Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who has a 3D printer?...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who has a 3D printer?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a 3D printer?...

...and is able to help a couple of us try and overcome a little problem!

We're after 2 "halves" about 12" long and 2" diameter we can join to form a tube of sorts??

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks
Mark
Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Who has a 3D printer?...

Hi Mark,

I'm sure someone in the UK will come to your rescue but if not, contact this fella as he does NOT own a 3D rpinter, he does 3D CAD work for several of us here in the states and has shops he contracts the 3D printing to including a location in the Europe somehere. Give him a shout as I'm sure he can advise or do the work for you as he is now doing this commercialy for the hobby industry.

His name is Randy Huff, [email protected]

Good hunting.

Kerry S.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Jgwright

Mark

Might be worth trying Paul Gray. I think he has one at his work.

John
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one, depending on size, I might be able to help.
Can you provide catia files of what you need?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Mark, we handle 3d Printing at www.ALL-SCALE.com and are partnered with 3DS out of France, as well as doing some CAD work 3d printing , and laser cutting out of the US ...

could you provide more detail on the parts you would be looking for ? does this need to be solid ?, structural, or decorative ? or can the parts be hollowed ( lightened )

http://www.all-scale.com/PROD4_3DS.html

Voy
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

A bunch of High School Art and Shop departments in US has them.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
schroedm

Woj & Co,

we're looking for stronger solutions to replace the thin ABS scale covers used on the struts of the Tomahawk Hawk.

You can see the issue some are having on posts 838 and 846 here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...page_34/tm.htm

In terms of what we have, I have the mouldings still in the vacuum form sheet they should be cut from so I don't know if you're able to 'scan' that to create the 3D image???

I thought the material used in 3D printing would be plenty strong enough and the technique would allow some nice scale detail to be added?

Further thoughts?

Rgds
Mark
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM
wojtek

Hi Mark,

laser set nylon plastic printing would be the best for a durable, smooth plastic to replace the ABS parts, however honestly, i don't think in this application 3d printing these might be the best option, unless you are looking to actually add some details .. as for details ... 95% of the laser printing done out there SUCKS on detail because it all comes out "stepped" to a certain degree ,,, and it needs polished or sanded .. so you lose detail.. this is why for detail its best to go with uv cured acrylic .. it allows for great detail with very little stepping , however it is more brittle .. ( would crack likely on a large piece like this. .. for some rough shapes and detail, the nylon is still good to a degree however

My recommendation would probably be to do as some others have and either lay the vacuformed parts with glass, or use them to make molds to make fiberglass shrouds.

We can set them up to be 3d printed, but it would take many measurements ... 3d scanning still would only facilitate for the outer shell shape, and strut dimensions would also need to be considered ..

PM or email me if you would like us to either way make these better for you ... we are also working on many 3d printed accessories for jets ( to add to the heli line we carry with 3Ds ) .. so any ideas, suggestions, requests, etc would be great

all best,

Voy
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: Jgwright

Mark

Might be worth trying Paul Gray. I think he has one at his work.

John

Mark
I may be able to point you in the right direction, I have access to FDM, (ABS and Polycarbonate) SLA and SLS (steel, Nylon, GF Nylon, Rubber and EX nylon).I believe in this application (from the sounds of it) SLS would be the best option.
Most of the ‘home’ 3D printers are not worth a light, the ones I am talking about are industrial, I have been involved in this technology for over 15 years.
I would need to see the problem; do you have a 3D CAD drawing? An STL file?
Contact me for further discussions.

Paul G
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to buy one. Haven't settled on the brand yet but it will be one of those models that fall in the $2000 range.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 AM
bluescoobydoo

a cnc machine and nylon solid material might get you what you want rather than printing it alot of waste but another option
Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 AM
wojtek

In the case of what Mark is looking for, i really think CNC machining or 3d printing are not practical, because he already has these parts in plastic. The best would be to take molds from it and make these in fiberglass, or carbon if wanted. for those that have not looked at Mark's link, here is what he is looking to make ( replacing the weal vacuformed covers over the strut)

CNC is going to give you a lot more detail and a better surface, unless you get into some really expensive 3D printers .. With CNC parts can also be prototyped put of hard wax, and then make duplicates out of cast resin. Any of the $2K range printers are great, but even with the best resolutions, they output rough parts with ridges and steps. Not good for scale detail at all unfortunately. I would suggest anyone looking for one of these units to first order up a sample pack to see if the quality is what you need. The technology has a few years to go before affordable ( relative term here) printers are available that output a quality which is adequate for scale modeling.

here is an example what i think guys look for as to the kind of detail desired from a 3d printer, however you will not get this from any printer in the $2k ballpark :\ in this case, its jet deposited UV cured acrylic .. This fuel cap as an example is straight out of the printer and just primed in acrylic finishing primer. this is just over an inch in diameter, and you can see, there is still some stepping visible even here .

[link=http://www.all-scale.com/PROD4_3DS.html]3D printed scale parts[/link]

with that said, the Makerbot, and similar printers, are great for prototyping , and proof of concept work. They are very slow, but useful ... making things like brackets, holders, etc is great out of these . I am myself looking to get one for the house for my 12 year old. He just got into CAD, and I hope this keeps him interested .. ( anything is better than the internet and video games ! lol )

Voy

Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
schroedm

Voy et al,

Thanks for the reposnses. Seems that good old glassfibre/carbon will be the best solution after all. Shame, was fancying a bit of funky new tech on the model somewhere

Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
GrayUK

The 2k printers are no more than a novelty.
The sls machine I am talking about is around 250k
The 3d printer uses Fused Deposition Modelling (fdm)
A 2k unit has poor definition and thick layers.
The industrial equivalent is 120k building parts up to 400 mm cube.
Layer thickness around 0.1 mm

Chalk and cheese!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

The 2k printers are no more than a novelty.
The sls machine I am talking about is around 250k
The 3d printer uses Fused Deposition Modelling (fdm)
A 2k unit has poor definition and thick layers.
The industrial equivalent is 120k building parts up to 400 mm cube.
Layer thickness around 0.1 mm

Chalk and cheese!
Not true. The new machines are high resolution that print out smooth parts on nice size trays.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
AndyAndrews

Here is the one I am currently looking at. I wouldn't call that tractor a "novelty". Looks pretty good to me.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

I think for scale parts this printer would be awesome.

Andy
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
GrayUK

No real strength in the parts.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This was the one to get when it was going to be about 2300, it went up to 3300, lets see where the price ends up.

http://formlabs.com/
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
wojtek

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

This was the one to get when it was going to be about 2300, it went up to 3300, lets see where the price ends up.

Matt,

It still leaves "steps" . I looked at it also, and have seen samples first hand of the output. I will have to look it up, but there are other printers that have similar specs and also work via light cure that are around 1/2 price .. I will post the link when i'm back on my other computer.. they are all pretty slow also still .. From what i have seen of the market, its best to wait another 1 year or so... the tech and pricing can catch up .. many ( most) of these 3d printing companies are just beginning to launch out of their VC funds .. the market has a lot of room for rapid growth and improvement.

Voy
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: wojtek

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Matt,

It still leaves ''steps'' . I looked at it also, and have seen samples first hand of the output. I will have to look it up, but there are other printers that have similar specs and also work via light cure that are around 1/2 price .. I will post the link when i'm back on my other computer.. they are all pretty slow also still .. From what i have seen of the market, its best to wait another 1 year or so... the tech and pricing can catch up .. many ( most) of these 3d printing companies are just beginning to launch out of their VC funds .. the market has a lot of room for rapid growth and improvement.

Voy

I think this is VERY good advice and I plan on following it.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wojtek

In the case of what Mark is looking for, i really think CNC machining or 3d printing are not practical, because he already has these parts in plastic. The best would be to take molds from it and make these in fiberglass, or carbon if wanted. for those that have not looked at Mark's link, here is what he is looking to make ( replacing the weal vacuformed covers over the strut)

CNC is going to give you a lot more detail and a better surface, unless you get into some really expensive 3D printers .. With CNC parts can also be prototyped put of hard wax, and then make duplicates out of cast resin. Any of the $2K range printers are great, but even with the best resolutions, they output rough parts with ridges and steps. Not good for scale detail at all unfortunately. I would suggest anyone looking for one of these units to first order up a sample pack to see if the quality is what you need. The technology has a few years to go before affordable ( relative term here) printers are available that output a quality which is adequate for scale modeling.

here is an example what i think guys look for as to the kind of detail desired from a 3d printer, however you will not get this from any printer in the $2k ballpark :\ in this case, its jet deposited UV cured acrylic .. This fuel cap as an example is straight out of the printer and just primed in acrylic finishing primer. this is just over an inch in diameter, and you can see, there is still some stepping visible even here .

[link=http://www.all-scale.com/PROD4_3DS.html]3D printed scale parts[/link]

with that said, the Makerbot, and similar printers, are great for prototyping , and proof of concept work. They are very slow, but useful ... making things like brackets, holders, etc is great out of these . I am myself looking to get one for the house for my 12 year old. He just got into CAD, and I hope this keeps him interested .. ( anything is better than the internet and video games ! lol )

Voy

Get the boy a lawn mower and in summer dont let him stay in the house unless its raining . lol
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Here is the one I am currently looking at. I wouldn't call that tractor a ''novelty''. Looks pretty good to me.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

I think for scale parts this printer would be awesome.

Andy
Andy,

I have seen a makerbot in a shop and seen the sample parts it produced. Some had more "digital" look than others but there was definately a texture to all of them. I would do as suggested and get some samples before you make your decision. It uses spools of resin in different colours kinda like an ink jet printer.

The cool part was you could make functional bits like interlocking parts to make a custom hinge or hatch latch, etc. custom brackets/mounts for installs would be awesome. Even detailed parts like gears. Pretty tough parts too.

PaulD
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 PM
GrayUK

These are the type of materials i am talking about. [link=http://production3dprinters.com/materials/sls]Mats[/link]
For these you need an industrial system.
As I say, currently home printers are OK for what they are, good for toys and models used during development and concept stages, but if you want something functional ( a real part to be used for a long time) , that needs to take working loads, is UV stable, has a wide temperature range and of high accuracy, you have to go to another level.
I personally have been involved with this in both, usage and development of technology for 15+ years, it’s great, the future of manufacturing as far as I am concerned.
I lecture on the subject for Universities from time to time but my main use of the technology is in rapid manufacturing, supplying Aerospace, Automotive, Military, Formulae one (for on car parts), medical, Oil and Pneumatic systems and of course R and D for all applications.
I think the sudden public awareness of this technology is great, but it has been around for a long time, original SLA technology has been with us for 25 years!
I can see the day in maybe 10 years when home systems will be at a high level.
But currently, to use AM technology (Additive Manufacturing) to its highest level you need a controlled environment with a powerful laser (some new systems are running up to 400 watts). Additional gas supplies of Nitrogen or Argon are also required to purge the build chamber. Temperatures within the chamber reach up to 180 Celsius on plastics and much higher on metals.
All of which prevent the currents high level systems being used at home.

Paul G
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

These are the type of materials i am talking about. [link=http://production3dprinters.com/materials/sls]Mats[/link]
For these you need an industrial system.
As I say, currently home printers are OK for what they are, good for toys and models used during development and concept stages, but if you want something functional ( a real part to be used for a long time) , that needs to take working loads, is UV stable, has a wide temperature range and of high accuracy, you have to go to another level.
I personally have been involved with this in both, usage and development of technology for 15+ years, it’s great, the future of manufacturing as far as I am concerned.
I lecture on the subject for Universities from time to time but my main use of the technology is in rapid manufacturing, supplying Aerospace, Automotive, Military, Formulae one (for on car parts), medical, Oil and Pneumatic systems and of course R and D for all applications.
I think the sudden public awareness of this technology is great, but it has been around for a long time, original SLA technology has been with us for 25 years!
I can see the day in maybe 10 years when home systems will be at a high level.
But currently, to use AM technology (Additive Manufacturing) to its highest level you need a controlled environment with a powerful laser (some new systems are running up to 400 watts). Additional gas supplies of Nitrogen or Argon are also required to purge the build chamber. Temperatures within the chamber reach up to 180 Celsius on plastics and much higher on metals.
All of which prevent the currents high level systems being used at home.

Paul G
Very cool. Yeah, I would only buy a home unit to make small scale parts like thin face plate covers, cockpit details, latches, hub caps etc. As for functional parts I agree with you, we aren't there yet. I believe it will be quicker than 10 years though, especially once these things take off in the retail market.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
wojtek

Yeah, I would only buy a home unit to make small scale parts like thin face plate covers, cockpit details, latches, hub caps etc.
the "affordable" home printers are horrible for this unfortunately ... very grainy and with bad stepping. I have a few samples ill take pics of later tonight if i fond them. I will say however that the PLA/Plastic extruded printers to put out parts that are fairly strong and durable. good enough for brackets, mounts etc ...

Voy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.