Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help with prop choice on Hacker A30

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need help with prop choice on Hacker A30

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with prop choice on Hacker A30

I have a Hacker A30-28S V2 motor and a Hacker X-30 Pro. I've been using an APC 11x4.7 slow fly prop for quite a while now and it seems to work great, but thought I would go with a recommended prop of APC 10x5. I flew for a few minutes and had extreme vibration on the motor. Landed and switched props back to the 11x4.7 and it worked great. I noticed the ESC and battery were quite hot though. Decided to put the 10x5 prop back on and ran it up and it almost pulled the motor out of the mount with a ton of vibration. Props are both balanced by the way.
I'm not really up on electrics so what should I be doing if I want to stick with my 11x4.7 props or others? Do I need to invest in a watt meter to see whats going on with my system, why it's getting so hot? I don't even know how to use one of those meters or what I should be looking for. I need help to say the least.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 AM
cubaneight

Default RE: Need help with prop choice on Hacker A30

Something odd going on here as I wouldn't expect a great difference in motor power consumption between props of such a similar size. If you're getting vibration to such a level with one prop and not the other then I'd say the issue is mechanical rather than the electric setup itself. Fitting the smaller diameter prop is causing the motor to run a bit faster at full throttle and causing vibration by what you describe.... gradually increase the power and RPM and try to determin the cause when the vibration starts.Double check the fit of the prop causing the vibration on the prop driver, are the motor bearings OK and no slack is evident in the armature? if you're using a spinner, is that seated correctly? Is the motor securely fitted to the fuselage - check that the motor mount has not become slightly unglued to the rest of the fuz. Make absolutely sure that the prop is balanced using a balancer.
All electric flyers need a watt meter, a tacho and a set of electronic weighing scales (fisherman's type) to understand how their system is performing - guess work or relying on the often dubious claims of suppliers is the main cause of fried ESCs and motors.
As for learning, there's hundreds of websites with all the information that you need. This one was at the top of a Google search for Electric flight setup http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...ack-to-basics/

Good luck
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need help with prop choice on Hacker A30

Thanks. I'll read through this and double check everything out.