Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

thanks hllywdb
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
stinson sr-9f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks and sounds just like my norvell give us the exact reason why this is important those motors are not even sold anymore .I have mine on a geebee dreamer bipe and would love to try gas ..I found nothing about glow plugs working with pump gas ..Nore did we find that anybody has tried it so you pulling our legs or is this real.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
hsukaria

It would help you if you read the whole thread and follow this engine from the beginning. Then you can make up your own conclusion. I can tell you what I think, but you would be better off making up your own mind.

FWIW, I plan on buying one (or maybe 2) in the future.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM
toolmaker7341

I bought 1 before they were advertised on their web site. They run like a bear,if you think this is a joke "your lose" read the whole thread
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: stinson sr-9f

Looks and sounds just like my norvell give us the exact reason why this is important those motors are not even sold anymore .I have mine on a geebee dreamer bipe and would love to try gas ..I found nothing about glow plugs working with pump gas ..Nore did we find that anybody has tried it so you pulling our legs or is this real.

Norvel isn't around anymore, of course,but it was replaced by NV Engines which sell the same Norvel engines under their brand instead. Yes you can still buy NV engines and they are pretty much completely compatible with the earlier Norvel branded engines, in case you need parts to fix one. But yes you can buy a NV .40 gas engine right now if you want to. I have bought several NV glow engines from them over the last year or so already too.

Well I just bought a NV .40 gasengine and it arrived this week, so I haven't had a chance to run it. But if you had read the thread from the beginning you would have seen that they have been running the engines for quite a while already. They are flying them too.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
toolmaker7341

Sorry I clicked on the wrong post
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM
hsukaria

earlwb,
Have you messed with adjusting the head shims much? I recently added a second shim to my AX-40 because the glowplug died on me. I am not sure ifthe excess pressure/heat did it, but just as a pre-caution. I have not had a chance to fly it yet with the 2 shims. I am running 5% nitro with a small APC 9x7 prop. So, the high rpm's might have caused it.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
hllywdb

hsukaria
I have been running 2 head shims on my AX 40 for a few years now. I run 15% Byrons. I would think that with 5% you would not need it, but it could be the rpm. On the other hand, I run 19k on my 25 NV on a tuned pipe with just one shim. I am running OS 8's in both of them.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
hsukaria

Yeah, I found out that I had a Fox Miracle plug on mine. That is why I was wondering. I replaced it with a Fox #8, which is a cooler plug. So, maybe I might go back to one head shim if running 5% and cold plug.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

earlwb,
Have you messed with adjusting the head shims much? I recently added a second shim to my AX-40 because the glowplug died on me. I am not sure ifthe excess pressure/heat did it, but just as a pre-caution. I have not had a chance to fly it yet with the 2 shims. I am running 5% nitro with a small APC 9x7 prop. So, the high rpm's might have caused it.

I run 5% nitro in my engines and sorry I haven't messed with adding or removing shims yet. I wasn't trying to get 19k RPMs out of the engines either nor was I running a tuned pipe on them.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

In most of the western world it seems, every new product is launched with great fanfare and a media blitz of outrageous claims of how it makes you look 10 years younger, cures your asthma, and makes you lose 20 lbs in 6 days. Much of the world is not like this. How ironic is it that we distrust the companies that DON'T do this? It is the insane cost of doing this combined with selling to big box stores at steep discounts that has forced good companies like OS to outsource manufacturing to China just to stay in the black.

Both Fox and Enya have stepped off this crazy train. Fox has quietly released a .50 size gas motor with just a 1 paragraph blurb saying that it runs on gas. I have no doubt that it works well, but at a retail price of $399, even the introductory offer of $275 doesn't make me jump. I know if I want one I have to contact Fox.

Enya dropped North American distribution a while ago. But if you e-mail Enya they will gladly sell you a motor and promply ship it. I replaced a crankshaft on my Enya .09 and a carb on an Enya 45, I could'nt just go on Tower's site and point and click, I did it all by e-mail, and at no time did I feel this was somehow ''Dubious or Shady.'' I also don't feel that Ken Enya is being unscrupulous by not telling me how he makes his plug for the 180 or what is in his oil mix. I also don't expect him to stop and take time to comment on these forums, especially given the content of some of the posts.

I have ordered engines and parts for my Norvel engines the same way and have no problems. I certainly don't expect NV to appear on these forums and jump into the fray or explain to me how they make their motors other than what they post on their site. Most of us that play in the 1/2a side of this sport are used to this. We were ordering parts from Bernie and happily running our engines while others chose to speculate on the state of his company or where the parts were coming from. If you wanted a VA, Cyclone, or Fora it was the same way.

I happened to be fortunate enough to test this motor and have answered everyone's questions the best I can, have tried different props you asked about and reported the numbers and flight charecteristics. I've told you how I mix the fuel, what plugs work, etc... I think most of you that have contacted Alex and asked for a motor have gotten a very straight response, just like you would with Enya. I guess I just fail to see the issues that people seem to get so up in arms about.
but we're not dealing with tower here, we're also not dealing with the russian manufacturer. this alex/klondike/NV guy is supposedly the one that got the wheels turning again and the NV website supposedly belongs to him....so why no update on something so potentially revolutionary?
Zagnut, I've just read through this entire thread.
Why don't you just stop whining. And stop bashing a product YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN!

If you really are THAT curious, just shell out 160 bucks and buy one!

Then run it, and if it is as horrible as you claim it is...report back.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

After reading through this thread, I just ordered a GX .40. Anyone know how long it takes to receive it from NV?

Gerry
Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 PM
hsukaria

I have only ordered parts for my engine, and they are fairly fast.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Ernie Misner

I thought castor burned dirtier than all of the modern synthetics. I'm having a hard time believing that the synthetics at 20:1 or whatever would fould a plug before the castor would. Perhaps the Benol runs cleaner? Castrol R was the worst for plug fouling that I ever saw..... along with high lead content gas back in the day. The Lodge cold plugs for Bultacos were expensive too!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 AM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: sledge_78
After reading through this thread, I just ordered a GX .40. Anyone know how long it takes to receive it from NV?
Gerry
I ordered the NV .40 gas engine on Saturday and it arrived on my doorstep on Tuesday. A lot faster than I was expecting too.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:18 AM
the pope

Hi ,
is everyone going to use klotz castor with their engines . Here in Aus I have just asked at a couple of m/c shops as well as my L.H.S. and they hadn't even heard of Klotz . While I think there is a importer here it would be much easier if I can just use your run of the mill castor oil and considering I have a gallon of the stuff in the shed will it work ok . I ordered my engine on the 17th and cant wait .Does anyone have a link or pdf to the instruction manual as that may ease the pain some what . Also what do people use to remove the backplate ? I don't want to damage it in anyway , I ordered the tool for removing the head but they don't make one for the back plate . Cheers the pope
Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Zagnut, I've just read through this entire thread.
Why don't you just stop whining. And stop bashing a product YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN!

If you really are THAT curious, just shell out 160 bucks and buy one!

Then run it, and if it is as horrible as you claim it is...report back.
thought i'd leave this alone for a while but then you have to drag me back in...

never was curious and having finally seen one run i won't be either.

when a russian describing the engine ends every sentence with "suka blat!" things aren't rosy.

so YOU go buy one!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: the pope
Hi ,
is everyone going to use klotz castor with their engines . Here in Aus I have just asked at a couple of m/c shops as well as my L.H.S. and they hadn't even heard of Klotz . While I think there is a importer here it would be much easier if I can just use your run of the mill castor oil and considering I have a gallon of the stuff in the shed will it work ok . I ordered my engine on the 17th and cant wait .Does anyone have a link or pdf to the instruction manual as that may ease the pain some what . Also what do people use to remove the backplate ? I don't want to damage it in anyway , I ordered the tool for removing the head but they don't make one for the back plate . Cheers the pope

I am not sure if Klotz is sold outside of the USA or Canada, there is probably something like it inAustralia though. NV Engines says you can use technical Castor but not Medical Castor (although I don't think there really is a difference, but for medical castor oil you want plain unadulterated castor with no additives in it like sugar). Klotz Benol brand castor oil has some extra additives to enable it to mix better with methanol or gasoline, but other than that I think itis is castor oil. But Klotz Benol is supposed to have something like double the film strength versus degummed castor and has less combustion product residue as well.

You might look for something like Castrol M, or maybe Castrol 747 (although some people say it is bad for engines), or Castrol MSSR, or ML 70, or maybe Penrite Synthetic Castor Race 40 (a number of guys seem to report on it being the best).

Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 AM
stinson sr-9f

never mind its only A little 40 anyways
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM
TampaRC

Could this same technology apply to larger engines such as 1.20, 1.60, 2.10, etc?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM
hsukaria

I am waiting/hoping for a 60 with this setup. That takes advantage of not having to have the extra weight from the spark ignition. The larger engines that you mention would not add a relatively large weight penalty to a larger airframe if they had a little extra weight from the spark ignition.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM
CiprianGugu
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: stinson sr-9f

never mind its only A little 40 anyways
Stinson,
I saw your post before you edited it.

Sig dont know what they are talking about. Look at NV's web site: www.nvengines.com. It is a gas engine that uses a glow plug just like the glow engine. The benefit of this is that you don't need an ignition, so you don't have to carry along an ignition, battery, etc.

Here is a direct link to the engine: http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=65

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
hllywdb

The pope,
Regular technical castor will work fine. You just need to let it sit for a week to mix well. I think someone posted a pic of the fuel mix from the instruction book a page back or so. You can probably get the fuel mixed while waiting for the engine.

I like the Benol as it mixes faster and burns a bit cleaner, especially in the combustion chamber. But those are minor points.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
the pope

Thanks for the replies , I see on the H.H.Q. website which is a wholesaler here in Aus. that they have it but getting it may be another thing . I had to wait almost a yr for some saito parts despite them saying they had it instock and the L.H.S. saying nothing has been delivered . So you can see if I could use something else it would be good . I think I have some Castrol M lying around and if its just a matter of having to wait a few more days to let it ferment its no problem . Now for the petrol side of things , we either have 91 normal straight gas or 95 with I think %10 ethanol added rated gas beside the premium stuff , any ideas which I should use . Also what are people using for the removal of the back plate ? Cheers the pope
Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
hsukaria

As far as removing the backplate, I used a straight-edged piece of metal. But there is a danger of messing it up if it slips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.