Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

New: Find Rc Flying Fields with Google Maps

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New: Find Rc Flying Fields with Google Maps

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New: Find Rc Flying Fields with Google Maps

Find Rc Flying Fields With Google Maps

I'm pleased to announce a pre-release of what we're dubbing the Field Finder for rc airplane clubs and flying fields and invite you all to take a test drive.

http://www.controlchat.com/field-finder/

Everything you see was created by and for the rc community, which means we're looking for your input and help in furthering this tool to better serve and expand the hobbies reach into our local communities.
Please feel free to post your comments (good & bad)on this thread as we'd love to hear from the community that drove the development of this tool. I also welcome any discussion...
    [*]Do you like what's there?[*]What more would you like to see?[*]Do you think this is valuable to the community?[*]Is it easy to use?[*]What else would you like done?[/list](Please Note: This is a pre-release version and not a complete model. We're continually improving the technology & design and are currently in the process of assembling another portion of the Field Finder to help flying clubs reach out across the America's.)

Thank for your time everyone & cheers!

_andrew
    Director of Development, controlchat.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39453.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1384546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21221.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1384547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95049.gif
Views:	326
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1384548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87932.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1384549  
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 AM
swede5
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New: Find Rc Flying Fields with Google Maps

I don't know if you are aware of GPutt33's efforts along the same lines. He has had an Excel file for his master coordinates list and an integrated file for Google Earth that has been out for quite some time (http://gputt33.multiply.com/journal/...ordinates_File).

If the two of you were to coordinate your efforts who knows where it would go!!!

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
apwachholz

swede5 -

Actually, I'm in contact with Mr. Putman as we type. I will most certainly keep the thread up to date on the latest events as they occur. Thanks for the feedback and additional information. Take care!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
NCBrit

i made one of those a few years ago using gputts database. never made it public though. good work.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, this might be pretty cool if apw likes my info. I know the AMA does a pretty good job on the coordinates, but a LOT of times when you go to look at where the Club is physically located someone hasn't really supplied them with the correct coordinates. Sometimes it's within the view of the screen, other times it's in another State or on another continent......... Sometimes those pesky little negative signs get put in the wrong place or just omitted completely

I really don't know what has happened to the Google Earth file but all of a sudden it's getting downloaded a LOT. I keep track of the downloads (yea, I know, kind of a geeky thing - wife mumbled something else, didn't quite catch it ). It had dropped to about an average download of around 4 to 7 times a day from a previous download about 2 years ago of around 20 to 25. Now all of a sudden it's being downloaded an average of 55 to 60 times a day by someone(s).

I figured if I ever tried to create a site like Control Chat that I would need some proof to advertisers that people actually downloaded the file. As of 2-19-2010 it's been downloaded 20,536 times and the page has been viewed 293,226 times as of right now. I've had the file up on Google since about April 28, 2006.

If anyone is reading this for the first time and wondering what the heck I'm rambling on about here is a link to an RC File in Google Earth I've created:

[link=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=403002#Post403002]2200+ Remote Control (RC) Airplane Clubs & Runways [/link]

Great work on the site.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Red B.

If you happen to travel to Sweden you are welcome to visit any of the 209 R/C flying fields we have available:

[link=http://www.freewebs.com/propellerhead/index_google.htm]Swedish R/C flying fields in Google Map[/link]
Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
apwachholz

Red B. -

With with the popularity of Google Maps growing, we're finding that people are becoming more and more comfortable using online mapping software (i.e. it's becoming more acceptable). And the fact that some of it is more or less Open Source code, the general population can customize it like you did with the creation of your clubs map.

Isn't technology great... (Now if I could only read Swede....)
Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, but only if you can program in Perl, Python, C or C++, right?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 AM
apwachholz

ggraham500 -

To build within the paramters of the Google Maps API you would need a strong knowledge of javascript &php. Google gives you access to all its building tools since they want the general public to imporove on the future builds (i.e. free bug-testing). If you're a 'tech head' like myself and are looking to do something like Red B., it's not as complicated as it first appears.

But then again, I'm only one of many developing for the Field Finder - and I'm not nearly as smart as some of the others on the team.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 AM
apwachholz

13 May 2012:Update

For anyone who may run across this thread, the above Field Finder has been updated and now allows anyone to add a location of a flying field or update any field's information. A friend of mine and Idid a massive overhaul on the mapping tool and you can now finding locations by selecting a region on the map.

Disclaimer: There are errors in the field locations or information, but hopuflly you can help correct this (see above).These locations were pulled from AMA data approx. 2 years ago. It's a community tool, so the more contributions we get the more accurate it will be. Thanks all.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tried to update our field site data. Using your tutorial and the site would not save the data.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder what's been fixed,, both the clubs I belong to are Fubar on that site still
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM
apwachholz

@MajorTomski
Sorry about that. What location where you trying to update? I have noticed that certain locations error out when editing so as an alternative I'm thinking of adding a traditional submission form (e.g., email the information).Any feedback would be great so we can trouble-shoot.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
apwachholz

@scale
Ur info is still in the db per our last interaction. Unfort, my developer hasn't had time to clear the data tables of the entries you submitted. Ergo, I can't update the locations yet. Also, regading your concern about incorrect locations:
The reason why some field locations are incorrect is because the information we collected via the AMA website, at the time, were club officer home addresses. After a conversation with the AMA they acknowledged that this was the case with some clubs - since some flying fields technically don't have an address (e.g., country road, to your left, drive 200 meters, etc.). So what the AMA provides via its site are essentially two sets of data:
  1. Contact information
  2. Field information
We are only able to scrape the Contact information which typically IS the field's information. However, if the correct location information is in the Google Map you click on, we can't collect that data (bummer). So that's why, in some cases, there's a disconnect. We knew this going forward building the tool. The goal is to join the contact information with the field information - create a single location for all your flying field information needs. Its a lofty goal but, I believe in the model avation community and would love to see it happen.
Its a free tool and yes, it has its hiccups but, something worth having doesn't come easy. Sorry for the bumps...

Cheers!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: apwachholz

@MajorTomski
Sorry about that. What location where you trying to update? I have noticed that certain locations error out when editing so as an alternative I'm thinking of adding a traditional submission form (e.g., email the information). Any feedback would be great so we can trouble-shoot.

TORKS in Oklahoma City. The field does actually have a street adress: 4000 S. Lake Hefner Dr. The address you have is for our club secretary.

You are aware that the AMA was collecting flying site Lat/Lon data for over a decade now.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ooh, it's a free tool?? that makes it OK then,,, WADR,, the info on the AMA site is correct for field information and google mapped locations, Our club info hasn't changed in five years, your site has mistakes. Don't blame the AMA site for you trying to take a short cut and then not wanting to take the time to verify and fix any info.

p.s.
It's obvious to me that a glitch exists when one club has 2 fields, that is likely why both of my clubs info is fouled up,, good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM
apwachholz

@MajorTomski
I am aware that the AMA has been collecting this data for quite some time. And by no means am I attempting to one-up the AMA or discount its information. It's a great organization. The Field Finder is my attempt at gathering all model aviation flying field info and locations (AMA and non-AMA) and displaying it in a Google Maps-ish format.
@Scale
As usual Scale, it's been a pleasure speaking with you.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 AM
nk3t

You have the incorrect old information for my local field, as it has me as the contact. I attempted to edit, but it will not allow me to remove the information. The website has no "Contant" page. What a mess.

Do you have the written permission of the AMA? If not, you are violating the AMA terms of use, and I do hope they shut you down.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

And just to make sure everyone knows one thing, I started my database of actual rc field locations before the AMA ever even thought about it and I have the dates to prove it. I also helped QC a lot of the field coordinates for D-8 due to folks trying to send in the correct info to AMA but now knowing how to.

Just for what it's worth.............