Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

clp.eng

I know how frustated it is when you have to cope with equipment problems while learning how to fly. I've tried replacing bent shafts before and my success rate is around 50%. Those shafts sometimes appear to be welded to the armature and you just can't hammer them out.

I learned to fly with the Parkzone J-3 cub about three years ago and thought it was and still is a great little plane. We flew the J-3 with brushed motors then and they lasted about 25 flights before they started losing power. However, they were only $9.95 each which was not bad.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Rimripper

Hello all I was just wondering what you guys thought over the j-3 bl model over the hz super cub,wondering more of flight charicteristics between the two,will the j-3 electronics handle a 400 bl -480-bl Im liking the bl unit a little more as it will be a bit cheaper to upgrade motor than the super cub.If you could all give me your thoughts on this,I've learned to fly on my own with the hz mini-super cub,this little plane has tought me how to ground take off,land,touch and go,loops,dive rolls and so on Ive put about 20 batt packs through it without having to put on any of the replacement parts I bought for it so I think I want more power!If you read this and you have experiance with them plz give me your thoughts! Happy flight folks!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 PM
westphill24

Quick question. I just bought a lot of parkzone j3 cubs and I have 2 working. I tried to fly them today and it seemed like they didn't have enough power and both came nose down. The batteries seemed to charged on my peak charger and the motor seemed fine but they are used. Is this plane kind of underpowered to begin with or do I need new equipment.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

What kind of batteries are they? If they are NIMH, then cycle them a few times and try again. If they are lipo, then the plane needs a new power plant.
What charger do you have?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
hray2

Yes the J3 cub is marginally powered when new. If you have used equipment that has some time on it, then it will be very hard to get in the air under the best conditions(very low wind ect). The brushed motors deteriorate with each flight and after 20 or so flights they should be replaced. The oem motors are only about $10 so replacement would help. I replaced mine with a Venom motor which is a lot more powerful than stock motor and if you shop around you can get it for less than the stock motor price.
There are closeout prices on cub parts at this site, they have the motor and for $6.95
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Airpl...e&Item=pkz1100
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200402354

Venom Fireball motor on ebay here http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-VMG-Fireba...d=p3286.c0.m14
Hope this helps.....
Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 AM
westphill24

I have the duratrax pirahna charger, its always served me well. Also I do have a reedy 19t motor but how would I switch the motor rod? Also
Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

That is a decent charger because it is a peak charger. You didn't mention what kind of batteries you are running, and since you have a Pirahna charger, I wll assume it is NIMH batteries. So with that in mind, you need to cycle your battery a couple of times so it will reach its full potential.
If you are talking about the motor shaft, I would say it is better to get a new motor than mess with that one.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can any body please tell me if they know where the CG is on the park zone cub. I did some up grades and now she flys like a roket tail haging all the time.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

25% to 33% of wing chord from leading edge is the general rule for any plane. If the wing chord is 6", then Cg should be between 1.5" and 2" from leading edge.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM
giddyuperic

Thanks I am going the 33% of the wing right along the side the plane. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
giddyuperic

Have you guys ever heard of breaking in a brushed motor under water? And does it make a big difference in if you do or don't break it in water or not? Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM
hugger-4641

should be no need to break in an electric motor, can't imagine why you would want to do it under water either, where do you hear that?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 AM
giddyuperic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFX7idWlH0 They say it less hard on the motor I had never heard of it too tell I saw this I don't think it matters on a stock parkzone plane but some of the high performance ones I guess .
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
leadfootdriver

I have an original brushed j3 that I just pulled out of my attic and it's in near perfect condition the wing has a little hangar rash from about 3 moves and the plastic struts are missing but I can replace them with some slightly flattened brass tubing but when I pulled it out and looked it over I couldn't igure out why it had been stored until I plugged in the battery after charging it the plane refuses to bring itself online it wont power on at all and it's never gotten wet and I repaired everything when it crashed and it still worked after that I even got some flights in but one day it started doing this anyone have any idea's?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM
leadfootdriver

I have an original brushed j3 that I just pulled out of my attic and it's in near perfect condition the wing has a little hangar rash from about 3 moves and the plastic struts are missing but I can replace them with some slightly flattened brass tubing but when I pulled it out and looked it over I couldn't igure out why it had been stored until I plugged in the battery after charging it the plane refuses to bring itself online it wont power on at all and it's never gotten wet and I repaired everything when it crashed and it still worked after that I even got some flights in but one day it started doing this anyone have any idea's?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM
giddyuperic

Has any body put a brushless motor on one of these if so can you tell me how or point me to the forum that talks about and how they did it please and thank you.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM
hugger-4641

To install a brushless motor on the old brushed J-3, first you have to change the firewall, or at least the motor mount portion. You also have to use a brushless ESC, which may not work with the stock 27mhz radio if you are still using that. Go to the Hobbyzone.com home page, then go to Parkzone- discontiuned products link, and compare the components for the original brushed Parkzone J-3 and the J-3BL. You should be able to see most of the differences by comparing the two pages. The wings, fusalage, and all the other hardware is the same, just the motor and electronics that are different between the brushed and brushless versions.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM
giddyuperic

Thanks I got it I have ordered a sweet motor mount for it and just going to run the 480 motor and 30 amp ESC out of the T-28 with a AR500 receiver and she will be good to go. Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 AM
hugger-4641

I guess if you want a crapy flying plane that will do 3D , your plan will work. You'll have plenty of power, but that motor is a little too heavy for that airframe. It will work, but it will be nose heavy unless you add a ton of tail weight, which will make it fly like a brick. The stock motor for the J-3 BL is a 380. A 400 would probably be a better choice. Just my opinion.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM
giddyuperic

The whole brushed set up weighs 138 grams and the 480 is 105grams so I don't think it will be a problem and I have plenty of gassers for 3D flying this is just some thing to do and take to the park and have some fun. So thanks for you input but I am just having fun with a foam air plane. I have a 480 e flight motor that I might use it as I said just having fun.