Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting back into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM
dzydvl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby

I've been out of the RC car hobby for about 10yrs and now my boys are old enuf and I miss it. I have 2 rc10gts one running and one needs a few parts. The problem is with my boys just starting out I'm in need of something TUFF something we can run more than we work on. What brands and models are proven bashers? I love running my gts and the boys enjoy them too but when we take that out its not a mater of if we're going to break something it's a mater of what we're going to break. Like I said I've been out of the hobby for a long while and I'm not sure what's what anymore. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Getting back into the hobby

how fast do you want the RC's to go, and budget wise

also what style truck appeals to them currently ST's are pretty dead most people like SCT(short course trucks) which essentially are similar to ST's(longer mainly) but have big more realistic looking bodies.

Brushless is very popular, but they are more expensive then brushed RC's(which are dying out), and go a hell of a lot faster then brushed. I know I wouldn't trust my 12 yo nephew with any of my brushless RC's as he bangs things easily enough oh his slower brushed ones.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
dzydvl

Ok I've been out of RC cars for a long time. I've been doing planes and Helies.
Speed not really important we don't need a 70mph brushless monster tho.
Budget is whatever. I've heard good and bad things about traxxas, I never had a traxxas only my team associated trucks. Like I said I'm really just looking for a truck that will take a beating and keep on trucking. Me personally I like nitro and have plenty of exsperiance with nitro and electric. I'm just not up to date on the RC cars, what brands are tuff what brands are quality what brands to stay away from all that kind of stuff.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Brushless is very popular, but they are more expensive then brushed RC's(which are dying out), and go a hell of a lot faster then brushed. I know I wouldn't trust my 12 yo nephew with any of my brushless RC's as he bangs things easily enough oh his slower brushed ones.
You can always play with the throttle control settings and punch settings on the esc to limit the speed and acceleration while keeping the many benefits like no maintenance and longer battery life.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Link119

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

You can always play with the throttle control settings and punch settings on the esc to limit the speed and acceleration while keeping the many benefits like no maintenance and longer battery life.

yes, and you could also put a piece of foam behind the trigger if you really wanted to limit it too...
But those can all be undone, unlike if a motor can only go so fast period which can't without swapping.

on topic traxxas rc's IMO (I own 3) are VERY overpriced for what you get. If you look at any of the other brands you can get almost 3X the vehicle for what they charge (model dependent)
if you want cheap there are the duratrax evaders, and ECX line.
Hpi Blitz if you guys want SCT's, and have any inkling to try and race as they are decent starters, and are noted for their durability. Also if something breaks parts are readily available.

then there are OFNA they are strong and well priced, but parts support you have to rely on the internet for(their ONLY negative).

Thunder tiger also has some nice RC's(they own associated). Not owned one personally but a few people here have, and not heard anything really bad
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dzydvl

I've been out of the RC car hobby for about 10yrs and now my boys are old enuf and I miss it. I have 2 rc10gts one running and one needs a few parts. The problem is with my boys just starting out I'm in need of something TUFF something we can run more than we work on. What brands and models are proven bashers? I love running my gts and the boys enjoy them too but when we take that out its not a mater of if we're going to break something it's a mater of what we're going to break. Like I said I've been out of the hobby for a long while and I'm not sure what's what anymore. Thanks for your input.
thunder tiger phoenix xt.
its a rebranded team associated T3.
But it has a brushless system and a 2.4ghz radio.
The radio has throttle end point adjustments. that means you can turn down the top speed to whatever amount you feel is best for the boys. Then, when they get better, you can slowly crank it up to full power!
out of the box, it does 27mph. but it can be geared up to go much faster. I used the throttle end point adjustment to let my girl drive mine (xb, buggy version) and limited the speed to around 10-12mph.
With a brushless system and a decent 5000mah battery it will get 25-30 minutes of runtime. with the throttle turned down...even longer.
so, basically this model is an older chassis...with modern electronics.

Basically being a T3, it handles well and is pretty tough. parts are easy to get online and stock parts are cheap. Ive bashed my Xb very hard and only had the front shock tower and rear motor guard break. thats with 10 hours of runtime on the buggy.

The XT and Xb are about $200 shipped on tower hobbies. Xt will be better for offroad use.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
dzydvl

Ok so maybe I wasn't totally clear on my level of exsperiance I know a lot about setting up digital radios, end points and expos stuff like that to be able to tone down anything I get for the boys. I thank you for that tho, great info and good lookin out.

Ok back on topic
I've been looking around online this evening and I'm likening the HPI Savage flux even the Xs model looks really cool. The videos I've seen seem to make them look really tuff. Anybody have any first hand experience with these?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Foxy

I have first hand experience of the Savage Flux. To be honest, although the Savage is synonymous with durability, it actually isn't that durable without spending some extra cash. I had over $1000 in mine and I still wasn't happy with performance or durability. The fact is that the Savage design is just out of date now and it really struggles with strong brushless setups.

If you simply want an amazing truck that will keep going and going, pick up a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It comes with a 2.4 radio, electrics that can handle 4 or 6S straight out of the box (6S is madness, great fun), and it is actually a truggy platform dressed up as a monster truck. 1/8th brushless truggies are the pinnacle of the surface hobby IMO, and the MT4 has the best of all worlds, truggy platform, monster tires, 1/8th durability and 6S electrics. It just ticks all the boxes for the money. If I didn't already have a top of the line truggy I'd be looking at one myself, my bash buddy has one and it really is great, it's like its possessed, the power delivery is savage (no pun intended).
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
dzydvl

The MT4 g3 is coming up as discontinued... What about the Savage XS Flux?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Foxy

First of all, this is the third time that car has been discontinued, last time it was to update the radio, it will be back (or not), but in any case, just the fact that its discontinued is not a reason not to buy one, it is based on a truggy that's been around for a long time, the ST-1, you will not have any problem getting parts, the problem you'll have is breaking them.

The little XS flux is ok, nothing special, it's a little monster truck, so it doesn't handle very well, but is strong and bouncy. Pretty mad on 3S. I it wasn't for the appalling handling, that truck would tick all the boxes. If only they'd made it a little wider and longer.