Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt build from Italy

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Skybolt build from Italy

Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 AM
FrancescoR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Skybolt build from Italy

Hi Everybody, I know that there are other Skybolt threads in this forum but i open this one beacause this's mine building. Never done before, but there is always the first time

For first I would like to thank Dave for a lot of suggestions given to me.

I'm considering to make some little changes from Great Planes plan, i thanks toChrisMH for some good idea

1. Pull-pull rudder

2. Servo's location inside fuselage

3. To cover the airplane with dope over Koverall (never use it suggestions welcome!)

4. Change plastic clavis with Great Planes Solder Clevis 2-56

I will replace the control horns with eitherRobart 1/8"

Cowl and wheel pants for now are the orginal, maybe i will change it with fiberglass.

I'm thinking to buy
Dubro'sfuel tank360 cc (12 oz)

I'm thinking to buy Topflite's propellers, the model is Topq5180 (15x8)

The engine that i bought is O.S FS-120S-E, i need the engine mount that soon i'll buy.

For now i don't know which kind of receiver andradio transmitter to buy, i see the Specktrum AR7000 for the receiver, i don't know about radio tramitter (i'm thinking some one kinf 6-channel compatible with the receiver module)so i accept suggestions about it.

Suggestions welcome!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41611.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1881136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63416.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1881137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54556.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1881138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31719.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1881139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20839.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1881140  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Super Skybolt build from Italy

Hey Francesco, good to see you start a thread. Have you started yet? Looking forward to some pictures!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 AM
FrancescoR

Hi Dave! Nice to meet you!

I needed a lot of time to study plan and buy everything i need

i started yesterday to prepare all the little parts offin,rudder, stabilizer and elevators.

Today also epoxy, cianoacrylic and balsa filler are arrived by mail box so this evening after work i glue it!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

looking forward with interest to see your build as you progress.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 262 Likes on 230 Posts

Looks like a nice plane I will be watching this thread!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FrancescoR

Hi Everybody, I know that there are other Skybolt threads in this forum but i open this one beacause this's mine building. Never done before, but there is always the first time

For first I would like to thank Dave for a lot of suggestions given to me.
>
>
>
>
Suggestions welcome!
Hello FrancescoR,

I have recently built this Skybolt; same kit as you have.

My suggestion is to browse the other threads. I have posted dozens of pictures.
Go in particular to the thread named "Skybolt hanger and clubhouse".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._1/key_/tm.htm

I will check the above link before finalizing this post.

I have verified that this link takes you to the proper thread.

Zor
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 AM
BigMikeUSMC

Ciao, Francesco!

This is an especially interesting thread as I am currently building a Super Skybolt, (although the contruction has been halted while I finish several other planes that were already mostly done!)

I have the fuselage mostly complete and have started on the cabanes - not too enthused about that part.

Any tips/thoughts posted here will very likely be a great help for me.

Looking forward to future posts.

All the best,
Mike
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: BigMikeUSMC

Ciao, Francesco!

This is an especially interesting thread as I am currently building a Super Skybolt, (although the contruction has been halted while I finish several other planes that were already mostly done!)

I have the fuselage mostly complete and have started on the cabanes - not too enthused about that part.

Any tips/thoughts posted here will very likely be a great help for me.

Looking forward to future posts.

All the best,
Mike

BigMikeUSMC

Are you referring to "this thread in which we are now writing" or the thread linked to in the preceeding post ?

Zor
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
BigMikeUSMC

Not sure where this question is coming from - the title of the thread is 'Super Skybolt build from Italy' with the OP being FrancescoR - why do you think it should be addressed to a different thread?

Mike
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
weazel1

i built this ship years ago you will have fun i did make the rudder a pull pull system due to it had a hard time holding knife edge but i ran the cables above the elevator which put the control horns middle of the rudder worked great plus i had a ys 120 in mine
Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Zor
Banned

Not sure where this question is coming from - the title of the thread is 'Super Skybolt build from Italy' with the OP being FrancescoR - why do you think it should be addressed to a different thread?

Mike
Mike,

Your post is not addressed but since it is following mine I presume it might be for me.

Nothing is or has to be addressed to a different thread.

If you read again carefully you will see that the OP asked for suggestions.

I gave a suggestion to read other threads dealing with the Skybolt and in particular the thead for which I posted a verified link.

Zor

Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM
BigMikeUSMC

Hello Weazel1,

As stated, I already have the fuse mostly done and am fiddling with the cabane struts (they always seem to cause problems for me!)

I have anOS120 Surpass w/pump that should be just about perfect for this plane, plus it gives me some latitude with tank placement.

Hello Zor,

OK, since your post was in response to mine I couldn't quite figure what you meant. Yes, there are many threads on the Skybolt and all are worth reading.

All the best,
Mike
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello Weazel1,

As stated, I already have the fuse mostly done and am fiddling with the cabane struts (they always seem to cause problems for me!)

I have anOS120 Surpass w/pump that should be just about perfect for this plane, plus it gives me some latitude with tank placement.

Hello Zor,

OK, since your post was in response to mine I couldn't quite figure what you meant. Yes, there are many threads on the Skybolt and all are worth reading.

All the best,
Mike

BigMikeUSMC and FrancescoR,

Note that in the thread I linked to there was many pictures that were apparently lost by RCU as they had software problems many times about posting pictures.

One fellow in his posting asked "where are all the pictures gone?"
Many of these pictures were from my build.

Zor

Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Note that in the thread I linked to there was many pictures that were apparently lost by RCU as they had software problems many times about posting pictures.

Zor

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!

When zor showed-up in the Skybolt Clubhouse, he was new to R/C Universe and was making "experimental" posts to get used to the format. When another member tried to tell him that R/C Universe had a beginner's forum to get used to posting and editing, zor took it that he was being called a beginner to R/C and blew-up. He demanded that the moderators remove all of his posts and they happily obliged him. This is evident from post #124 (5/7/2009) which includes an answer to one of zor's previous (and removed) posts. You will also note that there are no posts from or reference to zor prior to post #124 - proof that there were posts removed by request of zor himself. R/C Universe was NOT having problems and did not remove zor's pictures. Again, he himself demanded his posts be removed.

Note in post #131 that zor declares that he is "gone again". Can't be gone "again" unless you've left before. And again, you'll see members quoting from zor's missing posts - removed by his own request.Readers will notice that zor moved into and claimed the Skybolt Hanger as his own personal blog. He single-handedly killed it.

Francesco, I apologize for marring your thread. I will be removing this tomorrow afternoon, hopefully after there has been enough time to expose zor for what he is - deviously trying to hijack and take-over your build thread.

(in reply toBigMikeUSMC
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: EJWash1

Zor

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!

When zor showed-up in the Skybolt Clubhouse, he was new to R/C Universe and was making "experimental" posts to get used to the format. When another member tried to tell him that R/C Universe had a beginner's forum to get used to posting and editing, zor took it that he was being called a beginner to R/C and blew-up. He demanded that the moderators remove all of his posts and they happily obliged him. This is evident from post #124 (5/7/2009) which includes an answer to one of zor's previous (and removed) posts. You will also note that there are no posts from or reference to zor prior to post #124 - proof that there were posts removed by request of zor himself. R/C Universe was NOT having problems and did not remove zor's pictures. Again, he himself demanded his posts be removed.

Note in post #131 that zor declares that he is "gone again". Can't be gone "again" unless you've left before. And again, you'll see members quoting from zor's missing posts - removed by his own request.Readers will notice that zor moved into and claimed the Skybolt Hanger as his own personal blog. He single-handedly killed it.

Francesco, I apologize for marring your thread. I will be removing this tomorrow afternoon, hopefully after there has been enough time to expose zor for what he is - deviously trying to hijack and take-over your build thread.

(in reply toBigMikeUSMC

Message edited by EJWash1 5/16/2013 1:21 AM

EJWash

AMA 910957

Your workshop is your sanctuary...

______

Old 05-16-2013, 05:25 AM
EJWash1

Very funny zor. The only thing you've done by copying my post is show what a deranged mind you have. I was going to remove the post after enough members could read it and hopefully you'd leave this modeler to build in peace. You've proved that what I posted is true.Thank you for that. As I stated, the reason I posted what I did was to show what you are, sick in the head, and I did not expect you to help me do so - thank you!

So while you're in such a helping mood, posthow the Waco Brotherhood ran you out of their thread, how R/C Groups banned you and is constantly penalizing you for your crude behavior, andhow you're obsessing with young girl's threads. How you threw a childish tantrum and removed hundreds of posts from your own self-worshiping rant thread.After that, share with us what you were incarcerated for.

I'm sure the moderators will be here soon to clean-up after you - as usual.
Enjoy.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, let's keep this thread on topic. It's not here to talk about other build thread, or pictures missing from someplace else on RCU. If you don't have anything to contribute to this build thread then simply don't post here. It's just that simple guys.

Ken
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
EJWash1

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok guys, let's keep this thread on topic. It's not here to talk about other build thread, or pictures missing from someplace else on RCU. If you don't have anything to contribute to this build thread then simply don't post here. It's just that simple guys.
Ken
Thank you Ken.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
FrancescoR

Some small progress in the build, finished the fin and rudder build. Assembled the stab and elevator skeleton. For now itnot be completing until I'll find the need to strengthen the mechanism for pull pull.

For now i don't make to sand all finish parts.

1. Fin and rudder skeleton

2-3. Preparing Fin and rudder for Robart hinge

4-5. Stab and elevator skeleton

6-7.
Fin and rudder balsa cover

I had glue the fin and rudder skeleton with Great Planes Cyanoacrylate kind thick, but for me is not the best solution, too fast drying and is hard or impossible to sand so is nedeed glue very precise. Some little problem with glue between waxed paper and stick's balsa, but all solved.

For the all other parts i used Titebond wood glue, ithas more slow drying and easy to sand, this is most important for the external parts.

Name:	Db84925.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1883635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89918.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1883636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86017.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1883637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20271.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1883638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31137.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1883639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39243.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1883640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77852.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1883641  
Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
smithcreek

Looks great!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
hutch66

I have a pic of mine and if I can find I'll post a pic, built a long time ago. It also had a smoke system. Very good flying airplane. Good luck with yours. Looks great.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 AM
robc57

Francesco, the only thing I'd say after building one is to watch out for the weight, it creeps up very quickly on this model, most seem to come out close to 5Kg.  Mine still flies fine with a 120 Surpass motor but I am very aware of the weight on approach to a landing.  It really does excel at big flowing aerobatics though.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
hutch66

I found the pic. This was around 1994 at Farragut State Park in Idaho. Grass field. The fuse and tail were glassed and painted. The only thing covered were the wings. It had smoke. Yes, guys it was heavy but it flew like a cream puff. Great aerobatics. Hung on the prop, disappeared in the smoke. It really was a nice spectacle. Think it has a OS120 pumped motor but can't remember. Good luck with yours.

Name:	Fd92996.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1884650  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 AM
FrancescoR

Hi guys, thanks for answers, you are too kind, I am still at the beginning

I need the information, I think that the engine needs other part.
The question is this, about the engine choke as you can look in the picture i would understand how to fix the mechanism for regulating the flow of air from the outside of the airplane. I checked that there is a spring that opens the air valve completely and it is possible with a underwire to close it as i want but when i leave theunderwire the valve completely re-open .

Name:	Vt57751.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1884798  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM
smithcreek

I forget if I took my choke off or just never hooked it up, either way you don't need it. My OS 120 starts perfectly without choking every time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.