Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cost of glow fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cost of glow fuel

[quote]ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: acerc
Avgas smells great, and stores for years and is much cheaper than Coleman or white gas. Last year when car gas sold for almost $4, Avgas sold for $6. Now, Avgas sells for around $5.40 at my local airport. Prices do vary greatly from airport to airport so I'd suggest that you check for best prices in your area, on-line
I wished I could buy avgas around here. Back in the day I used to run it in my hopped up cars and really liked it. I used an additive and the avgas and it was a very good performance alternative for us cheaper guys
Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK

And I certainly hope this doesn't turn into yet another pissing match about which gas is best. I use Avgas and that's it; all I'm gonna say about it.................

too late:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11506112
Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

I left Nitro two years ago because of the cost and oil all over the plane. Had to replace most of my fleet but it was worth it. I buy 5 gallons of gas at a time and mix 50-1. And I have not had to wipe an airframe down because of oil since. I just picked up 5gal and oil this morning, it was $34.06 total. That is 1-1/2 gals of nitro with all the mess.
Actually, half the gasoline volume is required for the typical flight compared to glow fuel. Stated another way, 5 gallons of gasoline/oil is equivalent to about 10 gallons glow fuel based on engine consumption basis (same amount of run time).

Assuming an average glow fuel price of 20 bucks (I know that's low, just trying to make a point), the 34 bucks for 5 gal gasoline/oil is equivalentto $200 for glow

Someone said they didn't like the smell of stinky gas, and I definitely agree; I am one of the ones that hates the smell of car gas. I use Avgas 100LL; I buy it at the local airport. Just bring my 5 gallon jug and fill it at the pump using a credit card. I make a bogus ''N'' number up and I get access. I hear that some larger airports do not sell to drive up customers but I haven't found that to be true here in Jersey.

Avgas smells great, and stores for years and is much cheaper than Coleman or white gas. Last year when car gas sold for almost $4, Avgas sold for $6. Now, Avgas sells for around $5.40 at my local airport. Prices do vary greatly from airport to airport so I'd suggest that you check for best prices in your area, on-line

Some fellows are finding pure gas at Marinas. Pure gas doesn't have all the stinky stuff in it as car gas does. It doesn't appear to exist in Jersey so that's out for me, but for you, it might be just the ticket in your area.

And I certainly hope this doesn't turn into yet another pissing match about which gas is best. I use Avgas and that's it; all I'm gonna say about it.................
your wasting your money running avgas in rc gas engines.

BV
Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I make a bogus ''N'' number up and I get access.

I'm not so sure I would go and be announcing this on a worldwide public forum ............
Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

I left Nitro two years ago because of the cost and oil all over the plane. Had to replace most of my fleet but it was worth it. I buy 5 gallons of gas at a time and mix 50-1. And I have not had to wipe an airframe down because of oil since. I just picked up 5gal and oil this morning, it was $34.06 total. That is 1-1/2 gals of nitro with all the mess.
Actually, half the gasoline volume is required for the typical flight compared to glow fuel. Stated another way, 5 gallons of gasoline/oil is equivalent to about 10 gallons glow fuel based on engine consumption basis (same amount of run time).

Assuming an average glow fuel price of 20 bucks (I know that's low, just trying to make a point), the 34 bucks for 5 gal gasoline/oil is equivalentto $200 for glow

Someone said they didn't like the smell of stinky gas, and I definitely agree; I am one of the ones that hates the smell of car gas. I use Avgas 100LL; I buy it at the local airport. Just bring my 5 gallon jug and fill it at the pump using a credit card. I make a bogus ''N'' number up and I get access. I hear that some larger airports do not sell to drive up customers but I haven't found that to be true here in Jersey.

Some fellows are finding pure gas at Marinas. Pure gas doesn't have all the stinky stuff in it as car gas does. It doesn't appear to exist in Jersey so that's out for me, but for you, it might be just the ticket in your area.

your wasting your money running avgas in rc gas engines.

BV
He has a point though. If I were into gassers, I would spend the extra money for "Av Smell"! Thinking about this, the smell of av gas would add a lot more realism to our flying rather than having it smell like your gardener is about!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just bought four cases of fuel at my local LHS yesterday. i like to buy in bulk so that i can save money on gasoline by not having to run back and forth to the LHS.

i like the power to weight ratio of the fuel-ees

to each his own

happy flying, capt
Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM
abelard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avgas smells great, and stores for years
The secret to both qualities is mercaptans, a class of organic compounds that (a) occur naturally in crude oil, and (b) stink, even in extremely low concentrations. If you have a gas leak in your house, the smell of mercaptan will tell you, because the gas company adds a fraction of an ounce per year to their gas for precisely that purpose. Take a whiz after eating asparagus, and your nose will tell you that its reaction with your body chemistry has generated mercaptan in your urinary tract.

Mercaptans also become gummy after long storage, and clog the fuel plumbing in your car. The FAA doesn't tolerate that in airplanes, so avgas is refined better.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Wagon1

I would love to move to gas, and for sport planes I will. The problem I have, is seeing a beautiful scale bird at the field, with every amazing detail, and being totally impressed. Right up until the pilot starts it up and it sounds like a piece of lawn equipment. The sound of gas engines is awful (not loud....awful). That is the same problem I have with electrics. We make our planes look like scale birds... but they sound like toys. Give me a nice, big sloppy glow 4 stroke any day.

Thank you, Thank you!!! I know what you mean, as I see it all the time. Guy has a beautiful 1/4 scale PA-18 Super Cub right down to pinking tape and rib stitching. Then he cranks it up. Horrible Horrible 2-stroke gas sound comes out of it. Sounds like a flying Stihl or Mcculloch chain saw, leaf blower ect ect....... Most annoying thing I see as a scale modeller. Awful just awful.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: abelard

which means roughly $5 a galleon for the nitro
You mean you can buy one of these for five bucks?

The number was the approximate effective cost of the nitro used to make a 10% mix in the prior post ($52/gal). But since you are so much smarter your math must be different.

ORIGINAL: sj3cub

ORIGINAL: Wagon1

I would love to move to gas, and for sport planes I will. The problem I have, is seeing a beautiful scale bird at the field, with every amazing detail, and being totally impressed. Right up until the pilot starts it up and it sounds like a piece of lawn equipment. The sound of gas engines is awful (not loud....awful). That is the same problem I have with electrics. We make our planes look like scale birds... but they sound like toys. Give me a nice, big sloppy glow 4 stroke any day.

Thank you, Thank you!!! I know what you mean, as I see it all the time. Guy has a beautiful 1/4 scale PA-18 Super Cub right down to pinking tape and rib stitching. Then he cranks it up. Horrible Horrible 2-stroke gas sound comes out of it. Sounds like a flying Stihl or Mcculloch chain saw, leaf blower ect ect....... Most annoying thing I see as a scale modeller. Awful just awful.
What about the 4 stroke gassers?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

A guy in our club has BalsaUSA cub powered with a large twin Saito gas engine. Sounds great.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I have a few warbirds running 91 OS four-strokes. The sound and smoke match the planes, and so does does the power. I also fly 10-12 minutes, not five like the electrics. And there's no smell of gas in the garage or the in the back of my suv. And no extra ignition systems, or batteries. I left out the part that I'm afraid of the gassers having witnessed three horrific accidents. I know, can happen with any engine/motor, but these didn't; they happened with gas and the memory is still in my head.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: abelard

Avgas smells great, and stores for years
The secret to both qualities is mercaptans, a class of organic compounds that (a) occur naturally in crude oil, and (b) stink, even in extremely low concentrations. If you have a gas leak in your house, the smell of mercaptan will tell you, because the gas company adds a fraction of an ounce per year to their gas for precisely that purpose. Take a whiz after eating asparagus, and your nose will tell you that its reaction with your body chemistry has generated mercaptan in your urinary tract.

Mercaptans also become gummy after long storage, and clog the fuel plumbing in your car. The FAA doesn't tolerate that in airplanes, so avgas is refined better.
I told my mom when I was a little kid that eating asparagus was just wrong.
Now I know why. It can gum up yer plumbing.

Just kidding for those who love asparagus,
and those who want to say I am jumping to conclusions.
And-I like it allgas, electric, and nitro. I burn 30% heli fuel, $33/gallon, at about a gallon every 2 weeks in flying season.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM
abelard

But since you are so much smarter your math must be different.
Ummm, no, it's just my English that's different. You spoke of galleons, so I showed you a picture of a galleon.

This, on the other hand, is a gallon.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
ssautter

AvGas is what amateur drag racers call 100LL.
Try running Jet A in your gasser and see what happens.

This type of amateur speculation is precisely why the American Real Estate Market tanked!
Leave the cost of fuel to the professionals, be good little consumers, and pay out-the-butt like you're supposed to....

Good day.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
abelard

I'm afraid I don't get the point of your post.

AvGas is what amateur drag racers call 100LL.
Of course it is. That's also what aircraft operators call it. 100LL is 100-octane, low-lead aviation gasoline.

Try running Jet A in your gasser and see what happens.
Whatever does Jet A have to do with it? Jet A is kerosene with some additives, and it's unrelated to avgas.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I've seen a number of threads like this over the years. I'm a glow guy and probably always will be. I don't like gasoline engines because of the smell mainly, but the noise is annoying. A gas engine makes an airplane sound like a chainsaw. No thanks. For me, prices of $15-$20/gal glow fuel are a thing of the past. Because of hazmat shipping fees and taxes, airplane glow fuel is ~$28-$32/gal. Car fuel is ~$32-$39/gal. I burn 1-2 gallons of car fuel (20nitro 12 oil), and 2-3 gallons of airplane fuel. Now I have a Jett .35 that is capable of burning 7oz of 15% in 5 minutes or less. My wallet would never keep up with that engine or my ST S90. I now make my own fuel for between $6 and $14 per gallon. I use cheap oil, cheap methanol, and nitro I got with free shipping. I'm happy.

Oh, and I too like a whiff of nitro in the morning... I also (gas guys - you're gonna think I'm nuts...) use only straight AA castor in my fuel mixes, no synthetic except for my car engines which get 12% oil at a 50/50 c/s blend. For aircraft engines, 20% castor is my norm, but my bushed and lapped engines get 25% castor. I am so cheap, I mix by weight too. 5% nitro is all I normally use except in the Jett.

Sometimes the steep up-front costs scare folks away from making their own fuel, but in the long run its saved me $$hundreds$$ of dollars. Now, I'm not pushing my method onto anyone. Just sharing. I don't complain about the cost of glow fuel because its so cheap for me.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Where do you get the nitro with free shipping, Amazon?

What are the ratios to make fuel? I run 15% is my 2 cycles and 20/20 in all my four cycles.

As long as I use clean containers that seal well, mixing up fuel doesn't seem all that difficult... But I could be wrong...

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

It's really easy if you only make/want one or two mixes. Break down the fuel into the three main components; oil, nitro, and methanol. We can use 20/20/60 for an example. 25.6/25.6/76.8 respectively. (In Fl. Oz, FYI) now if you want to run either all castor or all synthetic then this is easy. If you want to run a blend like 80/20 syn/cas, take the 25.6 oil number and split it. 20.48/5.12 in fl oz would be your oil amounts. I like to measure the methanol first, then oil, and nitro last. I use a graduated fuel bottle for RC cars to measure by volume. I have since started measuring by weight as its more accurate but to anyone else rather unnecessary.

Mix the ingredients in a jug, shake, go fly. If you find your homebrew fuel is bubbly, ensure your fuel tank is perfectly isolated like you normally would. I try to not use any deforming additives but if I need any, I use ArmorAll Original. One drop to a quart is usually enough. It breaks down and falls out of solution overnight so use up what you treat with AA the same day if possible.

Look at your various online consignment places like Amazon. Sooner or later you'll find Torco 100% pure Nitromethane. Through EBay, it was just free shipping off the bat. Amazon was my recent source and needed the Prime membership to get free shipping.

Castor is $33/gal shipped, Klotz synthetic about $49/gal, nitro 55$/gal, and methanol around me is about $2.25/gal just for reference.

Keep it clean!!!!! Dirty equipment and containers bode disaster.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I believe that most small airports will sell avgas if you bring in a suitable (red and approved) container.

By the way, I heard (can't say for sure it is true) that the octane of avgas is calculated differently than the octane of automobile gas. That is, 100 avgas would not be considered 100 octane if it were sold as automobile fuel. (The LL versus unleaded is different too.)
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Yes I work at an airport, we have alot of folks buy 100LL avgas for there sleds and for wheelers, I use to buy it for my race cars, most any airport will sell you avgas,
Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 AM
topspin

I really mis the smell of glow fuel with Castor oil. That is a smell that brings back good memories of they good old days of model aviation. Too bad that now even glow fuel smells different from the synthetic lubricants in it. Lets face it Nitro fuel and Castor oil was a mess and I hve seen more than one plane ruined by it. That day has come and gone, electric is the way to go up to .40 sized planes but for me gasoline is the clear choice on anything bigger.

Still, I really do mis the smell.[&o]
Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: topspin

That day has come and gone, electric is the way to go up to .40 sized planes
Uh, no.

After almost 30 years in the hobby, I made it up to 30% airplanes with 50cc gas motors. Less overall hassle, no doubt, but the odor is a big piece of baggage for those of us who keep our stuff in the house and have no trailer to haul/store it in. The only real drawback to glow power is the mess on the airframe. Somebody said that contributes to the demise of a model. Right.

Sure, if you don't ever clean it off, I suppose. Anyway, I have re-discovered .40/.50 sized glow-powered airplanes. I've still got a 27% Extra 260, and it flies great; but it is a major PITA to get from the house to the ride, and vice versa. I don't want any part of a trailer, for several reasons.

As for electric power... I'll pass.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Anyone thats been around the glow engine forum knows I'm a glow addict. I have some gasoline/ignition engines, but my prized engines are my glow engines. Their power and simplicity make them very good candidates for when light weight and high power is needed. I dont find the mess offensive in the least - that slimy castor goo all over everything means your engine is well lubed. A well lubed engine is a happy engine. My weedeater likes a little slosh of glow fuel in the gas too.

I tallied the cost of the 3 main fuel blends I make for my different engines. The cost of a gallon of fuel at the hobby shop is easily twice what it costs me to make my own. My expensive brew is for my Jett .35 at $16.31/gal. Cheapest fuel is for my Super Tigres, K&B's, and Enya's at $11.07/gal. This is using all castor oil (which I agree smells really nice compared to the synthetic stuff...) If I want to be real cheap, FAI fuel costs about $8 to make.

So cheap fuel can be had if you're willing to do a little extra work. I am a cheapskate, so this suits me fine. Oh, and cleaning castor goo up is super easy. A cotton rag and some clean methanol works slicker than goose grease.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
abelard

I heard (can't say for sure it is true) that the octane of avgas is calculated differently than the octane of automobile gas.
Some avgas has two octane ratings, one for rich and one for lean mixtures. For instance, most light airplane engines were originally designed for 80/87, which delivers 80 octane in the cruise (lean) condition, and 87 in the takeoff (rich) condition.

This fuel has been mostly replaced by 100LL (low-lead), which actually has more tetraethyl lead than 80/87, and delivers at least 100 octane across all mixture regimes.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 PM
abelard

I'm not so sure I would go and be announcing this on a worldwide public forum ............
No fraud involved. Airport fuel dealers are set up to service airplanes, and the N number is a blank on the form that the employee has to fill in. If the gas is paid for in cash, the only function that number performs is to tell the NTSB how much fuel the pilot bought before the crash.