Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM
aaroncmh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models .60 size P-51 MustangPetie 2nd version

Airborn told me 1/8" was acceptable but 1/4" isn't. They said to drop some CA down into the wing where the shaft is. I did it will see what happens.  

I had a mini maiden today...took her out and taxi'd a bit and she handled pretty well. Nosed over a few times but the grass could have been shorter. But yeah brought her back in and checked stuff out on the inside...seemed to be okay. I'm a little gun shy after my H9 P-47 60 crashed itself on the maiden. All the fuel lines were fine and nothing shifted in the compartment. I moved the batteries back behind the tank (that is over cg) and it made the CG exactly as WM directs. They were beside the tank so she was a little nose heavy for the mini maiden...which didn't help the nose overs of course. 
I need to get a different prop (I think) before the real maiden. I bought a 17x8 because that's all the LHS had that was close and I wanted to test the DLE 20 before I sprung for the WM. I was planning to get a 16x7 which was what I had on the P-47 but I'll probably get the 15x10 on your recommendation. 
Does the 15x10 make the landings any hotter? I think I'll be fine but I don't want her coming in too fast until I get used to her. 

BTW, the elevator servo is buzzing. I can lightly tap it and it'll stop until I move the elevator. It'll stop when I make the right little nudges on the stick too. I think the problem is the 90 where it goes into the servo horn but I can't get it to stop...it's pissing me off too. Ha, ha

Anyway, the plane is sweet and I was really fighting the urge to get airborne...I coulda taken off right into a nice 15 mph breeze. Ha, ha I'm glad I contained myself. 

Late,
Aaron
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
aaroncmh

BTW are the retracts a joke?! I keep waiting for them to collapse or quit going up and down...they gotta do something wrong at least once right? Ha, ha they are way better than the ones that came with the H9 P-47. I found the right servo horn and tightened the set screws at the right length and that was it. 
Actually I probably shouldn't post this...I'm sure the next time out they'll collapse...or maybe get stuck up on the maiden...that'd be sweet. 
Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aaroncmh

I was planning to get a 16x7 which was what I had on the P-47 but I'll probably get the 15x10 on your recommendation. Does the 15x10 make the landings any hotter? I think I'll be fine but I don't want her coming in too fast until I get used to her.
Well the 15x10 will make it a bit hotter on the landings but the flaps take care of that. Where you notice the difference between the 15x10 and at 16" or 17" prop is the take off. Its a bit slower (also more scale like) but with a DLE 20 on a 10lb plane, who cares? A 17x6 would probably give the plane unlimited vertical, a 15x10 won't do that. Big speed difference between a 15x10 or 15x11 and a 17x6 though. I set my plane up for top end and took off and landed on high rates and flew it on low rates. My roll rate was about what a beginner trainer would be and the elevator was probably slower than most trainers but at speed that is the only way to get the smooth low strafing runs that I loved to do with that plane (at least for me).

BTW are the retracts a joke?! I keep waiting for them to collapse or quit going up and down...they gotta do something wrong at least once right? Ha, ha they are way better than the ones that came with the H9 P-47. I found the right servo horn and tightened the set screws at the right length and that was it. Actually I probably shouldn't post this...I'm sure the next time out they'll collapse...or maybe get stuck up on the maiden...that'd be sweet.
I flew mine off of grass for a year with the mechanical retracts. The struts that come with the plane aren't that high of quality and a rough landing will easily bend them. A few times I took off and hit something on the runway hard enough to move the wheel back far enough that it wouldn't close. Once I burned a servo up due to them not closing properly, I bought the electric retracts and that is the way to go.

Keep me talking about this plane and I'll end up buying another one. I have a DLE 20, servos and receiver to use..... Hmmmmm
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

spinnerrow...did ya know that OS has come out with a 15cc gasser for helis? Aircraft model surely will follow
d
Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

spinnerrow...did ya know that OS has come out with a 15cc gasser for helis? Aircraft model surely will follow
d
Yea, I saw that on a few of the boards and magazines. I would still put the DLE 20 in .60 sized warbirds. It is just such a good fit.

I'm torn between another P-51 and a 70" Revolver with a DLE 20 in it.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 AM
aaroncmh

Thanks for the tips on the props SR. Maybe I'll fly it with the 17x8 for a while and see how she handles. I fly like you tho...strafing runs are really cool (esp fast ones) and I ain't doing no aerobatics with the P-51.

And yes your electric retracts look like the hot set up. So get another Petie! Ha, ha
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add a couple of comments here- there is a new Evolution 20GX 20cc (1.20 cu. in.) gas engine $279 that might be a possibility for this plane, if you don't already have an engine picked out. It comes with an inverted pitts muffler standard at this price. Also World Models has updated this plane so it now has fairings on the fuselage next to the wing so it looks a bit better.

Ed
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
aaroncmh

BTW SpinnerRow, how did you get the spinner to work on the DLE? The two brass inserts that came with mine, one is a tad to small and the other is a tad too big.
Along those lines, how did you get it to fit over the prop?

Thanks for your time...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
SpinnerRow

BTW SpinnerRow, how did you get the spinner to work on the DLE? The two brass inserts that came with mine, one is a tad to small and the other is a tad too big.
Along those lines, how did you get it to fit over the prop?

Thanks for your time...
You're not going to like this answer but I had an extra insert from another spinner that just so happened to fit perfectly in the WM spinner.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:30 AM
aaroncmh

Well we made it thru the maiden yesterday. Woo hoo! 

She was acting kinda funny on the first flight...a little twitchy at times and I couldn't get her to stay trimmed. I thought maybe the gas tank was moving around and that was the case. Luckily the landing was very nice with the flaps...just like everyone else says the Petie lands very nice. 

I brought her back and secured up the tank and made some other adjustments and went back for one more flight...all good in the hood. Still needs some trim adjustments but I'm stoked that she lived and we had a good time. 

Today I'm gonna bring the gear up...I left it down so it wouldn't get stuck up. That may have contributed to trim difficulties I suppose. The good news is the gear still goes up and down fine so we'll see what happens. 

Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 AM
aaroncmh

3rd flight retracted gear and she flew much better. Messed up the landing a bit she bounced on me. I figured out that keeping some up elevator on final seems to keep her from ballooning on the flare. 4th and 5th flights were pretty good...I like her more each time she goes in the air. 

I haven't figured out the scale take off either. She just wants to climb right away if I hold up elevator on TO (low rates too). I worry about not having enough air speed but luckily the Petie ain't no H9 Blue Nose...it hasn't been an issue but I do try to climb out gradually just in case. 

The DLE 20 is really sweet...she sounds good plus not having to get all that nitro fuel off the plane is really sweet too. I feel like I'm forgetting something too when I leave the glow plug ignitor, elec starter, battery, etc in the garage. Ha, ha 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 AM
SpinnerRow

Very cool aaroncmh! You're going to really enjoy the plane. If the elevator is a bit twitchy, check the CG again. The plane is pretty tolerant of being a little tail heavy but you pay for it with a twitchy elevator. I flew mine a bit tail heavy to help with landing it. But I wouldn't recommend that until you have a few flights on it.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM
aaroncmh

Thanks for the kind words Spinner but now I need some sympathy. Ha, ha

I had a response typed out yesterday morning but my computer froze up and I lost it. So, I went out for the 7th flight on Monday evening and all was well and good. I took a break, did some weed whacking, ate some food and went out for flight number 8. All was well and good again and it was time to start trying to land so I deployed the gear and flaps and started making the landing pattern. I was just about to turn for final and she dipped down and when I applied elevator she just did the dreaded turn down towards the ground. She did try to come back up for a moment so I thought the elevator servo failed. Well, I wasn't able to find her that night so my father in law came over yesterday and we were able to find her. Upon inspection, I'm pretty darn sure that the flaps failed. I had posted before that there was quite a bit of play in them and they were both off the plane so it seems that the rods pushed thru and caused her to stall when the flaps went up.

I was flying how I had been the previous flights and I still had a small amount of throttle on when she went down...I really don't think I was going slow enough for her to stall on her own (plus she's very forgiving).

So anyway, the Petie was so cool and my favorite plane as of yet...I'm gonna see if Airborne will help me out but if not I'm out of the game for a while (spent too much money on planes ha, ha).

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM
bignasdy

[]
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 AM
aaroncmh

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

[]
Thanks man!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
rc34074

+1 []

I had one - it's a great airplane. Sorry

Ed
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM
aaroncmh

Thanks Ed...much appreciated.

And Airborne told me to just send the wings back so they can see if the flap hinges had glue on them...dude even said cut the wings in half to make a smaller package which I thought was really cool. After he said it I looked at the two hinges that were left in the flap that came off and each one had a little 1/4"x1/4" shiny spot with some balsa on it...which doesn't seem like much glue. Ha, ha
I suppose it's wise to drop some CA on the hinges before you fly.

Also, I'm wondering how many people are like "yeah right you crashed it". Ha, ha
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM
bignasdy

hope it works out for ya. Im not one ..."you crashed it"....but I hope its mfg fault, and not because ya didnt do enough. Been there,,,done that I hate losing planes to such things. I can proudly say that I havent had a failure induced crash since the 70s I just crash myself when I do te heh heh .
I have assembled a few arfs, and I always glue everything I can drip ca onto ,inside the wings and the fuse.  And of course the LG mounts.
Truly hope ya get her back up!
good luck
d
Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM
SpinnerRow

Thanks for the kind words Spinner but now I need some sympathy. Ha, ha

I had a response typed out yesterday morning but my computer froze up and I lost it. So, I went out for the 7th flight on Monday evening and all was well and good. I took a break, did some weed whacking, ate some food and went out for flight number 8. All was well and good again and it was time to start trying to land so I deployed the gear and flaps and started making the landing pattern. I was just about to turn for final and she dipped down and when I applied elevator she just did the dreaded turn down towards the ground. She did try to come back up for a moment so I thought the elevator servo failed. Well, I wasn't able to find her that night so my father in law came over yesterday and we were able to find her. Upon inspection, I'm pretty darn sure that the flaps failed. I had posted before that there was quite a bit of play in them and they were both off the plane so it seems that the rods pushed thru and caused her to stall when the flaps went up.

I was flying how I had been the previous flights and I still had a small amount of throttle on when she went down...I really don't think I was going slow enough for her to stall on her own (plus she's very forgiving).

So anyway, the Petie was so cool and my favorite plane as of yet...I'm gonna see if Airborne will help me out but if not I'm out of the game for a while (spent too much money on planes ha, ha).

Well, that sucks. It sounds like you stalled it and it dipped a wing. The flaps work really well on that plane to slow it down. I've dipped a wing a time or two on the landing and it is scary for sure. That's why I land on high rates (about as much as I can get on the ailerons and just a bit more elevator than low rates) so that I have a chance to respond. It took me a year of flying the thing (and watching an old timer land his) that I finally figured out how to land it. We have trees on each end of our field and the best way was to hop of the trees with the throttle a tick off idle and let it drop or maybe even help it drop with a bit of down and when it gets 5-8 feet off the ground, drop the throttle, level out (while still letting it descend a bit) and let it settle in on its own using the elevator as little as possible. If you try to land this plane like an Edge or a Stick, it will make you pay for it - emotionally and monetarily.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
rc34074

Thanks Ed...much appreciated.

And Airborne told me to just send the wings back so they can see if the flap hinges had glue on them...dude even said cut the wings in half to make a smaller package which I thought was really cool. After he said it I looked at the two hinges that were left in the flap that came off and each one had a little 1/4''x1/4'' shiny spot with some balsa on it...which doesn't seem like much glue. Ha, ha
I suppose it's wise to drop some CA on the hinges before you fly.

Also, I'm wondering how many people are like ''yeah right you crashed it''. Ha, ha

Hmm - well if one flap came loose (separated from the wing due to the hinges coming loose) on the approach that side of the wing would lose lift and the loose flap would cause a lot of drag on that side. Both would tend to make that side of the wing drop. So did that side of the wing drop?

Ed
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
aaroncmh

Yo fellas, I sent the wings back to Airborne and they'll be there tomorrow...will let you know what they say.

Thanks Bignasdy...been there done that for sure...we've all been there eh?

On the crash, I was flying at a decent pace to where she wouldn't have stalled with the flaps down. I believe that because I had been doing the same routine for the previous flights (had flown slower and made turns too). I really couldn't tell which way she turned and what not...she was really far away plus it's kind of a blur in my mind at this point.

Oh well we'll see what happens. One piece of decent news about the catastrophe, I think I can put her back together with new wings and a tail section. Ha, ha

Peace,
Aaron
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM
aaroncmh

Well, Airbourne wouldn't concede that there was a defect in the flaps or anything else. They were very good about the issue though and I dealt with one person on it the whole time. If I had it to do over I would have requested an exchange on the wings (due to the excessive play in the flaps) but oh well...I probably stalled it anyway. Ha, ha

Regardless of their findings, they gave me a deal on a new one so it'll be heading my way soon. I'll get her together and back in the air.

Thanks Airbourne for the help...and I still think the WM Petie is a great plane...I've missed her the last month or so.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
SpinnerRow

I don't know guys... I have a DLE 30 that I need to do something with and it may be the ESM Petie from TroyBuilt:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMP51D-71CAF.html
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM
aaroncmh

Looks good to me man.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 AM
vwpowered

I just purchased one of these Mustangs. I am putting a saito .100 twin on her. Anyone use a twin engine on one of these mustangs? I wonder if this engine has enough power to power her?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.