Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Stripped grub screw...will this work?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stripped grub screw...will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped grub screw...will this work?

I was changing the bearings on my son's buggy and stripped one of the grub screws that go into the drive shaft that holds the pin on the wheel hub. I tried everything (heated it with a micro torch, all sorts of hex drivers, etc). I guess I put too much thread lock last time I changed them - it's hard putting just a 'dab' on those small things. Ugh

I understand there are screw extractor sets, reversed bits, etc. This thing is stripped sideways to Sunday.

I'm thinking of getting an allen key that will fit snug with it, and put something on the tip that will allow it to bond it to the screw and then twist it out. Will CA glue or Gorilla Gluework? Or do I need something like JB Weld?Thanks

Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stripped grub screw...will this work?

Try JB weld. but make sure it you ONLY glue the screw hole, DO NOT glue the screw in. You will NEVER get it out if you do that. Good luck...
Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'm in the same boat as you are, JohnP2. My Lunchbox's grub screw is glued tight. I'm going to try Citristrip today; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Citristrip...ipper/17209363
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use a Dremel and cut it or drill it out.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: samguan

Use a Dremel and cut it or drill it out.
Thanks...the challenge is that I have little room to work with going through the wheel hub. Idoubt I have the skill-set (patience)to tactfully cut it with a dremmel. Not even sure what bit I would use for it. Want my son to race Wed before I get after it as I'm certain their will be some lateral damage. I'll try the JB Weld and let you follow up how it worked out.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Good news on my part! Citristrip got the screw out after applying one time! It seems to be the enemy of Loctite.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
pcarluvr

I know this is an old post but I just heard a good way to handle this and thought I'd share. Use your soldering iron to heat the part/screw and it will loosen the loctite enough to remove the screw.