Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR Servos For A Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR Servos For A Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default JR Servos For A Trainer

Jet Rookie here - What size JR servos should I use on the elevators, ailerons, rudder, and flaps on a Jetmach 60? Thanks for the help. Chic
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: JR Servos For A Trainer

Based on the size of that jet you really don't need super high torque/high dollar servos. On the other hand, you will want something better than "standard" servos. I would suggest DS8231's or DS3421's if you want to stick with JR.

Craig
Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep... what he said.

I build a lot of my models "On the cheap"... but I try to be safe. Since you will have more money into a turbine model, over a regular prop plane... I would recommend metal gears. But... you don't need "Mega-Torque, High-speed, Digital" servos. Some may argue... but... it's up to you, and your budget.

Personally... I've been using Power HD servos for the last 4 or 5 years. They are cheap, and are as good as most name brand servos. AND... honestly... I think they have beat the quality of Hitec, and are the fraction of the price (I've had too many failures with Hitec over the years to even give them another chance)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 AM
redtail

Guys, I really appreciate your advice. Will certainly follow through as you have noted. Chic
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

I've been flying a jetmach 60 for the last 2 years using Hitec 645's. no problem.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16604.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1881274  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just an idea, if you can stand hi-tech they sell hs-645MG, metal gear non digital. You can get them from amazon for $26. I used them alot in a trainer jet I had, never had an issue with over 100 flights.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
redtail

Hey guys, I know I can buy a cheaper set of servos (HiTech) other than JR, but for some reason, I just do not like to mix different manufacturers equipment (JR Tranx-HiTec Servos-Spectrum Rec, etc.). How do you guys feel about doing that? Chic
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: redtail

Hey guys, I know I can buy a cheaper set of servos (HiTech) other than JR, but for some reason, I just do not like to mix different manufacturers equipment (JR Tranx-HiTec Servos-Spectrum Rec, etc.). How do you guys feel about doing that? Chic
Everybody does it Chic. Even the Futaba guys like to run JR servos. It's more of a personal preference thing. For me, the bigger/more expensive the jet, the more I am inclined to stay with JR. Having said that, many guys are very happy with alternate brands.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The spektrum 6020 servo would be a good choice. It uses JR style servo arms and connectors. The price is reasonable too.
Vin...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Dr Honda

I mix servos all the time, within the system. In my falcon... I have JR, Futaba, Power HD. And... just to add to that... I fly it with a Spktrum AR9000 Rx, and a JR x9303 Tx.

Just don't mix critical servos. So... for example... if you have a servo for each aileron... they should be the same... just so they run at the same speed.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. I mix them every time I've ever built one and I've been building since the late 60's. I'm kinda like Tony, I don't over do but I stay safe as well. There are some Hitechs I won't use if given to me But by the same Tokin, the 645 is Kind of a flagship servo for them and have used many of them. Chic, I also have that jet with another kit in the box and would have no Prob using 645's all the way around on that jet. Let me know if you want a Jetmach Sport 60 kit. That would be the next step up.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
redtail

You fellows are very helpful, learned a lot from each of ya. Hooker53, will keep your offer in mind. Thanks everyone. Chic
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
redtail

While I am getting all this wisdom, how about directing me toward the right JR receiver to use. I want to run A123's for receiver power. Thanks in advance. Chic
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Dr Honda

While I am getting all this wisdom, how about directing me toward the right JR receiver to use. I want to run A123's for receiver power. Thanks in advance. Chic

What Transmitter are you going to use?

You can use LiFePo4 Batteries with any Rx unit. (A123 is a brand of Life battery)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 AM
redtail

Transmitter: JR 12X
Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 AM
CraigG

I would go with the JR 1221X, 12 channel. Probably more channels than you need right now but might as well have them for a few extra bucks. You can plug your A123's through on/off switches right into the rx (although some guys prefer to use regulators). You could also go with the more expensive 1222X which uses a "soft switch" if you think you will need higher current capacity for future jets. Both these rx's are compatible with DSM2 and DSMX technology, depending on which version your 12x transmitter has.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Everybody does it Chic. Even the Futaba guys like to run JR servos.
Just dadgum lovely...way to go, Craig, now the cat's out of the bag

Sluggo

P.S. I just learned over on the Boomerang Nano thread that the JR DS821 (JRPS821) is perfectly ok for a Nano - Sprint, too - so this might be a good choice for a Jetmach 60, giving a very good price-point for JR quality.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: CraigG

...... Both these rx's are compatible with DSM2 and DSMX technology, depending on which version your 12x transmitter has.

Actually... you have to be careful with that. They are SUPPOSED to be compatible... but they aren't always. I have a x9303 that is DSM2. It works with almost all the Rx units (2 or X) but it doesn't work with the newer X-plus receivers. It will bind, and function... but the bind lights are continually flashing. When I brought the issue up with Spektrum/JR... they said that my transmitter is bad, and needs service. Well... I called BS on that, since it's rock solid on all the older receivers. I think the new X-plus system had a change in protocol to achieve more than 12 channels, and the older radios don't know how to talk to it properly. (think about it, you can turn the X-plus on and off in the newer Tx's) But, as long as Spektrum/JR say it's the transmitter's fault... the customer has to pay for the upgrade in the software.

Now... I'm not opposed to paying for an upgrade on an older radio... but I thought it was kind of ****y on the way they are handling it. (FYI... I'm not the only one with this issue) I really think they should just fess up, and say... "The older radios aren't compatible with the newer Rx's". at least that way... people won't keep looking for a solution.

Regardless... if you have a DSM2 12x... just make sure what ever Rx you buy, is not an X-plus receiver, and you should be fine.

Now... going on what Craig is saying... find an AR12000 or x12001 or... the like... and you will have full function. Even though, it's a trainer... you will find that you can burn 8-9 channels easy in the jet. (adding flaps, crow, and brakes)

I'm not a fan of anything extra. Since you are going to use LiFe batteries... there is NO REASON to install a regulator. (it's just a failure point, and more expense) Also... there isn't a reason to get a soft switch Rx. (unless you get a good price) here again... it's just added expense.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 AM
redtail

What a great conversation. Hope to get a chance to fly with you guys one day. Hope to get up to Hamburg, Pa to observe the two Jet Events this summer. By the way guys, my next jet "HAS" to be the TBM DV8R. My wife purchased it for me, surely I can not commit social suicide by not building that airframe for her to see fly. You get my drift. Smile. My ultimate airframes are the Skymaster T-33 and finally, the Skymaster F-104. I am an old pylon racer who has sat on the sidelines watching you jet guys have toooooo much fun. Chic
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM
CraigG

Chic,

Put Super Jets South on your calendar, Sept 26-29. Not that far a drive for you and you wouldn't be disappointed. The website hasn't been updated yet for the 2013 event but all the other info here is current:

http://georgiajets.org/

Craig
Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 AM
redtail

Will Do Craig, see you there. Thanks. Chic