Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4 stroke exhaust deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke exhaust deflector?

Ive looked it up but there are so many different opinions so I had to ask, can you use a standard exhaust deflector of a 4 stroke glow engine? Specifically a thunder tiger f-75s, I have to get the exhaust out of a cowl.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4 stroke exhaust deflector?

Silicon tube is good
Old 05-12-2013, 11:52 PM
mike109

G'day

Yes, you can use them. I use one on a Saito 62 to get to exhaust out of the cowl of a Space Walker. I use a cable tie to make sure it does not come off the muffler. The Saito mufflers have a lip on the end which helps with this. If your muffler does not have some sort of lip, you may need to engineer one so that the cable tie has something to hold against. A couple of turns of wire and some 24 hour epoxy may work.

Cheers

Mike in oz
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

Yes, you can use them. I use one on a Saito 62 to get to exhaust out of the cowl of a Space Walker. I use a cable tie to make sure it does not come off the muffler. The Saito mufflers have a lip on the end which helps with this. If your muffler does not have some sort of lip, you may need to engineer one so that the cable tie has something to hold against. A couple of turns of wire and some 24 hour epoxy may work.

Cheers

Mike in oz

If there is no lip on the end of the muffler exhaust, simply drill a small hole through both sides near the end of the exhaust, thread a small diameter brass or copper wire through the hole and then around the muffler, and then solder the overlapped ends together. Forms a lip for the tubing/deflector to catch against when the tye wrap is used. Simple, but effective.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 AM
mike109

G'day

Sounds good. Do you have a photo or drawing?

I was lucky. The Saito I needed to do this to already had a lip. The earlier ones don't though.

Ta

Mike from Oz
Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

Sounds good. Do you have a photo or drawing?

I was lucky. The Saito I needed to do this to already had a lip. The earlier ones don't though.

Ta

Mike from Oz
Not my original idea, but will try to draw one in ACAD and post it here. But, basically envision a circle that is the muffler end bisected with a wire through two holes acreos the diameter. The wire goes through one hole, through the opposite hole, then around the muffler end and then back through the same hole to the first hole. Then twisted and soldered.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Awesome, thanks guys. Yes there is already a small lip that will probably work.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

You can use a soft aluminum tube or even copper pipe from Home Depot or Loews.  But you will have to do the wire trick to ensure it stays in place.  Four stroke gas temperatures are pretty hot as there is no expansion volume like the two stroke mufflers have.  I have no experience with the silicone tubes but see them in tuned pipe applications.  Good luck.