Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Butchering the Butcher Bird

Since I am mounting a high compression, spark ignited, nitro burning 4-stroke radial & planning on spinning a near scale sized 3-blade prop, cooling will be a priority.

As I said previously, the Saito 450R3D is @ least 1/4" too long so it dawned on me that if I modeled an A-5 variant, I could extend the nose almost 1 1/4" for a scale proportion. I can get 7/8" standoffs from Horizon so that brings me pretty close to where I want to be.

So anyway I had to cut away the fake exhaust stacks. I am going to use whatever diameter of semi flattened aluminum tibe that will simulate the scale exhuast yet allow air passage. That also opened up a "chamber" behind the fake cooling louvers.

I can box in that chamber, cut some holes in the fuselage former & I'm debating whether to just try to open up the fiberglass louvers or make a casting off them & make me a little stamping die for a 2X strike in some .020" aluminum sheet. I'm leaning towards aluminum as I think it will hold up better than the thin fiberglass.

In this frontal view you can see if I bevel the rear edge there is just enough meat left in the fuselage former next to the motor box to cut some slotted holes.

Since all that neads to protrude from the cowl will be the collector ring exuast outlet @ the bottom, I'm trying to use the scale cooling fan & baffling W/effecient outlets to keep the big triple cool W/O cutting big holes in the cowl..

The 1 1/4" longer nose moment W/6# of radial hanging off it should help tremendously in the CG department.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM
tfarmer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go Jimmy what a great warbird event. Heres your 190 giving that 47 hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGie9XRb-Nw
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude... That wasn't a low pass, that was a touch and go..lol Real nice!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Tommy_Gun

The only thing wrong with that video was the obnoxious sound of that other
plane with the 2 stroke. Gawdz I was glad when it was finally shut down.
Yes I am a 4 stroke snob.....remove the n from that if you like.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Terry for the video That was one heck of a good fly in....now we gonna do it in Texas....looking forward to it.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 PM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

What are you guys using for wheels?  The foam wheels that came with the kit are pretty flimsy on pavement.

I am not sure I want to spend the money on the Vogelsang set for this plane!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sierra Giant Scale Custom Wheels are the nice aluminum CNC wheels that have the scale Continental tires, around $80ea.
Otherwise order a set of Dubro 5in wheels http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD785&P=ML
Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 AM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

Touch'n'go?

More like mowing grass [X(]

LoL

I'm finishing my Holman FW190D9 and will continue on my Dave Platt FW190A. After this, I see a Meister-scale kit in the works.
Seriously - how many of these FW190's have you got, Ram?

Sounds like quite a few

....that is some pretty serious lookin major surgery you're doing there on yours, SrTelemaster150. Hope it all works out for you.

From your pics, I just noticed that the exhaust panel/shroud (or whatever you call it) looks to be made out of fibreglass (?). I thought it may have been pressed metal or something? Is it just painted silver to make it look like it's actually metal?

When (if) I eventually get my hands on a TF 190, I was hoping to make an exhaust ring collector and run the outlets through the back of the cowl and across the exhaust panels to make the gunk-stains look like they're where they are meant to be, as well as maybe hopeully having a bit of a different sound to the more common Keleo setups. Would that f/g panel cope ok with being pelted with an active exhaust stream?

BJ

Old 05-27-2013, 02:23 AM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Can't think of any bombers that used inlines? Really? Ever heard of an Avro Lancaster, Heinkel He-111, Tupolev SB2, Avro Lincoln, Avro Manchester, HE 177, etc etc etc ?
*stands corrected*

BJ
Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: BJ64

....that is some pretty serious lookin major surgery you're doing there on yours, SrTelemaster150. Hope it all works out for you.

From your pics, I just noticed that the exhaust panel/shroud (or whatever you call it) looks to be made out of fibreglass (?). I thought it may have been pressed metal or something? Is it just painted silver to make it look like it's actually metal?

When (if) I eventually get my hands on a TF 190, I was hoping to make an exhaust ring collector and run the outlets through the back of the cowl and across the exhaust panels to make the gunk-stains look like they're where they are meant to be, as well as maybe hopeully having a bit of a different sound to the more common Keleo setups. Would that f/g panel cope ok with being pelted with an active exhaust stream?

BJ

It's not as serious As it looks. The initial "surgery" isn't as serious as the "plastic surguery" that will be needed to extend the nose 1 3/16". My main concern is extending the gun hood & making it look "seamless".

Yes the cooling vents are fiberglass & I'm going to try making inside/outside patterns out of steel filled epoxy to make a stamping die to make 2 replacement panels out of .020" aluminum.

I'll let you know how it works out because this could come in handy for your ASP FS400R5 application.

Another somewhat difficult task will be boxing in the back side of the chamber behind the vent panel. I've decided to cut out the whole panel later this afternoon after a thorough "hanger" cleaning. I need as much cooling as I can get so making the vents functional seems like a great option to avoid large holes in the cowl.

I like your idea of a custom collector ring & I'm thinking along those lines myself for the FA450R3D. W/the through the case induction & CDI I'll be able to drop oil content way down to the 10% or less level.

Speaking of CDI. Have you contacted C&H yet? He has a prototype module for 5-cylinder radials & he has tested it on an ASP FS400R5.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 AM
BJ64

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

...Speaking of CDI. Have you contacted C&H yet? He has a prototype module for 5-cylinder radials & he has tested it on an ASP FS400R5.

Yah - CH posted some info in the ASP 400 thread. Thanks

At this stage, I'm hoping to just get my ASP going on glow/nitro as-is for now - hopefully with a glow-controller.

I'd love to go CDI further down the track though.

Still a green-horn at all this stuff mate [X(]

Hope you post your 'metal adventures' on here...

BJ
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 AM
SrTelemaster150

...Speaking of CDI. Have you contacted C&H yet? He has a prototype module for 5-cylinder radials & he has tested it on an ASP FS400R5.

Yah - CH posted some info in the ASP 400 thread. Thanks

At this stage, I'm hoping to just get my ASP going on glow/nitro as-is for now - hopefully with a glow-controller.

I'd love to go CDI further down the track though.

BJ
Yeah you have some ways to go W/your ASP before investing in CDI.

Hope your reliability issues work out W/the rebuild.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 AM
BJ64

Actually - I'm quite chuffed with the rebuild.

Starts on a dime and runs like a Swiss Watch - albeit a rather oily one LoL.

The only real 'reliabilty' problem with the ASP 400's is that so many of them seem to be shipping without any pre-lubrication up front in the nose-cone area (where the cam, reduction/timing gears etc. live).

The original OS/Magnum design of this engine with the basic 'factory' inlet manifold seems to get enough fuel/lube through to the main crankcase wafer, but doesn't seem to throw a lot of fuel/oil past the main bearing plate and up into the nose-cone. While the crank itself seems to get it's share of lubrication (and a heap of oil splutters out of the the bottom vent nipple), even the main bearing doesn't look like it gets fed any decent amount of oil either. And upstairs in the rocker arm deparment/pushrods to downstairs in the tappet region tends to run fairly dry too.

For those interested in some in-depth discussion, trials, tribulations, and possible mods for this engine, come across to http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67..._1/key_/tm.htm and have a gander.

There's a stack of useful info, and it's growing all the time. As time goes by, this lil engine will hopefully prove to be a solid alternative and we'll see a few in some TF FW190's somewhere

BJ
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 AM
SrTelemaster150

Actually - I'm quite chuffed with the rebuild.

Starts on a dime and runs like a Swiss Watch - albeit a rather oily one LoL.

The only real 'reliabilty' problem with the ASP 400's is that so many of them seem to be shipping without any pre-lubrication up front in the nose-cone area (where the cam, reduction/timing gears etc. live).

The original OS/Magnum design of this engine with the basic 'factory' inlet manifold seems to get enough fuel/lube through to the main crankcase wafer, but doesn't seem to throw a lot of fuel/oil past the main bearing plate and up into the nose-cone. While the crank itself seems to get it's share of lubrication (and a heap of oil splutters out of the the bottom vent nipple), even the main bearing doesn't look like it gets fed any decent amount of oil either. And upstairs in the rocker arm deparment/pushrods to downstairs in the tappet region tends to run fairly dry too.

For those interested in some in-depth discussion, trials, tribulations, and possible mods for this engine, come across to http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67..._1/key_/tm.htm and have a gander.

You might try plugging the case vent & venting the rocker boxes, running the lines to a manifold W/an outlet only check valve in the vent line.
It's not going to act like a pump as a single or opposed twin would, but blow-by pressure should eventually force oil past the rear main bearing/cams then through the pushrod tubes to the rocker assemblies.

Just a idea I would throw out there. It would be easily reversible if it didn't work.

4 1/2 HP is about what the Rotomotor FS-85 makes & it flies the Wurger W/autority as evedenced by the film clip above. A reliable ASP FS400R5 should be a suitable powerplant, especially if converted to CDI W/glow fuel.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Ramstein44

Touch'n'go?

More like mowing grass [X(]

LoL

I'm finishing my Holman FW190D9 and will continue on my Dave Platt FW190A. After this, I see a Meister-scale kit in the works.
Seriously - how many of these FW190's have you got, Ram?

Sounds like quite a few

I normally buy the kits and ARF's as they're released so I have a few built, flying and waiting. If I like them a lot, I'll keep them but I've sold several.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Ramstein44

ORIGINAL: sharam

What are you guys using for wheels? The foam wheels that came with the kit are pretty flimsy on pavement.

I am not sure I want to spend the money on the Vogelsang set for this plane!
I used the Williams brothers wheels 14500.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html
Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Ram! I will order those.

Chris Nicastro, thank you for your as well.

BTW, my FW-190 was out patrolling the skies over Castle AFB this past weekend. Beautiful flight! I love this plane.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

BJ

It's not as serious As it looks. The initial ''surgery'' isn't as serious as the ''plastic surguery'' that will be needed to extend the nose 1 3/16''. My main concern is extending the gun hood & making it look ''seamless''.

Yes the cooling vents are fiberglass & I'm going to try making inside/outside patterns out of steel filled epoxy to make a stamping die to make 2 replacement panels out of .020'' aluminum.

I'll let you know how it works out because this could come in handy for your ASP FS400R5 application.

Another somewhat difficult task will be boxing in the back side of the chamber behind the vent panel. I've decided to cut out the whole panel later this afternoon after a thorough ''hanger'' cleaning. I need as much cooling as I can get so making the vents functional seems like a great option to avoid large holes in the cowl.

I like your idea of a custom collector ring & I'm thinking along those lines myself for the FA450R3D. W/the through the case induction & CDI I'll be able to drop oil content way down to the 10% or less level.

Speaking of CDI. Have you contacted C&H yet? He has a prototype module for 5-cylinder radials & he has tested it on an ASP FS400R5.
How about using these? They have different sizes. Night be easier and look better. Nice product, I just bought some. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-louv...item3f23589162
Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 PM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ram,

Sent you a PM.... I had a little issue with my Holman A8 on the landing today.... Pics to follow.

Casey
Old 05-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Ramstein44

Hey Casey,

Got it.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM
glazier808

Good talking with ya Charles, we'll work it out I'm sure,
I'll call Bob tomorrow, I need your address too, can you PM or email it to me please?

I tried to upload the pics but getting the error 500 at the moment

Casey
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM
glazier808

Have you Luft lovers seen this?

http://www.v1-reichenberg.com/videos_d.html
I gotta have one!

Casey
Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Ramstein44

Now that is cool. I'll add that to my list..
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 PM
glazier808

I've emailed them, so I'll share any information I get.

Casey
Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

How about using these? They have different sizes. Night be easier and look better. Nice product, I just bought some. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-louv...item3f23589162
Already have a link to a source for these in my "favorites".

I was planning on using a pair of them on the bottom of the cowl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.