Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mississippi Afterburner

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mississippi Afterburner

Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mississippi Afterburner

There seems to be come confusion as to what kind of airplane came un-glued... Does anyone KNOW what the model was, and what kind/size engine was on it. The possible cause and some video would be cool too .

TIA,

Dan

P.S. Whats wrong Bobo ?? You still smoldering ?? [X(]

Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

It was a Tornado with K80 turbine. From what I have been told the wing came apart at the seam and once open the air rushed in a literally blew the airplane apart. If that is the case will someone please have these ARF builders put balsa leading edge stock to give some glueing surface for that seam. It cant be that much money. Just my .02
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

A technique I've used before is to run clear tape along the leading edge or aluminum duck tape to seal the leading edge

The aluminum duct tape simulates the shiny leading eye found on most planes
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
current control
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was my tornado that blew apart in midair. i have been busy with work this week, as soon as i have time i will post more.
Third flight on this bird.
the tornados fly great for a beater plane but...
k80 never had the chance to crank on it just taking it easy about 1/2 throttle and it exploded (mechanically not fire) the remains indicate that the inboard wing section opened up and blew apart catastrophically. i am not impressed with the mfg response. if they would have made any consideration i would get another and glass it. will post pictures later quite spectacular.someone ased if i crashed it, well not enough remains to crash looked like the space shuttle.great jet meat guys keep it up.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hated to see it, but did make a heck of a noise. Did not want to stir anything up or start a blame game, just heard someone had frame by frame photos of it.

I know someone that has one and I may be building it someday so would like to know of a cause or a fluke incident.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unluckiness..people at our field have been ripping these things full out. Make sure to put dowel in wing tube and dump 2oz of CA in booms to help strengthen airframe. I also glassed the booms on mine as well. Hope that helps. I think one of the booms ripped the block out of the wing due to not having enough glue on it thus shearing the other wing completely off. You can see where the boom ripped right out of the wing. Bummer since the Tornado flys real well. Sorry about your plane Chris
Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

I don't think I've ever seen that many pieces floating in the air from a single jet. I have a tornado as well that I dinged the wing on. The replacement wing cost Is around $300, ouch..
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

I don't think I've ever seen that many pieces floating in the air from a single jet. I have a tornado as well that I dinged the wing on. The replacement wing cost Is around $300, ouch..
Geez and the entire airframe is $400
Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Chris...had them on my computer. Here they are. I personally saw the remains as well and think it's a wash as to whether the booms ripped off or the wing opened up. I would perhaps give slightly more credence to the boom theory but in the end it doesn't really matter - they are both possibilities and both areas should be looked at if you own a Tornado. Unfortunately the photo I have is too small to blow up and get much info out of :-( We will be strengthening the boom mounts a bit and have already glassed the booms, taped the leading edge and used a ton of strengthening CA & Hysol on our own Tornado.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60312.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1881009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98580.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1881010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32193.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1881011  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Lol, I think the first picture might be of mine on the ground. It's got the same crooked wire struts and everything. One of my struts came loose and pulled me off of the runway. I wasn't very concerned because of the high grass until I got down there and saw the runway light [:-]

I remember reading in a thread somewhere that someone else had issues with the monokote on the leading edge of the wing coming off. I don't remember if there wing exploded as well or not.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:30 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Dude!!! Great photo sequence. Amazing shot when u thnk about it
Bummer bout the crash chris
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: current control

it was my tornado that blew apart in midair. i have been busy with work this week, as soon as i have time i will post more.
Third flight on this bird.
the tornados fly great for a beater plane but...
k80 never had the chance to crank on it just taking it easy about 1/2 throttle and it exploded (mechanically not fire) the remains indicate that the inboard wing section opened up and blew apart catastrophically. i am not impressed with the mfg response. if they would have made any consideration i would get another and glass it. will post pictures later quite spectacular.someone ased if i crashed it, well not enough remains to crash looked like the space shuttle. great jet meat guys keep it up.
What was the manufacturers response?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
NZjet

I expect you will find the booms ripped clean of the wing, then it "explodes" its happened a few times. thats why im moulding my own design tornado

Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 PM
vernonms

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I want to thank all who made it to MA. The weather sucked on Friday, but all of you made up for it with a perfect Sat. As most know, all proceeds from this go to a scholarship fund for the aviation dept. of the school who owns the airport. I appreciate you for putting up with me when I pushed the t-shirts and raffle tickets and the auction. It was good to see the regulars and the first timers like Barry from KingTech, George from DreamWorks, Mike from Global Jets, Clay, Greg and several others. I hope us southern rednecks did not scare you so much that you will be afraid to come back. Many thanks to Dawn and Bob-O for breakfast and all the other things they do for me. Thanks to Randy for the GREAT food Wed., Thurs, and Fri. nites. Soooooo good. The Sat nite dinner was great. It was fun to see rookies eat mudbugs. Too funny. You all went thru some cobblers and ice cream. Michelle, our Cajun airport manager, had nothing but compliments for you. You all made it easy for her, Dennis and me. David Reid could not make it this year due to work. He will be back in his usual form next year. One good thing about the rain is we gathered in the hanger and had a great time BSing which is a big reason we go to these events. Again, thanks, see you next year.

Vernon