Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kwik Fli III on gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kwik Fli III on gas?

I have a vintage build, Kwik fly 3 currently using a period correct .60. However, the 40 year old finish is really taking a beating from the glow slime. I was wondering if the new Evolution 10GX or 15GX would be a sensible gasoline powerplant for this model, or would it lose all its nice flying qualities? I also have an old Bridi Trainer 60 that looks like a good candidate for one of these engines as well. Anyone else gone this route for their vintage plane?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Kwik Fli III on gas?

I recently finished building an Aeromaster and decided to try the 10gx. I had a number of issues with the setup (not the engines fault) I have many classic pattern planes and I would rather have a glow engine in all of them. Remember you need a place for the ignition box and battery and thats the biggest issue. You cant put the ignition box in the receiver area. If its slime you want to get away from the slime is greater with this gas engine. I gave up and removed the engine and installed a OS 55AX (not as strong as the gasser) I'm getting one of my old OS 60 SR engines ready to install and thats the way I will leave it untile I get bugs out of system. Oh, the stock muffler sucks so you will need to replace it. and use Hi-temp tubing to connect to the pressure tap on the muffler. If you have a fuse deep enough to get the Ignition box into go for it. If you try the engine put it into the trainer first and get it broken in, start with 10X6 prop. The engine makes good power after break in thats not a problem.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expect that we will eventually overcome the size and heft problems presented by our current ignition systems. Who could have guessed that we could shrink battery packs so much in so little time? I don't know how we will overcome spark arcing inside of the ignition box with our current dielectric materials as we move electronic components ever closer together. Perhaps the next needed material is being developed as we speak?

Ed Cregger
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Trisquire

I would think that the savings in fuel costs would be a benefit.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As do I.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 AM
RonMcCormick

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

I would think that the savings in fuel costs would be a benefit.
A HUGE benefit! I could not afford to fly as much as I do if I had to use glow fuel. I have 111cc, 55cc and 20cc DLE engines and I fly a lot I have a 4 year old 55cc ExtremeFlight Extra with over 100 gallons through it. All of my smaller planes are classics with .60 glow engines, I was thinking I would change them to gas when I bought the 10GX. I no longer think it is worth it. Just my opinion.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: RonMcCormick
...........All of my smaller planes are classics with .60 glow engines, I was thinking I would change them to gas when I bought the 10GX. I no longer think it is worth it. Just my opinion.
Thanks Ron. And that's primarily because you couldn't find a suitable place to locate the ignition box and battery?

Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 PM
RonMcCormick

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

ORIGINAL: RonMcCormick
...........All of my smaller planes are classics with .60 glow engines, I was thinking I would change them to gas when I bought the 10GX. I no longer think it is worth it. Just my opinion.
Thanks Ron. And that's primarily because you couldn't find a suitable place to locate the ignition box and battery?

Remember I'm talking about pattern planes, sport or trainers where you can fit a 6oz tank, battery and ignition box up front where normally you would put a 12 or 14oz tank this engine will work ok. the motor makes good power in my aeromaster bipe with a vess 12X7 prop it was to fast and vertical out of site, weight 7.5#.What I mean by "not worth it" is if you replace a glow engine you fly a lot the difference in the price of fuel will make it worth it. I just take my classic planes out 8 or 9 times a year $200.00 for the engine I could have had 10 gallons of fuel. But there are lots of other things to consider. I think what i'm saying is don't let me talk you out of it I'm just giving my experience for your information. Hope I'm not confusing you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45698.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1887408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15194.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1887409  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 AM
Trisquire

Thanks Ron. I understand know. Nice Aeromaster.