Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

I think i'm going to get the HK-600gt help needed!

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

I think i'm going to get the HK-600gt help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
helicrazedout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think i'm going to get the HK-600gt help needed!

well i've had a trex 450 for about 5 years now and i think i am ready to take the jump to the 600 size. Is the HK-600 much different then the trex 600? the kit i am buying is from hobby king and it is only a bare bone basic kit no electronics, nothing! i am going to build her from the ground up the problem is i don't know any decent electronics. i want electronics that are decent but not overly expensive but that need to be able to handle fast paced flying. any help as to what to get would be appreciated!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM
helicrazedout

Default RE: I think i'm going to get the HK-600gt help needed!

Just forgot to add i'm gonna use a dx7 and ar7000 receiver. Do you guys think an align gp 750 gyro is good? (its the one from my trex 450) and in that case could i use the align ds520 tail servo for the hk or is it not the right tail servo, too small or whatever?? otherwise i still need servos, esc, electric motor. full electric build.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM
gi1mo2

You should have a look at the specs for the Trex 600. I have the HK 450 and HK 500GT. I have the Trex 450, Trex 500 and Trex 600 ESP. The 600 is way different than the 450 or 500. Much heavier machine, lots of power, and you certainly don't want to fly this in a park with people around. I had problems with the HK500Gt tail (twice failed). That's why I opted to stick with the name brand. And I haven't been dissapointed. I have had to rebuild the HK 500GT head because of vibration problems. Still has some vibrations, but I think I will be able to fly it this year.

I do have many Align GP 780 gyros, and I like them.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
helicrazedout

I will take another look at the trex 600 specs thanks, it's just the only problem is i don't have the cash to spend on the trex 600 at the moment and the deal from hobby king is only $130 which i find is super cheap!! Also to do with the power i was confused do i go for a 6s or 12s power lipos?? as for the tail failings.....i mean it is HK so doesn't that mean the parts are pretty interchangeable between align so i could go for an align tail and head if the HK stuff turns out to be bad.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
gi1mo2

Interchangeability - - up to a point. Depends on the model. For example, the head on the Trex 600 ESP is different from the original 600. I believe you will need 2 x 6S 3300mah batteries (total 12s). Remember that you have to fit the batteries in the body of that heli. That combination was a good fit in my Trex 600 ESP, and the reason I chose that is that it uses two of my Trex 500 batteries. The $130 deal is for the bare bones body. You will likely have to buy good blades and all of the electronics. Don't get the most powerful motor that will fit. I was stripping the gears on my HK500GT on startup even with slowest start possible. I ended up getting a Scorpion motor for it.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 AM
helicrazedout

Thanks for the advice i will take a look at the scorpion motors too. i can only imagine how much power the 600 holds!! it makes me jittery [X(] as for servos what can you recommend?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 AM
gi1mo2

Best is to look at the specs for the Trex, and get something similar.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Solman

I have read and responded on your other posts and want to share my experiences with you. If you are going to stay in the hobby and want to progress, stay away from the HK kits and similar ones. Parts are poor quality and will strip out easy when installing screws. I know because I went the same route you are. Going too cheap will hold you back and in the long run and you will end up spending twice as much because you will eventually buy better parts. Heli's are just plain expensive and have learned that it is something you just have to accept. I did the same thing and flew 450's for about 3 years before making the jump to the 600. My 600 cost me a lot to get the the better parts. Now that I have done so, I wish I would've sucked it up in the first place and got better stuff in the beginning.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
u2fletch
My Feedback: (1)

I was about ready to go the same route you are pondering when I decided to build a spreadsheet of all the parts I would need to do the build. Even with HK motor, ESC, gyro, and relatively decent servos, the price was rapidly getting significant. I took the advice of a local heli guy here and checked out some of the used machines available on the various forums. I found a genuine Align Trex 600 CF, which is what the HK600 is modeled after, with all Futaba digital servos, GY401, Align ESC and motor, brand new Curtis Youngblood Carbon blades, 2 canopies, etc all for $500. Great deal and now I have a perfect flying machine for less than what I was about to spend going the other route. A number of guys are unloading their older helis, or are upgrading to FBL, so with a little searching I think some deals can be had.

Am sure you have seen the HK600 build videos on www.myrcguide.com, so I am convinced you could build a decent machine if you are not planning on extreme flight. Like most of us, I don't think I have ever worn out an airplane, or peacefully retired a heli. They tend to expire rather dramatically and you dig out all the expensive pieces and put them in something else.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 AM
helicrazedout

Thanks for the replies guys, i definitely took your advice! i have opted to not get the hk-600 instead i did some shopping around and i think i found an amazing deal. The fact of the matter is i don't have the money for a trex-600 not at this moment in time being a university student and all (gotta save it for those friday nights nuff said! anyway i found a KDS-600E with flybar for the equivalent of about $480 at a local hobby shop brand new in the box so i bought it. Apparently the quality on the kds rivals that of Align i have read alot of good things. Anyway i am half way through the build and this looks like a solid helicopter! not to mention this is also my first proper build ever as the kit came totally disassembled.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Solman

I am not familiar with that brand. Looks likea logo 600 clone. Good luck with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 PM
helicrazedout

Thanks! clone or not i am happy and after all the bad reviews i just read on the hk-600 all i can say is dam that was a close one! i even phoned to cancel my order.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 AM
jeffdearduff
My Feedback: (25)

Its to bad you didn't get the HK600GT. It is a great helicopter. There are a few things in the kit that do need to be changed out but the rest of the kit is top quality. I spent $150 us for the kit and another $80 on replacement parts. Not a bad deal for a 600 size bird. This thing runs great. Your choice of electronics is where the quality of this bird comes in to play. If you buy cheap electronics then you get what you pay for. It's to bad you could have saved yourself some money. One thing you always find on these forms are the guys who say "only buy the name brand stuff." A trex 600 is $1000.00 new. No way I am going to pay that. I spent half that and I have a great heli.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Solman

ORIGINAL: jeffdearduff

Its to bad you didn't get the HK600GT. It is a great helicopter. There are a few things in the kit that do need to be changed out but the rest of the kit is top quality. I spent $150 us for the kit and another $80 on replacement parts. Not a bad deal for a 600 size bird. This thing runs great. Your choice of electronics is where the quality of this bird comes in to play. If you buy cheap electronics then you get what you pay for. It's to bad you could have saved yourself some money. One thing you always find on these forms are the guys who say "only buy the name brand stuff." A trex 600 is $1000.00 new. No way I am going to pay that. I spent half that and I have a great heli.
I can honestly say that you are incorrect. I bought the 600 and eventually replaced almost every part. Between slop issues and threads stripping out easily because the aluminum is so soft, it ended up being a waste of time and money. Also it is nowhere near a great heli. It may be great for the idea that you can get it in the air for less money. That is if that is all you are concerned about. It isn't about name brand, it is about quality and HK heli's just don't have it. The only Trex clone that I have seen that can match the quality is RC Aerodyne Chaos helis. I have used a few of their parts and have been quite pleased with them.