Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My caldera 10e top speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Eg-r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My caldera 10e top speed

I've been having many problems with my caldera and I finally got the chance to get it running with no problems
at the moment. I was able to GPS my rc using my iPhone. I've got a top speed of 48mph on a couple try's. I'm running 3a lipo with brushless hobbie 120a esc, tacon 9650 motor and 15t pinion gear. I'm still running the stock 508 program from the esc. I've been having problems not be able to connect to my laptop. Maybe if I can get it to reprogram and try other difference modes. I've try everything on the manual and can't get it to connect . I've even try and different laptop and still nothing. Anybody eles GPS their caldera?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: My caldera 10e top speed

ORIGINAL: Eg-r

I've been having many problems with my caldera and I finally got the chance to get it running with no problems
at the moment. I was able to GPS my rc using my iPhone. I've got a top speed of 48mph on a couple try's. I'm running 3a lipo with brushless hobbie 120a esc, tacon 9650 motor and 15t pinion gear. I'm still running the stock 508 program from the esc. I've been having problems not be able to connect to my laptop. Maybe if I can get it to reprogram and try other difference modes. I've try everything on the manual and can't get it to connect . I've even try and different laptop and still nothing. Anybody eles GPS their caldera?
your speed is respectable.
did you get a temp reading on the ESC/motor? I suspect you could gear it up some. as long as motor temps dont exceed 160.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Eg-r

No, I don't have a temp gun to check. I was able to use the entire 3s battery and at that point I couldn't put my finger on the motor cause it was soo hot. I forgot to time how long the battery last, but maybe around 30-45min.  It's too tight on the esc so there no way I was able to touch that. What other type of gears can I do for upgrades?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

No, I don't have a temp gun to check. I was able to use the entire 3s battery and at that point I couldn't put my finger on the motor cause it was soo hot. I forgot to time how long the battery last, but maybe around 30-45min. It's too tight on the esc so there no way I was able to touch that. What other type of gears can I do for upgrades?
finger test doesnt cut it for figuring out what is top gearing. anything over 130 is too hot to keep you finger on, yet that motor can run 160 without damage. I have run a motor upto 190 without damage. 160 is a safe range. I like to keep the ESC alittle cooler...140ish.

Im not sure how big of a pinion gear you can fit on the caldera. but when it comes to gearing up, 2 teeth can make the difference of 2-5mph.
but dont gear up untill you know how hot your ESC/motor are running now.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Eg-r

Anyone has experience with brushless hobbie lt4 esc? I can't get mine to connect. I'm running window 7 on my computer and only got to connection once. Now I can't change my bad adjustment tune that I was testing.  It there any way to program it back to the stock 508 program
 Manually with the esc?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Eshore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my vidhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bcUD1i-ESQwww.youtube.com/watchwith mine reaching speeds around 54mph on a 20T pinion on 3s lipo.

I've now run a 21T pinion with 2s lipo around 47-49mph and above 55mph on 3s.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Eshore

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

did you get a temp reading on the ESC/motor? I suspect you could gear it up some. as long as motor temps dont exceed 160.
Thanks to Nitrosport, I've got mine running those blazing speeds with a Volcano EPX pro ESC & a 3300kv motor.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Eshore

Thanks to Nitrosport, I've got mine running those blazing speeds with a Volcano EPX pro ESC & a 3300kv motor.

glad to hear you got the speed you wanted.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Eshore

ORIGINAL: Eshore

glad to hear you got the speed you wanted.
Hey man I tried that 21T pinion and with just 2s lipo it will move. Its nice for hard dirt or low grass, and heat is still managable.