Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
josephcraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

yea it would run,but you couldn;t get it to tune right like it was a fuel problem.....
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

12x6 at 14500 rpms is approaching .60 sized glow territory... stock setup?

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: josephcraig

fuel pressure changing i think..little gasoline engines are more touchy to it..you might try running a higher idle on the flips,thats what i do,cause it can upset it more with low idle..i had my first spark plug die on me this weekend..it would run but couldn't tune it..ive had 4 gallons through it,all the rich running from break in..

Interesting... I also had to change out the spark plug this weekend. My only complaint is the $13 price tag for a new plug! The engine was bullet proof till the last two weekends then it just wouldn't run right for anything. After trying about everything I could think of to get it to run right, including a new fuel tank and all new lines, the last thing to try was the plug. Bingo! Back to rock solid in 5 minutes. BTW, I have about 2 ½ gallons thru it and it turns a 12x6 APC at ~14500 RPMs.

Dave
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

fuel pressure changing i think..little gasoline engines are more touchy to it..you might try running a higher idle on the flips,thats what i do,cause it can upset it more with low idle..i had my first spark plug die on me this weekend..it would run but couldn't tune it..ive had 4 gallons through it,all the rich running from break in..

Interesting... I also had to change out the spark plug this weekend. My only complaint is the $13 price tag for a new plug! The engine was bullet proof till the last two weekends then it just wouldn't run right for anything. After trying about everything I could think of to get it to run right, including a new fuel tank and all new lines, the last thing to try was the plug. Bingo! Back to rock solid in 5 minutes. BTW, I have about 2 ½ gallons thru it and it turns a 12x6 APC at ~14500 RPMs.

Dave
12x6=13500?
BCCHI
Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 PM
FlatSpin

I am using the MACs 6720 muffler, but that didn't give it a noticable performance boost.

Dave
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

The difference in rich/lean between upright and inverted indicates a difference in tank height when compared to the centerline of the carburetor. Most likely your tank is located below the centerline when upright and conversely above when inverted which then richens out the mixture. As you further dial in the needles the severity of the mixture change becomes less. If you have a way to shim the tank up a little higher in the fuselage when it is upright I think you will find that will help as well.

Pete
I'm curious as to how the attitude of the plane can change the mixture...
Isn't the fuel pressure regulator in the carb supposed to make up for this? I thought that was the whole point of the regulator carb.

I'm still looking into one of these engines...but not if simply flying inverted is enough to upset the mixture. Let alone flying a series of violent high G snaprolls and stuff like that.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: mattnew

That's about what a Jett 90L turns on 15% nitro...I have a REAL hard time believing this thing is putting out this kind of power.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: mattnew

That's about what a Jett 90L turns on 15% nitro...I have a REAL hard time believing this thing is putting out this kind of power.
If thats all your jett 90 would do it was a sickly subject. Send it back. My jett50 would turn that prop at 16500.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 AM
mattnew

If you saw the length of my downline spin..... most glow engines would have quit after that as well... simple fuel starvation, not a fault of the engines but of my setup. I have a 6oz tank and the fact of the matter is with the small tank and gas tubing you don't get as much flexibility, so a vertical spin pulls the clunk out of the gas for an extended period of time.

I wouldnt read into the inverted flight question too much.. like I said I'm still running the engine quite rich since its new and I haven't really messed with the needles yet. I' literally bolted on the engine, started it on the ground, ran a tank through it so I understood how it would fly and then put it into the air. I know I need to do some tuning here and was simply asking how to interpret the "burbling" inverted. I don't think that qualifies as an "issue" with the motor.

Go buy it.... you'll be happy you did.

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

The difference in rich/lean between upright and inverted indicates a difference in tank height when compared to the centerline of the carburetor. Most likely your tank is located below the centerline when upright andconversely above when inverted which then richens out the mixture. As you further dial in the needles the severity of the mixture change becomes less. If you have a way to shim the tank up a little higher in the fuselage when it is upright I think you will find that will help as well.

Pete
I'm curious as to how the attitude of the plane can change the mixture...
Isn't the fuel pressure regulator in the carb supposed to make up for this? I thought that was the whole point of the regulator carb.

I'm still looking into one of these engines...but not if simply flying inverted is enough to upset the mixture. Let alone flying a series of violent high G snaprolls and stuff like that.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The performance of the stock carburetor is identical to Evgeny's when you allow the engine to break-in properly and you set the low speed needle properly.
With any ABC engine there is a physical 'pinch' at the top of the stroke that adds drag to the system and causes a higher idle speed.During the break-in process the engine has to maintain enough kinetic energy to overcome this pinch which result in higher idle rpms.Also, as he noted the larger/heavier the prop the lower the idle will be because of the higher rotating mass and the kinetic energy that goes with that.
Believe me, we went through three complete carb/needle valve redesigns and countless small modifications before we settled on our carb design and I think the result and success of the thousands of current users speaks for itself.
Pete
Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM
mattnew

Don't misconstrue my questions for complaints on performance...this engine rocks so far and I'm extremely happy with my decision to try something new.... ( I've been an O.S. guy for years... this is my first chinese made engine. ) I liked the 10 enough that I preordered the 15GX when it was announced

The only questionI have remaining, and this is one that only time will tell ... is how the engines will run in a year, 5 years/10years... and will parts be available for the engine in 5-10 years.

The performance of the stock carburetor is identical to Evgeny's when you allow the engine to break-in properly and you set the low speed needle properly.
With any ABC engine there is a physical 'pinch' at the top of the stroke that adds drag to the system and causes a higher idle speed.During the break-in process the engine has to maintain enough kinetic energy to overcome this pinch which result in higher idle rpms.Also, as he noted the larger/heavier the prop the lower the idle will be because of the higher rotating mass and the kinetic energy that goes with that.
Believe me, we went through three complete carb/needle valve redesigns and countless small modifications before we settled on our carb design and I think the result and success of the thousands of current users speaks for itself.
Pete
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM
brunofporto

I totally agree with you. My EVO10GX engine have 15 to 20 hours of use and is working much like Evgeny's engine without any modification.

I had problems with a bad ignition batterie (this is not a engine problem!)
I had problems with the muffler (the manual have good information on this subject)
(this is not a engine problem!)
I had fuel feeding problems (also very well covered in the manual)
(this is not a engine problem!)

If anyone here have any doubt about the quality of this engine you should not: go and buy it. It works perfectly just out of the box.

Just follow the manual very closely!

Pay special attention to the muffler bolts tighning "ritual" described correctly in the manual.
Pay attention to the ignition if you have no experience with gas angines, like me.
Pay a great deal of attentio to the fuel feed system for leaks or air bubbles.

Follow the breakin and tunning instructions as described in the manual.

Every single "problem" I had was correctly covered by the manual. The engine needs no modification to works properly.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 AM
josephcraig

being the first 40-60 size gas engine,i think weighing out the pros and cons,its a great lttle engine...what do you think?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 AM
brunofporto

The only cons I  had was the muffler getting loose all the time, I would redesign it. 

But muffler problems is a common place to me since I started flying 20 years ago. I think the only engine I had not have any muffler problems was my first one, an OS .46. Then all my glow engines (always 46/55 size, never had 4s or bigger  2s engines) had mufflers I dislike.

So yes, I agree that is a great little engine and it is amazing how it works well considering that it uses gas!! It is VERY difficult to achieve that, the flow of fuel is very small!

And I can say that considering the fuel costs here in Brasil this engines already payed itself. More two months and I could buy a new one with the economy I had for not using glow fuel. A gallon of glow here is US$ 60, a gallon of premium gas with competition synthetic oil is US$ 15. And I flight, literally, 2.5x more time with the gas fuel. It could be 3x but our gasoline here have 20%+ of ethanol and the fuel consumption rises a little.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM
FlatSpin

All I can go by is the max RPM readout on my DX-8 tlm system. It is within ~30-40 RPMs of my handheld tachometer so I have confidence in its readouts. I have the max RPM alarm set for 14000 and this past Sunday I looked at the readout when it alarmed, it said 14468 RPMs. Granted, I was coming out of a shallow dive, setting up for a high speed fly-by, and the radio alarmed for 2/3 of the pass until I pulled straight up at the end of my maneuver. I get a low 12000s WOT on the ground and when I do glance at the RPM readout, I routinely see mid-upper 13000s w/12x6. I am not trying to claim bogus numbers or make outlandish performance statements. I’m just relaying my experience with this engine. I will order another 10cc and get a 15cc soon.

Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 AM
brunofporto

NOW I GOT IT!
Thanks for the drawings!
You changed the low speed needle from a "cap type" to a "needle type". Makes sense to me, and it is true: my engine can hold a good idle at 2300 rpm, but not at 1800. I do not think it is a bad thing or a problem with the engine by the way. So do not mix feelings: a customization of an engine is perfectly valid for thos who seek specific behaviors. That does not mean I think the engine is defective or bad! The engine is perfect, but one could improve it. Why not?
I just like the idea to mod the carburetor e see if I can achieve the same result. Science and engine customization are hobbies too!

I know a friend who bought an Evo10Gx carburator to test with the NGC9CC and was not good, I'll see if the still have the carburetor than I'll try those mods and have the original for camparison.
Evgeny-arm - lets start a NEW TOPIC about Evo10GX Mods, so we keep this topic as a clean "standard evo10gx".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11519055

Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 AM
brunofporto

Just did this "explanation" figure for what I finally see!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i would like to have that small engine but for the last month reading what people say i think ill stay away from it i have 4 zenoah 20 cc all run right on the money>>> now they stopped making it went to a 26cc>>
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 AM
brunofporto

The Evo 10GX works perfectly right out of the box. These are tweaks.... You can not judge the engine by the last pages of a forum discussion.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

i would like to have that small engine but for the last month reading what people say i think ill stay away from it i have 4 zenoah 20 cc all run right on the money>>> now they stopped making it went to a 26cc>>
The Zenoah G20cc has not been discontinued and now comes with a much better ignition system similar to the RC exl ignition.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

sorry about that i miss read what was said they still make itand at that time i went to amazon.com and saw a new one there so i got it o wellwhat can you say to a 81 year old man the 26th of this month
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
josephcraig

the engine is fine, i just can't seem to solve fuel tank problems..always leaking..any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
brunofporto

the engine is fine, i just can't seem to solve fuel tank problems..always leaking..any suggestions?
This:

Sullivan Heavy Duty Fuel Tank Stopper Kit

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
josephcraig

cool,i will definitley order it...thanks...cant seem to keep other tight....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
josephcraig

it says the stopper is gas and glow..did you use it?or did you use the red one?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
mattnew

I'm using a 6oz sullivan seamless with the dubro gas conversion stopper... no issues with leaks so far...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.