Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

a lesson to all

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

a lesson to all

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: a lesson to all

ORIGINAL: red head

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

It seems the 2.4 systems are getting the blame here for a lot evils that have nothing to do with the 2.4 system. Two of the problems cited above for instance Corch's forgetting to change the model and CGRetired's mistake in programing a new airplane are mistakes that have been occurring ever since the advent of the first computer radios and that certainly goes back more than twenty five years ago or so and is nothing new or anything to do with the 2.4's.

I have commited all the mistakes also and don,t get me wrong this is not about being preachy but our wounderful field would no longer exist if 2.4 had not coincidentaly come along just in time when it did.

John
????? I don't follow where 2.4 has anything to do with your field existing . Help an old man here, lol . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a note not all 2.4 systems use model match. Ifly airtronics and on the FHSS-1 it does not use any model match I can take off and fly with the wrong model selected. I have been carefull thus far to avoid it at the field but it has bitten me once when I went to program a new plane into the TX. I do not see any huge areas of gain from 2.4 to 72. I fly on both and perfer my 2.4 radios not due to the frequency but due to the ease of atjustment with the computers in them.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Uncas

I still fly 72 Mhz because my radio still works fine and I see no reason to get rid of it yet, although I do like the shorter antenna.

I think the fellow that forgot to put his antenna up may be using both systems. That could be very confusing and maybe it is a lesson for all who are trying to slowly convert.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner
but our wounderful field would no longer exist if 2.4 had not coincidentaly come along just in time when it did.

????? I don't follow where 2.4 has anything to do with your field existing . Help an old man here, lol . ENJOY !!! RED

Red What occurred started about three years ago and could have happened anywhere in the country. One disgruntled person from down at one of our neiboring clubs who hated everything Ama, clubs or anyone. He was not a member down there either and certainly not an AMA member.

Anyway he is one of these fellows who try to make a living by cruzing the neiborhoods and scanvanging anything he can turn around and sell on the internet. It was not long before he cobbled together a airplane of some sort and started flying it on 72 in a park 100 yard away from the organized flying field and of course the inevitable happened. And he continued to fly there well since I don,t know all the details I will leave it at that only to say some months later I got a heads up he was headed our way from a friend down there.

Sure enough several months later when my shop door was only partially open a large fellow yelled something about airplanes a literally did the limbo under the door, scared the hell out of me and I headed for my weapon (being in a wheelchair you think about things like that). Totally startled by this he said I saw your airplanes and wanted to know if I would sell him an old tranys and Rx. cheap. When asked what he did with them he said I fix them up and sell them at the swap meet. What he was doing was selling old junk and wideband stuff to unsuspecting newbies and selling them a complete package with instructor airplane and all. It was obvious about all he could handel himself was some foamies and gliders.

Sure enough he turns up flying at a bald spot in the desert along the hiway and this was where he was"teaching' his customers which was seven tenths of a mile from our field as the crow flys. He did not care about frequencys or anything. The victems were his Customers
over a period of time I had two of my students airplane shot right out of our hands. Looking down at the scanner showed their channels had gone hot and we could see the miscriants through goggles.

AMA could do nothing simply because he was not an ama club or member and local police were not of much help so to prevent out and out range war I suggested we all go 2.4 timing was perfect. I also suggested none of us would sell our old dead Conquest and Vanguards instead we had hammer partys before fellows like this get ahold of them.

I think several years after the fact now that we virtually are a hundred percent 2.4. His supply of old radios has dried up now and not nearly as much activity there any more.

If we would have been unable go 2.4 at the time the only option would have been to close the field down.

John
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me make sure I understand...the guy forgets (twice) to extend his antenna, and it's the radio's fault?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: YoungBuck74

To answer Grey Beards question. The best difference between the TX's IMHO is the '' Model Match''. You can not take off if the TX is on the wrong model.Pleas remember it is just my opinion.
It's a good one too, opinion. I do have a lot of planes programed in my radio so I do have to change from plane to plane. Just like on 2.4 but the model match does keep you from taking off on the wrong plane. Lucky for me I am in the habit of checking before and after I turn on my planes. I have forgot to turn off my radio when going from PPC to PCM but then it's just like model match and my planes don't react or operate at all.
Why am I changing over? Because all my gear is getting old. In the past I have bought new receivers as they aged. Now I am just replacing them with 2.4 receivers. Other then binding I don't need to change anything in my radio. Ch 8 is still ch8, nothing in the radio changed.
I picked up a 2.4 module from Hitec when they were on a special sale for $20.00. Had it around for over a year before I got and used a 2.4 RX. Not everyone is young and working. Modeling money is very tight so I replace things when I can. Buying a new $500.00 radio and 10 new receivers is out of the question just to move into the new tech. I haven't had any of my students go into 72 but I have had friends see my module and change over like I am. If you have a good radio to start with there is no reason to have to buy a new one, the radios aren't really an upgrade and they will not create new brain cells. A brain fart is a brain fart no mater what type of gear your using.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM
corch

It all boils down to mistakes made and learned from, hopefully someone will read these posts and avoid learning it the hard/expensive way.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

You are all saying I'm right, there is no reason to drive a car w/o AC, or to fly 72
Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't say that at all. I have one legal radio, a Futaba 9CAP Super II. While I can "upgrade" to 2.4 by changing a module, I can't see the point. It's right now on 75MHz for use in my boats but, until I have no choise but 2.4, I'll stick with 72 and 75MHz
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No,Not all 72 meg Tx are Crap WB6JGD,BUTHISIS!!!

Man you try toinform people of mistakes other people make as to let them know how not to crash thier planes and, well whatever!!! I never said it was the radios fault,I said "HEFORGOTTOPUTHISANTENNAUP!!!!"If he gets a 2.4 TX he wont have to ever worry about making that mistake again. Yes some people cant afford to purchase a new TX, BUTHECAN!!!

Oneaew, YES, I have the best stuff I can afford and it does'nt make me any better than you,Where the hell do you get off saying I think I am better than anyone else, If I thought that way ,why would I care if anyone crashed?. Typical internet tough guy who would'nt say something like that toanyones face. This thread was started to prevent someone from making the mistake my friend did. not to get into pissing matches over 2.4 vs 72. Thats why I put it in the Beginner section.If you still use 72 meg , God Bless you!! But Remember to put your antennas up!!! Those of you who already have2.4, don't worry about those lil stubby antenna's they are good to go. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but don't even for one second make an assumption that I think I am better than anyone else because I have good equipment.

Corch said it all " It all boils down to mistakes made and learned from" unfortunatly my friend learned the Hard/Expensive way!! TWICE!!!! I am Johnny Rotten!!!! U.S.C.S. #40851
Old 05-17-2013, 03:32 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think mistakes will continue to happen because we don't live in a perfect world. All anyone can do is learn from their mistakes so they may apply that experience later down the road. The best reasons I can personally give for the use of 2.4 is I have lost 2 airplanes due to a transmitter being turned on in the pits on my frequency while I was flying, the last one was one of my 3.3 Comp Arf Yaks and that one stung just a little. I was also witness to a transmitter that was left turned on in the impound at the IMAA event in WACO TX. in 2007 that I was attending. This accident caused a crash right after takeoff of that unfortunate pilots airplane. So for at least me, 2.4 is a cheap insurance policy and I would not even consider flying any of my birds with on 72 or 75 anymore.

Bob
Old 05-17-2013, 03:49 AM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

Maybe other club members should watch to see if his antenna is extended when in position to take off and remind him when it isn't.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 AM
ec121

72Mhz. is OK at our field because all the new guys have 2.4 radios. Plus we are far enough out in the country to avoid interference. I have both, but I am transitioning as things wear out. No point in getting rid of good equipment. I have been flying long enough that I occasionally try to pull the 2.4 antenna out before flying. Preflight! Preflight! Then check one more time. ;-)
Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Yes, a better Pre Flight Checklist would have helped for sure. Just saying that if he upgraded from the P.O.S. 72 Meg Tx he is using to a 2.4 system, he can't forget to put his antenna up. Not wanting to spend a few hundred bucks on a 2.4 Tx and a couple of extra 2.4 Rx's cost him 5 Large!! After the first Brain Fart, I would have learned my lesson!!!

How is his 72MHz a P.O.S? That is one of the oddest posts I have seen. 72 Mhz served well for 3+decades...and still works fine. 2.4 did not render 72 MHz as a P.O.S., sorry. I still use them with great success. I don't understand your posting his 72Mhz as a P.O.S.

JEff
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM
AlmondRancher

Rotten40851,
His TX is not crap. There is nothing wrong with his transmitter.

- Allan B
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Negligence on the operators behalf and nothing more. I fly on 72mhz and see no reason to change.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

Problem is, if he makes that kind of mistake, (more than once) better technology is not a substitue for good practice and/or good sense. People who depend on technology to keep them from brain farting will inevitably do it again........just on something else that matters. He is just lucky all he destroyed was his own stuff! This could have EASILY been a life-changing brain fart if his 50cc aircraft had destroyed someone else's property or, heaven forbid, physically injured or killed someone. He WAS LUCKY and should consider himself as such as he only harmed his own pocketbook. It doesn't really matter if you are flying 72mhz or 2.4ghz, there are still minimum checks that should be performed before every flight to keep the likelyhood of catastrophe as low as possible. At a minimum, your buddy should re-evaluate his pre-flight procedure..........regardless of what type of equipment he is using. By the way, if his brain fart had tuned out for the worst (and it easily could have) he could have cost you guys your flying site! In this litigious-happy society, that would have been a distinct possibility. I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade but a dose of "WHAT IF" reality is in order here.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
CGRetired

This is beginning to get a bit out of hand here. Let's stick to the subject of the thread. We all put our two cents in and told a few stories that relate. And we all make mistakes. Let it go at that.

CGr
Moderator.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
[email protected]

iam with you
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
eddieC

The Six P's;
"Proper Planning Prevents Pi$$-Poor Performance."

Spectacles, xxxxxxxxx, wallet and watch...,  

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Wow. Two times in a couple days?? More money than sense. Eventually the pos 72mhz would do it anyway
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
airzona

2.4 system wont help his issue, but remembering to put up antenna will. also a good preflight will help his problem. flying 7.2 for 5 years now with no crashes......because of the radio that is.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 PM
[email protected]

what would anyone say it there was not a 2.4 radio?? just for fun
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
warbird addict

One could also argue that if there were not a clear and obvious need as well as Demand and input from the guys who fly then 2.4 would not exist there would be no reason to have it. when I think about the difference between 72 meg and 2.4 I'm reminded of the difference between drum and disc brakes, yep the drum brakes would get you stopped but the disc brakes just do it a hell of alot better and without alot of the draw backs, all to often people will advocate things from the standpoint that their carcass isn't going to be sitting in it, additionally if the latter were true I can guarantee with absolute certainty that preflights would be 1000% more thorough, most of the preflights I see consist of turning everything on firing up the motor and wiggling the sticks to see if stuff on the plane wiggles as well then it's up up n away. Pre and post flights even on RC aircraft should be done from the standpoint of whether or not we would be willing to take the same representative amount of cold hard greenbacks and toss it in a dumpster and walk away.
I don't know about anybody else but concerning pre and post flight checks I go to extremes to make sure I'm going to get my investment back on the ground in one piece barring any poor investment choices made by my 2 ADHD inflicted thumbs which have been known to become disconnected from my brain from time to time LOL
Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Hey Guys, here is a little lesson for all you guys (and Gals) not flying 2.4 GHz. Two weeks ago the President of my club comes to the field with his DA50 cc PAU Extra fires it up androlls down the runway , lifts off and SPLAT!!! right into theBay!!!Only the engine was salvagable due to the salt water. he turns and says" I lost it right after lift off" I said " Your antenna is'nt up" Well needless to say 2000.00 bucks down the drain. That really sucks, a hard lesson to learn. Well, today he comes down with his 50 cc size electric Yak, and thats right you guessed it- SPLAT!!!! He did it again. 2500.00 this time Nothing salvagable being it was ALLELECTRIC!! If your still flying 72 Mg, remember those antennas boys and girls. I really feel bad for him,Ihope he makes the switch over to 2.4 to keep this from happening to him again. He is one of the best pilots at the field and has some really nice aircraft,I just dont understand why he spends top dollar on planes but wont upgrade his Radio gear. Especially after the first mishap. I hope heupgrades nowto keep this from happening again.
By you stating you hope he upgrades makes it sound like heuses72mghz religiously...if that is the case then ...well...hmmm...errrrr.....ummm, well I won't say anything dergatory, but ....oh my.

I wish him better luck in the future no matter what frequency he chooses.

These types of situations usually occur when one has a few planes on each of 2.4 and 72 and gets complacent from not having to extend theantenna on the newer band.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.