Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

First Helicopter Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan SE Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First Helicopter Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan SE Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM
tranquil201

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Helicopter Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan SE Kit

Hello,

I recently purchased this helicopter kit. I am looking at engines to purchase... Can anyone give me some reviews on the
Thunder Tiger RL .53H Ringed engine. This is the recommeneded engine or should I go with alternatives? I really just want to know if this engine is good and will last me a while.

Also the kit requires the following parts to complete can you give a recommendations of what I should buy I.E (Brand) and some reasons if you can.

<pre>REQUIRES: Radio: At least 6-channel ( I am looking to get a JR) Servos: Four standard with digital rudder servo Gyro: Heading lock Flight Battery: 4.8V NiMH, at least 1200mAh Engine: .50 cu in heli type Exhaust: High-flow 3D type Main Blades: Carbon or fiberglass recommended Glow Fuel: Heli blend 15-30% nitro content Starting Shaft: 6mm hex size Flight Battery: 4.8V 1200mAh NiMH Electric Starter: 12V .90 size Remote Glow Starter </pre>

Thanks,

Brandon

Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: First Helicopter Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 Titan SE Kit

Just to let you know these are my personal choices for your question.
For your engine, I would either go with a OS 55 HZ-H or YS 56. My choice of engines is YS, but the OS is also good. JR radio, 9503. The Align 610 cyclic & 650 rudder servos are very popular. Futaba GY520 is a good little gyro. For flight battery I'd go with a Li-Ion or Li-Po 2000ish mah. I've used Fromeco batteries and regulators with no problems.

I know you'll get lots more answers. Good luck and happy flying.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 AM
ATVAlliance

I have the OS in my R50 and have no complaints.  I dont fly it much as most of my heli flying is done with electrics.  But when I do bring out the Rappy, it flies great and the OS engine has never let me down.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

+1
The standard engine for that class for years was/is the OS 50 hyper and it has plenty of power for 90 percent of us.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ihave th OS 50 hyper on my Raptor 50 and love it. Starts right up and runs great for what I do(basic flying nothing 3D....yet).
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM
SharpProp

I have the Redline 53 in my X50 and it runs like a top. I also have an OS 50 hyper in a different heli it runs like a champ as well. I could easily recommend both.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have many hours of flying on my 50 nitro helis with engines from the OS-46H, TT50H, OS-50H, OS50 Hyper, YS-50H and the power of the OS Hyper and YS50 are better then the others.

My favorite of all of them is the YS50H. I found its pumper carb system to be fool proof and easy to set for a basic fly and forget system. I also found their rear bearings lasted longer.

Because of this, my Radikal N640 will have the YS56.

But going with OS, for any engine, will still always put a smile on your face.

As for the TT's. I have tried a number of them over the years and found them to be hit and miss compared to YS or OS. You may get an OK one or you may get on that seems to always have some issues.. SO I now say that it is not worth the small saving to take the chance. When I get the time to go out to the field, I want to KNOW my engine will run properly, not just HOPE it will.

As for radio gear. You cannot go wrong with either JR or Futaba as I have flown many years with both. My current preference is Futaba as they seem to produce better gyros and governors and have a bigger selection of servos then JR (I love their BLS line). The result is that the firmware in their transmitters is very well configured to get maximum performance from their gyros & governors.

I also like the fact that their 2.4 system does not require satellite units and I also like their new S-Bus system that keeps wiring to a minimum.