Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1-6th Scale V-22 Osprey Prototype Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1-6th Scale V-22 Osprey Prototype Build

Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1-6th Scale V-22 Osprey Prototype Build

Hey guys been a while since I did a build thread since most of my builds have been full scale and really large statics not really for posting unless it flies hehe.

Well Ispent a year in phoenix doing some full scale stuff for Jaime at Arizona Models and working with him to get his stuff turned around and one the things doing is i am designing several WWII japanese and prob some italian planes for him since noone seems to do any decent ones.

Well this one is a V-22 Osprey I will be prototyping and making a fiberglass mold for the fuse.

The plans were commissioned to Charles Loud to design so these are from his plans.

I am putting it together in solidworks so that Ican better undertstand how it goes together as there are literally hundreds of parts to it.

So as Igo Iwill do a no holds barred review of the entire thing. Now remember this is just my opinion but with 35 plus years of doing this and doing a lot of mods of plans to reduce weight Iknow what works and how Ican reduce weight and not lose strength.

I have several 1/3 scale WWI designs built by the UK dawn patrol team and most come in the 35 lb range where similar planes ppl building here come abt 10 lbs more thats a big weight savings. the old addage add more wood to make it stronger doesnt work it makes it more regid and less forgiving which makes things break easier plus gives bad flight characteristics. so Iwill probably do some moderate changes as I go but will get into that as Imake them so as not to get ahead of myself.

Joe
The following 2 users liked this post by ProfLooney:
dexgeo (04-13-2022), lotsig (06-13-2022)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:54 AM
ProfLooney

Default RE: 1-6th Scale V-22 Osprey Prototype Build

Here is a Pic of the Plane/copter

Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 AM
ProfLooney

Ok lets start this with the plans heres a couple screenshots of the plans I was given.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 AM
ProfLooney

Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 AM
ProfLooney

Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 AM
ProfLooney

Ok now my personal review of the plans as were originally drawn by Charles.

1: the plans came as 17 sheets showing various drawings and parts sheets.

2: the plans are all 1/2 size meaning everything has to be enlarged 200% just to be able to cut out parts and the plansheets arent large enough to build on top of.

Note: I discussed this with charles and asked abt the reason for this.

1: he told me his plane comes together by itself so that you do not need to build on top of the plans because it jigs itself into place and that people dont want to lay out a 98" peice of paper on a building board to build on top of.

a: I still prefer the plans under me to be sure it is building correctly plus it is so much easier to glance down and see what part goes where plus any notes.

b: People build on top of plans all the time. 90% of the designs out there you roll out the plans and build on top of so yes people will want to roll out plans and build on top of.

2: I asked him how people are supposed to cut out parts to build from if they are half size how are they supposed to cut them out. I was told they just buy the kit. well most people cant afford to spend $1200 or more to buy a kit especially in these economic times. if they were full size then people that prefer to hand cut their own parts can. (not that with these hundreds of parts I would lol) so in my opinion if someone has plans and only offers precut kits with half sized plans he is losing a lot of money on plans sales because the plans will add up a lot faster than the number of kits sold at plus 1K kit costs.

End of Note

3: the plans are very busy and hard to read. there are all kinds of colors for all the different types of wood. this is ok but then there are silvers in there for lines which makes it very hard to see .

4: there are all kinds of what I consider design lines on the plans that I feel should have been removed because they are unnecessary to build the plane from and would make the plans much neater and easier to read.

a: all the red lines seem to be centerlines and lines running across the various parts showing notches etc all line up, plus various other lines that are used in designing but not in construction. if those were cleaned up it would make things easier to read somewhat.

b: I would add a seperate sheet for the fuse and the wing with everything removed but the former and rib locations so that the builder can easily at a glance see where things go for framing up the items and then they can use the super detailed sheets for adding the other stuff

c: There are also lines upon other lines as these were done in layers so you may have 4 or 5 lines stacked on top of each other. From a designer point of view I would have personally cleaned all them up. if they all share the same line on a particular view then there is no real need to have stacks of lines. (personal opinion)

That was the Negatives Now the Positives

1: the plans are cad drawn so you know immediately everything is going to be pretty accurate for fitting.

2: the colored plans also make for ease of reading and with todays printers you can even make certain parts a solid color for ease in reading at a glance.

3: though a detrement to readability for framing as mentioned above, the details of the plans are very well documented and even list part numbers etc for various vendor bought parts. (like I mentioned above a couple extra cleaned up pages would make the plans wow factor)

4: snap lock construction. it makes the plane easy and fast to assemble.

5: as an example the wing sheet it shows some parts on it and the details on those parts. Later in the plans there is a seperate cleaned up part sheet which is like Imentioned abt the framing sheets and it shows all the parts cleaned up for cutting out.

6: and finally each sheet is payed out for the specific area example the wing sheet only has wing stuff on it the fuse sheet only fise stuff. this makes navigating the plans for detail info etc very easy as you can just goto the wing page and all the wing info is there on that page and you dont have to sift through fuse or tail stuff on a wing page.

Ok that is my general overview of the plans and as the build progresses I will note various pros and cons.

I also want to reiterate that these are my own personal opinions and that I am not praising or trashing any design I review I just state what I personally notice and it is up to you whether you agree or disagree with my review as everyone has their personal preferences. That is why I posted the main sheets so that as you go through my review you can look at them and judge for yourself whether I am correct or not.

The following users liked this post:
dexgeo (04-13-2022)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 AM
ProfLooney

I am adding all the formers today but here is the start of the crutch system

Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 AM
ProfLooney

the one thing on the plans I disagree with and am changing for the prototype build is that a ton of the parts are 1/4 ply.

there is nothing in this plane other than the LG area and maybe around the nacelle area that needs anything larger than 1-8th lite ply. I was told weight was guessed at 65 lbs. well the electric motors listed wouldnt even be able to lift this thing off the ground.

I am hoping to cut the weight down to round the 40-45 lb range.

since the fuse interlocks plus has 1/4" balsa stringers this thing will be solid as a rock without all the added weight of all that 1/4 ply and as I go along I may find parts that can easily be eliminated to save even more weight.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM
ProfLooney

Well I got the nose set together I see a few tweaks need to make. its taking longer than i wished because the files were drawn in autocad so each part has a million nodes to them and if they were sent to the laser as is it would take a week to cut just the formers so I am redoing them in solidworks as I go. 7 down 20 to go

dexgeo (04-13-2022)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
ProfLooney

well had huge storms all day here at least 2 inches of rain they say so far. lost power for 6 hrs so back at it finally. here is some screenshots of where I am at now

Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM
ProfLooney

Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 AM
SHANEC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Work! Ill be intrested in a full size set of plans when completed! Will there be a all wood option without fiberglass fuse?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 AM
ProfLooney

I am assuming there will be as these arent my plans I am just prototype building it
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 AM
ProfLooney

ok hope everyone had a nice Memorial day yest.

I have Most the formers finished I have 5 to go then to adjust the floors and add a few more once that is done I will have some not so cluttered shots

Old 05-29-2013, 04:07 AM
ProfLooney

Well I am getting closer to finished with the fuse. there are a lot of little errors in the parts and I am fixing them as I go so things are going slower than expected. I hope to be finished with fuse the next 2 days and onto the wing  and tail and hopefully in the next couple weeks I can send off for the kit. however until I get it all fixed it would be a waste to get a kit now as a lot of notches etc dont line up properly.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

This is the coolest thing I've seen on this fourm in ages!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 AM
ProfLooney

lol thanks but it is also the biggest headache for me trying to figure out these plans plus all the fixing up have to do to them mainly in the ceiling and floor stuff none of the notches and tabs are lining up.  of course that happens when plans drawn in 2d and now with 3D Cad so easy to use i get spoiled forgetting how much modding i used to have to do to my plans back in the day

Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill be interested to how you do the tilt mechanism for the rotor nacelles
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
ProfLooney

it its hard to see on his plan because it is so busy but it uses a series of torque rods and universal joints

Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
kahloq

Are you going to be getting this project far enough to show that on the prototype?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM
ProfLooney

yea the prototype will be fully built I will also be showing it and manipulating it in solidworks too

Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
ProfLooney

BTW after a short break to do something for another client I am back on it and working the rear fuse area now then will start either the wing or tail dunno which yet

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
ProfLooney

it is made from 1/8th ply i am weighting to get the stats to plug into the prog but the fuse weighs 3.5 lbs if it was all balsa
Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

WOW! I'll have my squad of G.I. Joes all geared up and ready to go out on a mission when this thing is built.
lotsig (01-19-2023)
Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM
ProfLooney

taking break from the fuse going to start the wing tonight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.