Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is a heavily modified 2wd Slash competitive?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM
RC_BRYAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a heavily modified 2wd Slash competitive?

Hey guys,

I am kind of new to the hobby and started off simple with a Slash 2wd Brushless system. Since getting into the Hobby our local Hobby Store races twice a week and I started slowing converting my slash into a race set up. I guess my question is can I be competitive with the Slash or do I need to sell out and just go buy a Losi or SC10? Here is everything I've done to the slash, literally the only thing left on the slash is the transmission and I am currently still using the VXL-3 motor. I race in the 2WD MOD class on a very tight track with lots of turns and 1 straight away about 80-90ft long. Here is the set up:

(2wd slash brushless)
-added low center gravity chassis
- Upgraded to pro-line protrac suspension kit
- Upgraded to Pro-line dual rate shocks
- added a Savoc .08 Servo (thing is lightening fast)
- added the Brushless Hobbies 120A programmable ESC
- Have a set of Proline Calibers (M3) and Duratrax Line-ups(small pin tire)

I have camber set at 2.0 degrees all the way around, 87T spur with 18T pinion (Stock Slash Tranny), Toe is out on front and in on the rear. I just got the shocks and I believe they come with 50wt all the way around, maybe go softer in the front? I know a lot of my speed and technique will come with putting down laps at the track, I just dont want to keep sinking money into a 2WD Slash if it will never be able to keep up with Losi or Associated... Any imput to my set up or competitiveness in the slash would be greatly appreciated!!

Bryan

Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: Is a heavily modified 2wd Slash competitive?

The end result comes down to the driver. Personally, IMHO, I feel that using the same driver, the Losi or AE would have an edge. I would recommend getting an external BEC for that Savox servo to run off of, however. They are power hogs! Check out your local track, get some racing done with what you have, and see from there if you feel an upgrade or a replacement is more suitable to you.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Practice, practice and then practice some more lol. The lcg chassis is the single best upgrade if you are racing a Slash imo but those pro-line shocks are nice

Practice and tires wil net you better results than just switching trucks and all the while you can save your coin for a more race breed truck in the future . Then you can sale me your Slash
Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
robausti

I agree with both previous comments practice and skill will get you around the track in no time. I have seen people go out spending tons of money on competition kits and can't drive a lick! Too much power no control. Keep up the good work post some pics if you can.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 1st time racing I was beating brushles slash's, sc10s, blitz, ect wtih my BRUSHED sc10. Why? driver skill. Not that I am skilled, but I just ran smoother and crashed less than the other guys.

Point being, equipment does not matter as much as skill. Keeping calm and not over driving the truck is harder to do than you would think. As soon as you start trying to race the guys next to you instead of running your good clean line...you start sucking.

I dont see any reason a modified LCG slash cant do well. I still prefer a truck with a ball diff.

at my track, its a losi-durango war. top racers are split between those two brands.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM
cirec

I know you're talking about 2WD but the top 4WD driver at my track uses a Slash. I don't know what he has on his truck though.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC_BRYAN

Hey guys,

I am kind of new to the hobby and started off simple with a Slash 2wd Brushless system. Since getting into the Hobby our local Hobby Store races twice a week and I started slowing converting my slash into a race set up. I guess my question is can I be competitive with the Slash or do I need to sell out and just go buy a Losi or SC10? Here is everything I've done to the slash, literally the only thing left on the slash is the transmission and I am currently still using the VXL-3 motor. I race in the 2WD MOD class on a very tight track with lots of turns and 1 straight away about 80-90ft long. Here is the set up:

(2wd slash brushless)
-added low center gravity chassis
- Upgraded to pro-line protrac suspension kit
- Upgraded to Pro-line dual rate shocks
- added a Savoc .08 Servo (thing is lightening fast)
- added the Brushless Hobbies 120A programmable ESC
- Have a set of Proline Calibers (M3) and Duratrax Line-ups(small pin tire)

I have camber set at 2.0 degrees all the way around, 87T spur with 18T pinion (Stock Slash Tranny), Toe is out on front and in on the rear. I just got the shocks and I believe they come with 50wt all the way around, maybe go softer in the front? I know a lot of my speed and technique will come with putting down laps at the track, I just dont want to keep sinking money into a 2WD Slash if it will never be able to keep up with Losi or Associated... Any imput to my set up or competitiveness in the slash would be greatly appreciated!!

Bryan

Truth be told you could run and win at almost any neighborhood track around with nothing more than a stock slash with a good set of tires and some practice.

I ran a basically stock slash for years in the stock class and did very well. I still have a stock tuck that I run in pure stock and have no problems keeping up with and beating SC10's, Blitz's and the Losi's. I did finally build a LCG slash to race in mod. It took some getting use to but I'm doing well in that class as also.

You should have no problem keeping up with the pack and putting a real hurt on some of the other trucks. Like others have said. It's all in the practice. Don't worry about the truck, Just drive it.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: cirec

I know you're talking about 2WD but the top 4WD driver at my track uses a Slash. I don't know what he has on his truck though.
I think that's because the 4x4 slash is a tank. I've never raced mine but I do bash the crap out of it and only thing I ever break is the bodies. It is tough
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Johnnysplits

As an owner of a 2wd slash and an sc10ft, I don't care what you do to the slash, it will never drive like the sc10.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the slash is out gunned by at least 4 other SCT I can think off. But then againe who knows what u can get out of a slash?

I'm keen to find out so I'm currently working on a LCG Slash/Rustler conversion, with silky smoothe RPM suspension(reamed and scrc bolt/pins) and freshly rebuilt losi XXX-NT shocks. And some little weight reduction cuts. ATM I've noticed that the front end is considerably lighter, it's so light I might have to get the smaller losi springs, no kidding. With the battery fitted, the front is still a little bit to high and the spring tensioners are backed all the way off... When it's finished I'm hoping that a fully moded slash can beat a stock SC10 well at least...