Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

How anyone can criticize the flying characteristics of this one is way beyond me Christian.
Theres not much to complain about on this just nit picking since you asked.
As I mentioned above in the original post. NO IDEA what your problem is.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you've got the problem, but then you know everything don't you.

A guy asks a straightforward question and as usual you have to chime in and disagree with everyone.

Snap my backside!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 AM
essyou35

Everything I said is factual and quite minor. I just dont want him to think its a trainer jet that will drop the nose on stall. It will tip stall, and it will snap like most jets, except those that are true trainers. What is wrong with stating that? I removed the thick wings comment since I think that is what is burning yours. Just thought it was relevant as the stall speed is very low. If you stall it you were trying! And if you do, it will tip stall.

NOTHING I said was derogatory, I went as far to say it there isnt much to complain about. So what gives?

Just reread your post "Snap my backside" It does snap with to much elevator. Ask my 2 spotters I had with me, scared the crap out of all us, I nearly lost it. I had to pull out inverted I was so low.

Teach me from trying to take off in too tall of grass.

I really dont understand how stating this means I "know it all". Unless you are implying I made it up? If you disagree with me fine but why do you have to act like that?

I think you've got the problem, but then you know everything don't you.

A guy asks a straightforward question and as usual you have to chime in and disagree with everyone.

Snap my backside!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 AM
essyou35

Has anyone tried a spin yet? Curious if its hard to get out of on this one.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
ceffi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried a spin yet
I wrote it,

will do it at the next weekend (if the weatherconditions allow to fly)
In my last 40 flights I didn't have one, neither in a loop or during a low, slow flight or landing.

Christian
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM
madmodelman

Are you saying it will snap with too much elevator on take off?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM
essyou35

Are you saying it will snap with too much elevator on take off?
Yes that is what happened. I had enough speed but the grass was long so it took longer. The fence was coming up so I used more elevator and it snapped hard on me. I let go and it quit snapping, and I pulled out inverted.

Not really a bad habbit but certainly something to be careful of. Just saying.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM
madmodelman

Ok, I understand now, I couldn't see how you could snap it landing.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
essyou35

Oh ok I fogot to mention take off in my thread. Its still shocking! Its so forgiving though it took off inverted. I now use half flaps on grass to give me a bit more lift.

Hoping to take it to a jet rally this weekend, those bocats usualy make my jets look like they are standing still.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You gotta have great skill to take off inverted. Nice recovery. I think the stall was caused by insufficient air speed and lift when flying off tall grass. I always use take off flaps to increase lift at lower speed range. It's a clean straight wings and will tip stall if it's too slow just like any straight wing airplane. I am glad that this jet is light and strong. I only damaged the nose cone section and wing's trailing edges at the root section.

I did not see any bad habit during my first 50+ flights until I was trying to do a cross wind landing (15-20mph direct cross). I flipped it over because the wind was pushing the winglet and give it so much lift on one side. I did not use crow at that time so it was hard to kill the extra lift and ground effect.

At Mississippi Afterburner, I was flying Jose's Viper. It was clocked at 168MPH with full fuel coming in low pass on the first lap after take off. The head wind is about 10mph, so it's doing about 178mph with a Falcon 22lb thrust engine at full throttle on a 75F weather. I think I can go faster after burning off some more fuel.

My Viper has a 26 lbs and it's going a lot faster. I think it was over 200+mph when I was doing some low passes. I believe it can go over 220MPH but I will only do that in the desert, not AMA sanctioned events or locations.

Overall it's a great sport/weekend jet or a 2nd jet after basic trainer jet because of it's wide speed range.

Mike
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM
cosmo21

This is all good news guys, cant wait to get mine in the air now. I just gotta find some time to "build her".

What throws are every one using?
Also the flap settings?

I understand the CG is good about 40mm aft of centre of spare tube?

I'll be using the Spark T 12, so looking for some good speed. Is any body, who is using this engine experiencing any problems/quirks? Just interested in it's general handling characteristics, the engine that is. Already asertained the plane is a joy.

cheers

Matt
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Matt,

We have a setup guide that Mike loaded up in this thread with throws etc based on my setup. This should help you out with your setup.

Cheers

Jeremy
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
essyou35

Mike everything I mentioned is true of most non trainer type jets. Except for delta wings. "When they stall, they only fall." As apposed to a trainer type shock jet, on stall it drops a wing I have found. Important information for someone looking for a trainer, as some people do stall them out. Most trainers just drop the nose.

The inverted take off was not by choice. My ground speed was normal speed that I normally take off, but my position on the runway was much further down. There is a dead end at our runway with a fence, and semi trailers. So I had to do a steep climbout due to how close I was. I over gunned the elevator and when she lifted off she flipped on her back. I have NO IDEA, how I saved it. I just let go of the elevator, applied rudder, and she climbed over the fence inverted then I flipped her back over. I was in shock. The next take off shortly after was 1/2 flaps and full brakes until spool up. Take off was at normal place on runway despite the long grass. I think luck and some instinct played, it happened so fast.

I estimate my top speed at 150 MPH out of a dive. I have a k100. I am much higher altitude the Mississippi.

I had a modelbau f-86D as my first jet, and it was much harder to fly than this jet. But also top end was slower due to the intake.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 PM
mikedenilin

Hi Matt

Spark/JL T12 has been flying without a single failed start. It works very well. It's got a lot of power. I sometimes think its more than 120N.
It has 3 distinct small puffing sound while it rev up right before running mode every time I started it up. Gets about 4 starts per charge on my Li PO.
The other T12 ran fine on my alpha jet but throws flame during start. it had been flying flawlessly until my friend crashed it and burnt after he lost the orientation and failed to recover before meeting the earh the hard way. . He is still my good friend, in case you have to ask.

Mike
Old 05-14-2013, 03:39 AM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same setup as Mike - nice motor so far. I managed to pick up dust in the bendix which caused a starting problem but I sorted it easily. Aside from that it's been really good - enjoy.
I have managed to get mine to depart from normal flight and flick-out but I was 'pushing' it! Let go of the sticks and it sorted itself - nice!

Jeff
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 PM
cosmo21

Cheers fella's,

about the set up details, any idea of the post/page no for this info.

Matt
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I just sent in my deposit on one of these! After some great input from y'all here, I went with the ARF Pro-wired version.

I'm going with Futaba S3051HV servos, but putting a JR DS8711HV on the elevator. Probably a bit of overkill on the elevator, but I like the extra strength on this critical control surface for some peace-of-mind. Plus, the aluminum case will offer a bit of heat protection.

Power will be from a JetCat P100-RX (sorry, Rocky ).

Radio is a Futaba 12FG, with a 6014HS receiver, 2 2s/2300mah A123 packs through a Fromeco Wolverine switch, to an Orbit PowerJack on the 6014HS.

I have a Tam's smoke system, pulled from a jet that I sold I while back, so I ordered just the tanks and the spray bar. Mike's advice on not injecting the smoke right after the engine, and thus risking shock damage to the pipe, was heeded.

Should be a nice setup. I just need to get with Rocky and copy his light setup and cockpit dude.

Sluggo
Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 AM
essyou35

Congrats! I really like the s3051 servos, great budget servo and good performance. I need to get one of those power jacks.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Thanks!

Yep, I like the PowerJack. Gives the rx a comfortable voltage, but let's the higher volts of LiPo's or LiFe's to go to the servos. Much easier on the rx buss if using lithium batteries this way, lets the PowerJack do all the "heavy lifting."

Sluggo
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 AM
keweiliang

Hi guys,
May 18, 2013,flown my JL viper jet with new JL's lighting system in the evening time.

video: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/DxGxyyzmZSo/

Regards
William
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19841.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1883124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34470.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1883125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78936.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1883126   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54730.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1883127  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM
essyou35

Hey guys probaboly from the grass, I noticed some very small cracks on my flex plates. Both have a crack, about 3mm long coming from one of the retract bolts. Does that mean its time to replace them?

If so can they be made from a carbon fiber sheet myself? ANy suggestions on where to get said sheet?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
madmodelman

Cool William.

I'm on 55 flights now, how many have you clocked up or don't you log them?

Gary.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM
mikedenilin

The cracks are no big deals. Keep using it until they break.

Mike.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
noahb

Mike, did the container make it in? My viper is due anyday now and wondering when it might ship from the CA warehouse.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
mikedenilin

I think it's still floating in the water off California coast. Should be in anytime soon. Cindy or Jose will notify you once it clears the custom. Sorry for the waiting. Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.