Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The Member who never came back

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Member who never came back

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Member who never came back

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/10_01/leader.htm

fliers1
AMA Leader Member
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An article that should be read by ALL members not just AMA. A lot of truth and some fiction. One Old Fart
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Face it: Being a new club member if you are even the last bit shy or apprehensive is tough. I was never one to barge in and suggest things, but I always like making friends at clubs. One RC club I belonged to would each month have EVERY ATTENDEE write down a suggestion, and then they would go around the room and listen to each one. Got more people involved rather than having the important few in control which I have seen at some clubs. That same club's president called me out of the blue once to talk, but he did it with everyone apparently. Good leadership helps, but some people will never be happy.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first joined the club I'm now in, I was a bit withdrawn as I was battling a period of depression but the guys made me feel like the rest of the club members.
I have served at several levels of club officer including president and at this time vice president as well as safety officer. Our club has always done its best to make new members feel welcome and appreciated. Yes, we've lost a member or two....one because he wouldn't abide by club rules especially concerning safety.
As I see it:
1) The club should do its best to make new members feel welcome and open to their input.
2) The new member should make some effort to show interest in the club as an organization not just as a place to fly.
3) Do not become a wall flower.
There are any number of clubmembers who are introverted. We have one or two ourselves as do most clubs. Some effort should be made to include them in club activities.
BTW, we have a few clubmembers who no longer fly but still remain as members because of the friendship and camaraderie.
We just wanna have fun
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting thread with a lot of great comments and sentiments.
Friendships are cultivated and sharing a common interest in model aviation ought to jump start that process...you would think.
The OP's comments about his experience I am sure have happened to many others.
You can try to point fingers as to why this typically happens, but I'm pretty sure that each case needs to be looked at on it's own merits.
At any rate, this thread is good food for thought next time you are having a good time with your buddies and you see a newbie who looks like he would appreciate a welcoming handshake and some comradery.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am flipping 180 on this...

The new guy is a PITA with all the questions and the help needed. Some of my free time, I am willing to share, but not all of it. The new guy should be the one making the effort to blend in. Sit around and be a sponge and not a know-it-all. Try to find a couple of guys at the same stage as yourself. lean on each other. Every question in the RC universe has been asked here on-line and answered. Do you really think you have to ask the same question again at the field? Do some reading, do some more reading, then again read some more.

Volunteer to help when the work details are announced. Find something that needs to be done and do it. The newbies should give back a bit for the time they need. Do we really need guys around that cannot solo? If you are going to talk politics or other controversial topics, how about taking it elsewhere... this is the place to talk airplanes.

Some of these guys have known each other for years and trust each other. Do you really think you are going to form that relationship in a month? Are you even going to be around next year? Hey, it is not easy making a friend... if it is one sided, it is not much of a friendship.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find if I don't go to a meeting I end up on two committees!  Guess we have a good club.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Notice the OP hasn't been back here, either. You guys are mean.
Fully realizing that most clubs don't give newbies the red-carpet treatment,
and don't line up for the gauntlet of handshakes and high-fives we all deserve,
REALLY now, if a model airplane nut can't find just one friend (and a reason to come back)
among a club full of model airplane nuts...
Seems like the problem lies with that individual.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Everybody in a club was a newbie at one time or another. If they made it, why can't you? It's been my experience that some people think everyone else is supposed to cater to them when they show up for a meeting or at the field. There's an old saying that goes, "If you want a friend, you have to be a friend." If you cop an attitude, expect to get the same in return.

Put on your big girl panties!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Boo hoo hoo. This is a hobby full on introverts and guys who don't have great social skills. It takes work to assimilate a new person, and many club members just aren't interested in putting forth the effort. Guess what- the new guy just isn't that important that the majority is willing to drop their conversations with their buddies to take an interest in him. Geez, it's a club meeting, not church! Me, I didn't mix all that well with the guys at the club meetings. I even spent one Christmas party sitting alone because I saved a spot for a guy who wound up not coming. But I understood that I was the new guy and the others didn't have any particular reason to take an interest in me. No one was mean, just indifferent. So I took the initiative to shake hands and volunteer and get myself noticed, to show the other guys that they should be interested in me. As it turns out, I made a lot of friends that way. There are way too many guys who show up to a club meeting, don't try to get to know people, then gripe because of the ''club mentality'' or the ''cliques.'' Did you ever think that expecting them to drop what they were doing because you walked into the room is a pretty big act of snobbery itself?
Some of those thoughts what I've seen, in that clubs, church groups and other groups tend to have similar trends.
The greatest problem I've had with these groups is that they need to realize that there are two types of people:
Ones that just want to simply go to church or fly models
Ones that want to run the organization and be much more heavily involved.

The problem is that the types who run the organizations and are heavily involved, tend to expect the same level of commitment from those who just want to attend on a more relaxed basis, while they will often never let them have much say in anything. Reality is that special interest groups often become somewhat clique like with their self-appointed leaders and everything else that comes with the territory. When I was at clubs, there were literally self-appointed leaders who would tell you, "don't step there", and literally do it themselves 5 seconds later. What those people need to understand, is that if they are going to make all the rules and decisions, then they should respect that others should not have to waste their time attending meetings just to take up space. The average member realizes that this small group of insiders is often going to run the show and be in charge in all situations, so why should they have to waste their time in futility when they are not one of the insiders. These groups should simply allow people to pay dues as members, realizing that not all will make the club their number one priority in life. The club will function the same as always, and nobody will ever notice an inkling of difference whether everyone is forced to waste their time sitting in meetings and attending functions or not. Other relevant issues are that some members live further than others, and have varying levels of commitment to other things in life.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The people who become very actively involved in club business invest a lot of personal time and effort into whatever needs to be done for the club to survive. Examples are emptying the trash barrels, keeping the mower running, keeping the neighbors happy, testifying in court about complaints, lawsuits, collect dues, run websites, etc. When these folks who dedicate so much of their own free time look upon other members who just want a more ""relaxed "" involvement with what it takes for the club to survive..it is only natural to see "cliques" evolve.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Live Wire

You bet I have seen some of these guys that take care of every thing including keeping them selves in office They can buy any and every thing they need, never build a plane or repair a crash. Most say they do not have the time is why they fly what they do Bow wow Yes I have been around!
And they need to get out of the house and away from work. Do I need to say more[:@]
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
karlik

I first started flying slope gliders in SoCal long ago. I learned at a small slope that almost nobody knew about, so there were never more than 4 of us there, often just 1 or 2 of us. I got AMA and joined a club. I went to all the meetings. I flew at the site a few times, but it was in a park and on the left and right side of the slope there were houses with HUGE windows overlooking the pacific ocean. I just ddn't feel comfortable flying there, but I did pay my dues, go to all the meetings, and so on. Whenever the club had a cleanup detail in the park, I showed up and helped pick up trash. The club had a program to get schoolkids interested and I threw in 20 bucks to help pay for a few cheap trainers. Aside from not feeling confident flying there yet, I was a very active member.
At one meeting they had a raffle for a Futaba radio. I bought $10 worth of tickets and as the club treasurer took my money and started to hand me the the tickets, I heard a loud voice say "I hope he doesn't win - he's never even flown at the field" followed by another that said "Yeah - they shouldn't even sell him tickets".
I didn't take the tickets, told the secretary to keep the money, and left.
I know exactly what the original poster was saying, and totally agree with him.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Live Wire

I look back over the past 30+ years and see the change, and wonder why I ever started the club in the first place. Being told to not let the door hit you in the ***** 0n you way out[8|
and be ware of the people that never go to RC Forums, they know every thing that is posted there
Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
rs917

What a depressing thread. I agree with the OP 100%. The vast majority of newbies are not expecting everyone to crowd around and offer help, free parts, dinner, and drinks but rather just to have their existence acknowledged. Far too often I go to events and it's as if everyone avoids so much as making eye contact with me. Anyone getting into a new environment isn't going to be super-pushy or gregarious but somewhat tentative. Being completely ignored doesn't help. 

Again, we're not talking about babying every new guy who comes in the door. We're talking about having some common human respect and a desire to see the hobby expanded. 

Sure am glad I'm getting out of the hobby now. If RCU is representative of the majority of RC modelers, then.....what a bunch of jerks.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I don't think the OP's point was to whine about something, rather to point out a problem that some clubs may have. If a club is struggling to get new members but not treating the ones they have very well, then they're running in circles. I joined a club for the first time last year and everyone has been more than nice and helpful, albeit I didn't show up with a million and one questions and didn't ask everyone to help me, I studied and bought a .40 size trainer and all else I needed to go with it and after a pre-flight check by one of the members and a few tips off we went, now I have 7 planes and I built one of them, there's no end in sight! lol
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: vpresley

I would be pro-active, not passive. I would volunteer for what interests me. I would help out at the field every chance I got. I would try to interest my friends to come out also. Your experience is what you make of it, not what others do or think of it. Its been my experience that what you put in to an hobby, is what you get out of it. The rest of the things you seem to want will come with time, but only if you make the effort and not just sit back and wait for something to happen.
Yup, you, Combatpigg and Jester have it spot on.

In our club it's fun to watch those with that type of attitude quickly BECOME the "inner circle" because of their involvement.

The members who have been doing all of the work for years, look to such "new blood" to keep things vibrant and growing.

Those who usually claim to be "completely ignored" tend to make very little effort.

They SHOULD ask questions galore too... However if the latter is rebuffed, find a better club member to ask!

People LOVE to have others listen to them... and there is no better way to be part of the existing membership than by letting others give you advice, or answer your questions.