Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

twin motors, one motor surges

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

twin motors, one motor surges

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 AM
jetdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin motors, one motor surges

need help guys ,have a concorde foamy with twin motors, running a 3 cell pack, with 2 12 amp esc's, one motor will run at full power, and stay consistent, but the other motor runs but surges, won't go to to full like the other, using a 72 fm radio, and a art-tech receiver, which I don't think really matters, just in case someone asks, could it be a bad esc? or a connection problem? scratching the old noggen
Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: twin motors, one motor surges

Brushed or brushless? If brushless I assume you have them wired in parallel using a "Y" connector .
Did you set-up each ESC before installing them or just used default programming?
You should set each ESC up separately(remove them from the receiver Y-connector and make sure both are set-up exactly the same.
Use heavy duty Y-connectors and as short as possible.
If the ESC's are set up the same and still one engine is jumping or surging then do some troubleshooting.
Swap the ESC and see if the same motor surges or if it moves to the other motor. If it moves then the ESC is suspect. If the same motor surges with the ESC's swapped then the motor is suspect.
If it shows the ESC is suspect then you can try setting that ESC to a different timing setting and try it.
Bad connections on the motor side will usually cause the motors to stutter back and forth, But it can't hurt to check all of the connections input and output.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM
jetdeck

thanks for the tips, will try them and get back with the results, i'm a glow flyer, this electric stuff is a real pain in the butt, how would I set the esc's up, and yes they are brushless motors, identical esc's, same motors, they all match, the distance from battery to esc's is 4-5 inches
Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 AM
jetdeck

got stupid ? if I use just one esc say a 30, or 40 amp, am using 2 12 ampesc's cause that is what it calls for, instead of 2 esc's would that work?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
vulcancruiser

If you run a twin electric with two esc's you need to disconnect the RED wire on one of them............otherwise you will be getting mixed signals sent out........with the signal wire unhooked on one side the remaining ESC will control both motors rpm.........or at least I think it should.........lol
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM
jetdeck

I swapped the motors going to the esc, and it traveled from one motor to the other, so I know it isn't the motors, or the connections, gotta be a bad esc, figures there from hobbyking, junk, just ordered 2 escs from tower got 2 25amp, will swap those out, also noticed that when I hook battery up and it initializes, it beeps 5 times, it should beep 3 times, cause i'm using a 3 cell lipo pack, right?, boy I just wanna scream!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand and model ESC? Can look at the manual and determine what 5 beeps represent. The manual will show you how to program it and it's typically done through a series of beeps and by moving the throttle stick .I agree with disabling one of the ESC's power wires. One of the ESC's should have the power lead (center red lead of the receiver plug) disconnected or cut as they send power to the receiver and you only need one ESC sending power. Having both sending power into a Y cable could cause problems.
I agree about the cheap HK stuff too.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 PM
jetdeck

I wish to thank everyone for there help with my problem, turned out I had a bad esc, threw away both hobbyking esc's, junk crap, and bought 2  electrify silver series from tower, now it runs and flys beautiful, very happy, thanks again my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!