Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Applying vinyl invasion strips

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Applying vinyl invasion strips

Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Applying vinyl invasion strips

I was going to put some vinyl invasion strips on an 80" P-47. When I got the graphics it looks to me like it would be extremely difficult to get these huge vinyl graphics on without any bubbles or wrinkles. I also am worried about being able to get out any future wrinkles in covering under such large pieces of vinyl. i've thought about cutting the individual strips out and putting them on one at a time.

Could anyone who has applied something like this comment. Thanks

Steve
Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Applying vinyl invasion strips

Paint them on with Rust-o-leum flat white and flat black. Allow at least two weeks to fully cure before exposing to fuels.

Note, these strips were originally painted on very quickly, only the night before the invasion, in most cases. They used whatever they had to paint them, even scrub brushes. They were not prefect, and in some cases, far from it. Nice straight crisp lines were not the norm. Most are depicted on our models much to straight and uniform. Guilty of it myself.

If you must use the vinyl, spray a mist of Windex on the area first. This will allow you to easily work out the air under the decal.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Paint them on with Rust-o-leum flat white and flat black. Allow at least two weeks to fully cure before exposing to fuels.
+1,, I used white and black primer,, but I don't think I waited 2 days

(see avitar and gallery)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 AM
YAT-28E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Painting is the way to go, just scuff up the covering slightly for a better bond!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 AM
splais

If I was going to paint invasion stripes which is the best way: paint individual stripes, or, paint the whole field white and then mask and paint the black stripes
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I apply sticky things to my covering, I use the Windex method. I spray Windex with Ammonia on the surface that I am applying my stickers to, apply the stickers and then use a squeejy to push out all the Windex when I have the sticker placed where I want it. The Windex allows you to move the sticker around the get them into the position that you want them. Once it is all squeejed out, let it sit 24 hours and you should be good to go. I would take a scrap piece of your vinyl and test it on a piece of covering to make sure there are no issues with it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-18-2013, 06:44 AM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Painting will be much quicker. Like ram said they were put on quickly. Rattle cans and painters tape do the job quiclky. I just did myself a throw away plane last week. Took about an evening to do.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: splais

If I was going to paint invasion stripes which is the best way: paint individual stripes, or, paint the whole field white and then mask and paint the black stripes
Yes, paint the whole field white, let cure over night at least,, then mask off for the black. Use very low tack tape

good luck

Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 AM
splais

well I got another issue. If I do this I have to take off the giant US insignia on the wing and fuselage first. Last time I tried this i really pulled loose a lot of the covering that would not iron back down smoothly. Is therea trick to doing this? Would warming them with a heat gun first make them easier to peel off.

Steve
Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

When I apply sticky things to my covering, I use the Windex method. I spray Windex with Ammonia on the surface that I am applying my stickers to, apply the stickers and then use a squeejy to push out all the Windex when I have the sticker placed where I want it. The Windex allows you to move the sticker around the get them into the position that you want them. Once it is all squeejed out, let it sit 24 hours and you should be good to go. I would take a scrap piece of your vinyl and test it on a piece of covering to make sure there are no issues with it. Good Luck, Dave

ORIGINAL: TSHARK203

Painting will be much quicker. Like ram said they were put on quickly. Rattle cans and painters tape do the job quiclky. I just did myself a thfow away plane last week. Took about an evening to do.
You can use windex or soapy water solution under the vinyl & have the stripes on W/O wrinkles or bubbles in a matter of a few munutes.

I doubt that you can paint them on that quickly or easily.

Remember those huge "Thunderchicken" graphics on the late '70s Firebirds?

They wre applied W/a soapy water solution.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
da Rock

well I got another issue. If I do this I have to take off the giant US insignia on the wing and fuselage first. Last time I tried this i really pulled loose a lot of the covering that would not iron back down smoothly. Is therea trick to doing this? Would warming them with a heat gun first make them easier to peel off.

Steve

Low tack masking take should be safe, that is if those insignia were adequately ironed on originally. Do you make it a habit to iron your ARFs out of the box? If you don't, then you might want to iron them a day before masking them.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
SrTelemaster150

Steve
Use a heat gun to slowly warm up the insignia you want to remove.

Test the edges & when you can get the edge to lift slowly work your way across the insignia you want to remove using heat sparingly.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
ram3500-RCU

I don't think I would take them off. Just mast around them like they actually did in the day. Here again, if it is not perfect, it is more authentic.

As for how to paint them, in a pure scale contest type environment, I paint each stripe individually so I can weather and chip them without dealing with exposing white under black, something you would not have seen in full scale. They painted them without overlay. Anything else would have been a waste of paint, and paint became scarce. So scarce that in some cases they had to mix other colors together to get a sort of black. However, in a sport scale build, I paint the white first, then the black over it.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's how they did back then.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
straitnickel

Remember, if you use vinyl, you can not iron over it.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM
splais

Yes, that is what I was worried about with those big slabs of vinyl over ultracoat. I think I am going to paint. Use the vinyl stripes on my t-6 Texan
Old 05-18-2013, 03:23 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Here's the info on exactly where and how they should be. If you want to get that detailed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73127.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1882938  
Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: kenair

Here's how they did back then.
Nice picture. Exactly what I'm talking about. We tend to make them to uniform on our models.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Outlining and painting them with a brush is easy and look close to the way they were, even try and leave brush marks.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:40 PM
straitnickel

Awsome document there, dont loose it!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 AM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

An 80" P47 deserves to be fiber glassed and detailed with panel lines and simulated rivets. Then the entire plane is painted stripes and all. Just my opinion, jmpups
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: jmpups

An 80'' P47 deserves to be fiber glassed and detailed with panel lines and simulated rivets. Then the entire plane is painted stripes and all. Just my opinion, jmpups
I would glass it, prime it, and then use aluminum foil layed on in scale panels, not paint. Then the flush rivets are easily embossed into the aluminum, along with other details like access panels, hatches, hand holds, and vents.

In this line up of meister P-47s, you can easlily pick out Zombie as natural aluminum vs the other painted ones.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96967.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	1883169  
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM
scale only 4 me

No medication invented for you guys yet?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All bubbles will eventually go away after application. The sun plus heat.

Vinyl can be applied wet with Windex or some other glass cleaner. This allows for movement and placement.

Thing is, correct stripes aren't straight vinyl. Because of the wing taper there should be a slight curve to the vinyl, once placed they are straight.

You can, pull and stretch the vinyl a bit, but that's in the application.

I have my customers send me drawings so I can get the vinyl correct without errors. I tell them how and what to measure.

Just part of giving modelers the quality they deserve.

Charles
Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

No medication invented for you guys yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.