Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Getting back into R/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM
dan42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into R/C

I was into r/c for a couple years. First I was racing electric stadium trucks and the track closed so I bought a T-Maxx....the T-Maxx was lots of fun! Then came the Savage...the beast. I would jump it off of dirt banks and try and climb huge mounds...good times! It looks like a lot of things have changed since I have been gone. I mainly want to bash at construction sites and am considering a couple of the Redcat models. Caldera 3.0, Volcano S30 and the Earthquake 3.5, I have read that parts are easy to get and that the vehicles are prone to breaking. My electric stadium truck broke parts all the time and I enjoyed fixing it. Same goes with the T-Maxx. The Savage never broke-ever....which I thought was the bees knees until I got bored by not having anything to tinker with or to try to improve/modify. So are Redcats fragile flowers that lose parts rolling through gravel or are they your usual R/C that breaks an a-arm when you slam into a car tire?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Getting back into R/C

ORIGINAL: dan42

I was into r/c for a couple years. First I was racing electric stadium trucks and the track closed so I bought a T-Maxx....the T-Maxx was lots of fun! Then came the Savage...the beast. I would jump it off of dirt banks and try and climb huge mounds...good times! It looks like a lot of things have changed since I have been gone. I mainly want to bash at construction sites and am considering a couple of the Redcat models. Caldera 3.0, Volcano S30 and the Earthquake 3.5, I have read that parts are easy to get and that the vehicles are prone to breaking. My electric stadium truck broke parts all the time and I enjoyed fixing it. Same goes with the T-Maxx. The Savage never broke-ever....which I thought was the bees knees until I got bored by not having anything to tinker with or to try to improve/modify. So are Redcats fragile flowers that lose parts rolling through gravel or are they your usual R/C that breaks an a-arm when you slam into a car tire?
i doubt you will have more issues with any of those redcat nitros than you did the Tmaxx.
the caldera and volcano are lighter...less mass=less damage if you crash.

redcat gets a bad rep from newbies who buy them (do to the good price point) and then blame the brand when they break. You already know well that RC's break. And you know that if you want one that rarely does break...plan to spend alot of money. Obviously a $200 or $300 nitro truck wont be as good as a $500 savage. But it will still be plenty of fun.
Ive had a backdraft 3.5...and my buddy had an aftershock 3.5. good engines...alot of power. My buddy had to replace rear pin holder...I replaced the steering servo and did have some issues with the 2 speed clutch. As with any RTR, you will want to check over all screws and such before running. Another thing newbs dont know to do.

I personally prefer the redcat brushless models. But plenty on here run the S30 and 3.0 models and like them. More than a few have dropped big block motors into the S30's! Lots of upgrades availble as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM
dan42

Thanks for the reply! I have it narrowed down between the S30 and the Caldera 3.0....the Caldera looks to be a little bit better built but the Volcano looks nice too....decisions, decisions.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I have it narrowed down between the S30 and the Caldera 3.0....the Caldera looks to be a little bit better built but the Volcano looks nice too....decisions, decisions.
volcano may be a tad faster (lighter)
but as you notice, the caldera has better suspension/chassis.
watch youtube vids of both trucks...then decide. thats what I do!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also what's nice about the Caldera is its a little longer and less tippy than the Volcano. Also the Caldera is kind of derived from a shrunken down earthquake, and will let you use some of its parts as upgrades.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 PM
dan42

I have decided on the Volcano! If you guys could tell me some of the common parts that break I will go ahead and order them with the truck!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
nitrosteve22

I have decided on the Volcano! If you guys could tell me some of the common parts that break I will go ahead and order them with the truck!
Front knuckle/hub,suspension arms and spur gears for starters. For the volcano/tornado's,just buy a spare of everything in the front thats plastic. It's not a matter of if, it's when.....