Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Lack of maintenance story

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lack of maintenance story

We've all read those posts about owners who suddenly discover they've run out of ARO and are worried for the few days it might take to get to their LHS. Or those guys who havn't ran the engine for a while and now it won't start... probably due to a gummed carb. And let's not forget the fellows who blame bad fuel for a no-start situation (which can happen, although I find it very rare).

I've never been one to bother with ARO, and I've often given advice about cleaning the carb to get it going vs tearing the engine all down. This evening I found myself in a similar postion to those other guys. My old OFNA buggy, with a NitroStar 25 transplanted from a Savage 25, has been sitting on a shelf for quite a while now. It was either last Spring, or possibly the one previous to that since I had it going. This evening seemed a good time to give it a spin.

While the Rcvr, glow-driver and roto-start batteries were charging, I decided to check the engine. Flywheel stuck solid. It finally moved, but not easily and I could feel it was quite gummed up. So I poured a little alcohol down the cylinder and using a syringe, squirted more alcohol into the carb nipple. I had the exhaust off, so I rotated the engine and holding the buggy vertical untill all the alcohol pooured out. Had a rather nasty tinge of colour to it, but that might just have been colouring from the fuel residue.

Next I went to decant some fuel from my gallon container to my fuel bottle only to find the fuel bottle still half full from last year. "Oh-oh.... this probably isn't good" I thought, but filled the buggy's tank with it anyway.

By now you are expecting the engine started right up (because why else would I be writing this?), and if so... you are correct. Not only started right up, but idled well and ran great.

Maybe I was just lucky, but this buggy is stored in an unheated garage and the air is salty and humid from the ocean, so that's against things too. I'm certainly not advocating to never use ARO, or leave your RCs out in the cold all winter, or never do maintenance, but with this latest story, plus lots of other similiar experiences due to my laziness and forgetful nature, I would advise people not to give up on an engine just because it sat unloved for a while.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lack of maintenance story

Yes these little engines can be pretty hardy, personally I enjoy the maintenance side of the hobby...but we are all different.
Thank for the report Argess, I always enjoy your little threads.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lack of maintenance story

Thanks for sharing this. It's good information and I agree with Anthoop, your posts are always extremely informative.

I used to be fanatical about ARO. As you know when you are new you constantly read/hear about how you should use it. However, I'veheard a lot ofexperiences like yours - where people don't use it and have no problems.

On the flip-side, I cannot recall ever being informed where someone stated their engine has been damaged due to NOT using it. Consequently I'm no longer adamant about using it after every single run. If I let an engine sit for multiple weeks, I'll probably still use itjust because. ;-)