Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJCraft Episode

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 AM
pippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BJCraft Episode

hi Tony, for some unknown reason the bottom of my wings and tail are the same color on my nuance and my episode! They are both mainly the orange color. I think it help with the transition from one to the other. I find the shape of the wings and the canaliser make the episode look very different. In a good way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11685.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	1870546  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to get in 12 flights on my new Episode over the last week. Flies great. Will require very little adjustment. Having the other one to learn on really made this one easy to set up. This was the ARC that I posted weights on previously. Looking forward to getting its twin in the air. Very happy with the new scheme. Thanks to JR Varela and Larry Kauffman for the finish work. It looks great and is so easy to see.

Setup is as follows:

Hacker Q80 - 14XS

Castle ICE2 80HV

Futaba BLS551 - Ailerons

Futaba BLS153 - Elevator

Futaba BLS352 - Rudder

Tech Aero Regulator

Thunder Power 900mah RX pack

Thunder Power 25C G8 5400 packs.

Weight is 4906g as it sits.

Arch

Name:	Tr49781.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1870567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41975.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1870568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15500.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1870569  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

I wish I could see the pictures Tony. I'll be really glad when RCU fixes all the issues they have had lately.
I can see why a lot of guys are opting for the ARC versions. I prefer less complicated schemes.
Thanks, Mike
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Take a look on my Facebook page.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 AM
mups53

Thanks Tony.
Arch I've seen yours on FB. I really like it. It reminds me of the scheme you had on the Black Magic 3. Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 AM
bondtasha

Does anyone know what the monokote coulour is for the episode purple or the Prolog pink and availability of the matching Lustrecote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

It isn't Monokote and neither Monokote or Ultrakote match. I believe it is world models Toughlon.

Arch
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

just a quick picture, close in KE.

Name:	He97344.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1879649  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Brenner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice Drive ...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: sc204

just a quick picture, close in KE.
That's spectacular! I watched the video of the plane that Steve Hannah posted. I like the way the Episode presents in the air.
Brenner you should wait a few years before you build yours! I don't want to compete against it. Mike
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Brenner

Hey Mike,

Right. Will do..

I'm hoping that my resurrected Wind S Pro is going to be sufficient for now.

Brenner ...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
mups53

I got a secret weapon Brenner. I wish the season started today. I feel ready.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Stuart Chale

Shows up better in this shot
Stuart C.

Name:	Om34248.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1879693  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, look at all that rudder deflection!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Brenner

That purple spinner is a perfect match for this paint job.

Brenner ...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: Brenner

That purple spinner is a perfect match for this paint job.

Brenner ...
Meant to say. How difficult is it to get spinners anodised? Tru Turn is always behind on getting ours done.
Anthony. That is pretty remarkable isn'***?

Mike
Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Stuart Chale

ORIGINAL: Anthony-RCU

Wow, look at all that rudder deflection!
I would like more rudder With limited flights (2 outings) as I see it, the yaw stability issue that people are discussing is a real issue. The less yaw stability, the easier it is to push the airplane off track ie less rudder throw required. Good for foamy's, good for tight knife edge loops but is it really what we want in a pattern plane. The first day out I clearly saw some of the benefits of the Contra Drive but the lack of yaw stability had me fighting trying to hold a line in a moderate cross wind condition. Not that it is my strong point to start but this was really tough.
I think you want to start out with a very yaw stable plane (maybe lawn dart 80's pattern plane style) when fitting the Contra drive. Now most people seem to be fixing the issue with SFG's, wide rudder, additional dorsal and ventral fins etc, but I really think you need a much more stable configuration to enjoy the contra without adding "doo dads"

I followed Tony and Paul and added a second larger SFG inward of the stock one. Big improvement, rudder still sensitive but less so. I did add a Depron wide rudder extension but lost it after 4 or so passes and pulls. (not held on well enough) I think I liked it but I will have to try again with a better connected version. I had it flared out about 1/2" on each side.

Dorsal fin in front of vertical stab. Can't say I noticed a big difference.

Plane does have a visible pull to the canopy on verticals. This did not seem to be affected by CG. Increasing wing incidence to 1.5 degrees compared to the stab helped but not entirely. Stock position was about .5 degrees positive. I have added some downthrust to try next time out

Stuart C.

Name:	Jh16961.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1879722  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM
TonyF

Pay close attention to the mechanical linkage on the rudder servo. You need a very good servo and the maximum mechanical advantage. I use a JR 8911HV, it's overkill from a torque standpoint but it is a very smooth servo with high resolution. Set the TX to maximum electronic throw, and that may be more then 100% Dr or End Point. Just make sure you're not overdriving the throw. You'll be able to see that if the TX has a servo monitor screen. Then set the linkage so you are getting stall turn throw at the maximum TX throw. Then reduce greatly for normal flight.

I now have mine so that the rudder is not feeling jumpy at all in normal flying but still has lots for KE corners. I don't like to add drag devices for improving yaw stability. I think they add "deadband" but not really stability. Stab fences really help a lot.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM
TonyF

Here is what I have done with my Contra Episode. I won't try to say that what I have done is the only was to trim this model, but so far I am pleased with mine. I may try something else in the future that works better, but this is pretty good now.

I have greatly reduced the incidence of the wing on my Episode. I haven't measured it accurately in degrees yet, may never do it. So what I have done is measure from the canopy hatch line to the center of the TE and LE. On my model the distance for the TE is 4 inches. The distance for the LE is 3 9/16 inches. This is a delta of 7/16 inches.

I've also put downthrust in the motor. I just kept moving the thrust down until it went straight up in a vertical. When I was all done I measured the distance between the front of the stock fuse and the spinner. After doing some trig I came up with a change of 2.7 degrees. So I have moved the thrust line down from the stock location 2.7 degrees.

My model balances just slightly forward of the tube center.

This set up does require a fair amount of up elevator trim. Since the stab currently is not adjustable I have been living with that. The only thing the model is doing that I have not eliminated is a slight pull to the canopy in level KE flight. Since this model requires very little rudder to just hold level KE, it is difficult to get the right mix. The curve mixes will not let me put the 1st point in close enough to really get the correct mix. It's not very much mix, even at the larger rudder movements for integrated rolls and KE loops and corners. I have that very good. It's just the small amount of mix needed for a horizontal roll that I have a problem with. Again, it is very small so it has been easy to live with.

I am going to try moving one of the tubes on the stab in the fuse to change the incidence of the stab. Getting rid of the up elevator trim may get rid of the slight KE pull. But I haven't done that yet.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM
TonyF

BTW, that KE picture was probably in a slow airspeed KE pass. At the speed we normally fly the rolling maneuvers mine takes a lot less rudder.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Stuart Chale

ORIGINAL: TonyF

BTW, that KE picture was probably in a slow airspeed KE pass. At the speed we normally fly the rolling maneuvers mine takes a lot less rudder.
Good eye it absolutely was. About 1/4 throttle trying to allow my flying buddy to get as many pictures as possible.

Stuart
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM
TonyF

I thought so!

I would like to make one thing clear. My issues regarding yaw stability are only in reference to my Contra equipped Episode. The Episodes I have seen flying with a single prop appear to be very good in yaw. But my recommendations regarding stab fences are only to improve a Contra equipped model.

There are many negative things that the Contra drive either removes or greatly reduces compared to a single prop model. But there is one thing with the Contra that must be considered. Props in the front of an airplane do reduce stability. So the Contra is adding another pretty large prop up front. Pattern planes are usually very stable in pitch, so any reduction in stability by adding the extra prop is not usually seen and is very easy to remedy by moving the CG forward a bit. But many of todays pattern models with all of the requirements in F3A have increased the KE by increasing the size of the fuselage and adding a canalyzer. This puts some of them a little on the edge regarding yaw. The Contra can sometimes take the yaw stability a little too far off the edge for comfortable flying. This must be compensated for in the model and is relatively easy to do with stab fences. But they may not be needed at all if you're using a single prop.

BJ Craft has given you a choice with regards to these fences with the Episode. You can try the various options and see what works best for your model. And keep in mind that BJ Craft is always trying new things to make their models the best available.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finish painting mine today

Name:	Om32143.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1884436  
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Flew mine Episode this past with the stock wings and with my prolog wings with the prolog wings the plane is very stable (EPILOG) but will require some coupling mixing minimun other than that the plane feels great with the stock wings I need to change my servos cause they are not giving me a good center but fly great also

Name:	Ge95159.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1888130  
Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM
fehringer

Hello,
I am busy putting my Episode together - can I please check with those of you who are flying their Episode with Brenner's contra drive: How much downthrust are you using in your setup? Would really appreciate your views on this!
Many thanks,
Gerhard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.