Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

ORIGINAL: dubd

I agree with Andy given that two large FEJ honeycomb planes experienced this issue. Why take a chance? When Quique model company got wind of a possible issue with the wing on his Yak he advised them not to be flown until he could investigate. GJC just issued a similar warning on one of the Fei Bao models. These are toy planes and it is not life or death if we ground them while this matter is looked into. To keep flying these planes without further investigation is negligent IMO.
Please share with us which Feibao plane has this safety issue. For the good of the community.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilYabelli

I agree with Andy given that two large FEJ honeycomb planes experienced this issue. Why take a chance? When Quique model company got wind of a possible issue with the wing on his Yak he advised them not to be flown until he could investigate. GJC just issued a similar warning on one of the Fei Bao models. These are toy planes and it is not life or death if we ground them while this matter is looked into. To keep flying these planes without further investigation is negligent IMO.
Please share with us which Feibao plane has this safety issue. For the good of the community.

It was a FB MIG-21.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 AM
dubd

I spoke to Boli about the elevator failure on the phone and he said the formers were also broken. That should lay to rest any doubt that my F-14 did not suffer structural failure. FEJ needs to learn how to properly use honeycomb before using it on load bearing structures.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I spoke to Boli about the elevator failure on the phone and he said the formers were also broken. That should lay to rest any doubt that my F-14 did not suffdr sstructural failure. FEJ needs to learn how to properly usd honeycomb before using it on load bearing structures.
The internal pics will come soon.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:43 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Jim
Never do install your servo linkage this way. This is poor mechanical linkage.
Look at the drawing on my post about mechanical advantage linkage set up.
You want the servo arm to be short as possible. The control arm on the stabs long as possible. Allow your ATV travel at least 100% to get the max mechanical advantage.
This also reduce sloppy play between the servo to the flying surface.
Yes proper pivot point the stabs will be more dynamic balance require less torque from the servo to hold the stabs and prevent your servo from stalling.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...57/Ur52162.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19753.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1884799  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

David S.  I have read many of your earlier threads and you did support fej.   I see you as one of the pioneers of this jet community.  You was the first rc jet pilot i saw on utube or tv.

My question to all:

How many HC jets are flying now?  I would guess on the small side a 100 and the large side 1000 or more.

So far 2 jets "allegedly" have structural failure.   Why out of a 100 jets flying if 2 crash should we ground fej HC jets, it's not reasonable.
If

If my jet crash and i get on RCU and say it was an issue with the Jet, is that all the evidence needed?  If so, the "jet" hobby will not survive.

I had the very first HC f-14 and i had flutter with the rudder, very easy fix.  Also it was the first jet i ever build.  It flew great.  Now you can say it was flown like a pattern or easy or whatever but it flew great to me. 

I agree we should hold FEJ accountable if there is issues but we need to do the same for all companies.  And before anyone says "we do hold all jet comp" accountable.  Where is the thread,  when the person found a razor blade holding a stab together?  Not one thread started.  Why did no one mention the name of the Jet Co., in the title of the thread or in the entire thread, when the tailpipe collapsed, but FEJ name was mentioned throughout the thread.

If safety is the real reason we need to have an unbiased examination of all jet.  As i stated in many threads before.  Let start with the weight issues on these jets.  Do you guys really think there are only 18 jets over the 55 weight limit flying in the US?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Stop buying this stuff!! Like BVM says in an old catalog, "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice".
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

David S. I have read many of your earlier threads and you did support fej. I see you as one of the pioneers of this jet community. You was the first rc jet pilot i saw on utube or tv.

My question to all:

How many HC jets are flying now? I would guess on the small side a 100 and the large side 1000 or more.

So far 2 jets ''allegedly'' have structural failure. Why out of a 100 jets flying if 2 crash should we ground fej HC jets, it's not reasonable.
If

If my jet crash and i get on RCU and say it was an issue with the Jet, is that all the evidence needed?
Why even try and defend FEJ when they haven't made any attempts at addressing these issues? Like I said in a previous post, with other manufactures it only took 1 crash for them to ask their customers not to fly the planes until they finished an investigation. FEJ hasn't done squat... not even a cautionary email.

I'm all for holding other companies accountable. Let's start with the two most recent issues with FEJ since the owners HAVE asked for accountability. I made my crash public and Boli has made the F-18 issue known, yet where is FEJ management? The owners of other manufacturer's planes can speak for themselves.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: ledd4u

Stop buying this stuff!! Like BVM says in an old catalog, ''Buy Cheap, Buy Twice''.
Hear! Hear!! Or Buy CARF!!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a question to clarify...was this in fact, a HC Airframe? The main reason for this question...Tam is focusing on mechanical and momentum...we need to wacth out here as we start wanting "ground" airframes.

Thanks,
Rex
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbxbear44

Just a question to clarify...was this in fact, a HC Airframe?

Thanks,
Rex
Honey Comb
Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 AM
rbxbear44

I want to hear this from the owner or Boli to clarify...no offense...just want to make sure we are on the right track here.

Rex
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Hope my post proper install is important to all and it a must on the lists to do.
And try to cut the craps about FEJ business ethic. Enough said on other threads.
Let help those had FEJ planes from crashing to the ground.
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

David S. I have read many of your earlier threads and you did support fej. I see you as one of the pioneers of this jet community. You was the first rc jet pilot i saw on utube or tv.

My question to all:

How many HC jets are flying now? I would guess on the small side a 100 and the large side 1000 or more. A COMPLETE ASSUMPTION, on your part, you have no data to support either number!

So far 2 jets ''allegedly'' have structural failure. If you call the video of Dubd F-14, video of the J-10 wings flapping like a bird, photos of the damage to Boli's F-18F "allegedly structural failure" you're not being "reasonable". Why out of a 100 jets flying if 2 crash should we ground fej HC jets, it's not reasonable. How many, in your opinion, should it take? Should we wait for someone to get killed, first?
If

If my jet crash and i get on RCU and say it was an issue with the Jet, is that all the evidence needed? If so, the ''jet'' hobby will not survive.

I had the very first HC f-14 and i had flutter with the rudder, very easy fix. Also it was the first jet i ever build. It flew great. Now you can say it was flown like a pattern or easy or whatever but it flew great to me.

I agree we should hold FEJ accountable if there is issues but we need to do the same for all companies. And before anyone says ''we do hold all jet comp'' accountable. Where is the thread, when the person found a razor blade holding a stab together? Not one thread started. Why did no one mention the name of the Jet Co., in the title of the thread or in the entire thread, when the tailpipe collapsed, but FEJ name was mentioned throughout the thread.

If safety is the real reason we need to have an unbiased examination of all jet. As i stated in many threads before. Let start with the weight issues on these jets. Do you guys really think there are only 18 jets over the 55 weight limit flying in the US? I have no evidence to the contrary, but have already expressed my position on this matter in other threads.
dubd

Wap, for the record I would have posted my F-14 crash regardless of who made the plane. The difference is, if my F-14 was made by Skymaster, Anton would not have ignored me or sent a message through a rep saying it was my batteries. Anton would have been proactive, thus I would not have needed to post the thread asking the community for help.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
AndyAndrews

I seriously doubt 100 HC jets are flying (actually flown) right now Wap. More like 25-50 in the USA. The problem FEJ has verses other jets in the market place, is that theirs are the ones currently falling out of the sky and they don't seem to be addressing the issues everyone has brought up to them as to the cause of it. If they are, they have not successfully informed anyone that they are working on it. If you are aware of another jet manufacturer who is experiencing similar problems (without addressing it) of structural failures in flight, please let me know and I will join that band wagon to raise awareness of that manufacturer.

I'm all ears.

Regarding the weight limit issue. This can be enforced at every local field and every event by having the CD's compare the jets at the events to the AMA list or weigh jets that are in question if they are not on the list. It's quite simple.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
David Searles

I want to hear this from the owner or Boli to clarify...no offense...just want to make sure we are on the right track here.

Rex
Rex,

Read the very first line in the first post in the thread. Boli identifies the jet as HoneyComb.

"Today I was making the fifth flight since new of the big F-18F twin from Fly Eagle Jets (Honeycomb fuselage) that I am flying for a friend."

David S
Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 AM
AndyAndrews

Rex
Rex,

Also, Boli stated it was HC in the video.

Andy
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
FLY EAGLE JET

The F18 was shipped with directly drive on his model. If you want to change it to be mechanism system , you will need to change complete bulkhead former design. We do not recommend customer to change himself.
Now, if you need complete   Stuff to repair and change, we can send stuffs to you by emailing us.
Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: FLY EAGLE JET

The F18 was shipped with directly drive on his model. If you want to change it to be mechanism system , you will need to change complete bulkhead former design. We do not recommend customer to change himself.
Now, if you need complete Stuff to repair and change, we can send stuffs to you by emailing us.
Thanks

FEJ's response is to replace one poorly designed system with another poorly designed system. Keep your "stuffs" and properly design these planes!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM
AndyAndrews

Now, if you need complete Stuff to repair and change, we can send stuffs to you by emailing us.
Thanks
Didn't Boli state that the safety modifications made were per FEJ's recommendations/instruction?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
rbxbear44

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Rex
Rex,

Boli stated it was HC in the video.

Andy
Thanks David and Andy...I see that now.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Why say "ALL" FEJ to be grounded?? Do YOU know for a FACT that ALL are faulty?????  If you say "yes"  Please provide ALL documents!!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM
David Searles

Thanks
Copied from my post #39:
Beave, I'm sure that FEJ will blame this on your modifications. But the simple fact is that when we attempt to re-engineer these aircraft, all we do is transfer the stress to the next weakest link in the airframe! Without adequate testing, that FEJ obviously has not chosen to do, there is no way to know what the end result will be. This is a perfect example!

They just don't get it!

David S
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

I would love to buy BVM as soon as they make something other than a F4 to fly.  Don't like the sports jets.

Dubd-  I know you will and as i stated before i think FEJ should have made a statement immediately but they didn't.

David- these entire threads is all about ASSUMPTIONS or at most hypothesis.  The statements that HC or the linkage is responsible for the crash is an assumption or at most a hypothesis.  What "expert" gave his opinion on the crash?  And i assure you for every expert that says HC caused the crash there will be another expert that says it had nothing to do with the crash.

You have "expert builders" building planes, who's accountable.  They decided to change the design of the jet to what they believe is a proper design, then it failed.  Maybe they did make it better, but maybe on the other hand they didn't.  Who Knows?

I know the name of the jet company with the exacto blade in the stab but they didn't say it i will not out of respect.   But for "safety" reason should we ground every plane from that company until every owner proves that a exacto blade is not holding the stab together?  Of course not, because that would be unreasonable.

I have not been to a lot of jet meets, i think about 5 or so,  i will bet money that a jet going 250 mph at a jet met will kill someone before a fej planes collaspe in the air and kill someone.

PS.  My 1/7 f-14 twin all HC weight i believe 66 pounds wet.  (I'm just saying) 

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.