Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

REmembering Stinger Wallace and his P-38

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

REmembering Stinger Wallace and his P-38

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default REmembering Stinger Wallace and his P-38

For those of you that know the story of the passing of Stinger Wallace, it is a sad one. I picked up his old CBA P-38 from his estate several years ago. It was done up in the Silver/Blue Margaret/Virginia-Marie. Much like a full scale Warbird, I got it and began to strip and repaint it in OD/Gray w/ invasion stripes. I got the panels and center section all re-furbed and painted, and then it changed hands, locally, a few times. I got it back a week ago and have progressed on it to the point that it is all re-painted. I selected the scheme "Piss Pot Pete" flown by Don Bellows, but I did add invasion stripes because they just look awesome on a P-38. I need to get motors (G-62 w/ Mezjlik 22x10 3 blades) mounted, fuel tanks in and instal a receiver and set it up. Graphics are on the way from Callie Graphics. I hope to get it flown in the next 2-3 weeks. The CBA P-38 is a 120 inch span, and right at 50 pounds. And, while it does have an UN-SCALE hortizontal stad, it looks good and they fly nice from the ones I have seen.

I will figure out the CG, but if anyone has CBA's info on the CG, that would be nice information.

I will post some pictures and we will see how the maiden goes.

JEff
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: REmembering Stinger Wallace and his P-38

Jeff:

Sounds like a great plane!

Let us know when you might fly it. That's the sort of thing might be worth a drive for me to watch.

As you may know, I bought a CBA P-38 from Tim Johnson 8? years ago, flew it a few times, but kinda got intimidated by it's man-hole cover glide-slope characteristics. It's all fixed up from it's last "man-hole cover landing" now, but been sitting in my shop for more than 3 years. I'm sure you can handle it. Just don't let it slow down on landing. It won't float, and it doesn't acknowledge ground effect!

I stayed near constantly confused about CG. I actually talked to the builder of the plane coupla times (maker of CBA's....can't remember his name) and he told me 7.5" behind the LE at the fuse, but that didn't make a lot of sense when I measured and weighed it, so I left it where Tim had it. Could be the reason for it's glide-slope character, but doesn't seem like it.

I've got reverse-rotating DA-50's in mine. Wish I had G-62's

I think my WS is 126" and I only have inboard flaps

Pictures?

Mark
Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM
kram

Post some pictures if you got 'em

It's a very impressive bird
Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look forward to seeing pics Jeff.

I met Stinger in 04 at Bomber Field.

Sad day upon his passing when it happened
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 AM
F4u5

Hey Mark.....Thanks for the CG info, You are correct, it is actually a 126 inch span. I will take that CG info into consideration. 7.5 inch at the fuse may be close if taken from the M.A.C. I flew a CBA way back in 2001, I think it was. I got a few flights on it, but then I sold it cuz I figured I should try to get some money out of it before I killed it. But, I bought it RTF, and never paid attention the the CG. It seemed to fly very nice and I remember beaing able to flare it in nicely. We will see how this one goes. I plan to get the second motor mounted this weekend, and I will post some pictures of it. If you have your twin fly-in again this year, I plan to bring the He-111. When is it?

Now, wouldn't you know it, last night I was doing some weathering on the center section, and bang, I bumped it and knocked it off my stand, right on to my driveway[:@]. Luckily it landed on the edge top corner of the rib shelf. Knocked off some paint and cracked some glass near the edge. Had to CA, repair and in the process of touching up the paint. Isn't that how it always goes.

This will be my 7th P-38. I only flew 3 previous. A yellow that dies on flight #1 when it shed a prop. A CBA with about 4 flights on it that I sold, and a Ziroli with about a dozen flights that I sold. Too scared to fly the other 3 back in the early days..

JQ
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
kram

Yeah, I hate to recite the litany of P-38's that I have owned.

If you fly one enough, eventually it will go down, although I suppose you could say the same of any plane.

YES! We would love to have you for our Ames Multi-Fly, which is Sept 7 this year.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 AM
F4u5

OK, she is all re-painted and graphics on. I am in the process of mounting the twin G-62 motors. I will leave gear doors off for now. If the plane survives, I will fix and mount them.

True that Mark....I figure this P-38 will fly (or die...eventually). But, i plan to be the ione to fly it to its death. I do not plan to ever sell this one again. I will be in Ames with one of my twins...the summer results will likely dictate which one I come with!

Jeff
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 AM
wildbills21

Jeff,
Any chance you could post a picture of this beauty. Look forward to seeing you out and about this summer.
Wild Bill
Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 AM
F4u5

Yep, I'll get some pictures tonight. I left my camera at work this last weekend, and I don;t have a fancy I-type fone[8D]
Jeff
Old 05-28-2013, 06:31 PM
F4u5

OK here is a picture of the front office. This is going to be a knock around airplane. I heavily weathered it, and I am no good at weathering, but here is the result. Painted with Krylon flat OD and Primer gray. A picture of one of the booms, which must remain in the stand until I get the engines hooked up. I still need to weather the booms. Callie Graphics of Don Bellows "Piss Pot Pete". Again, I took liberties with the paint scheme for just something I liked.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96925.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1886600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14988.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1886601  
Old 05-29-2013, 03:08 PM
wildbills21

Jeff,

I see in the background a Kate, was that Sir Carls.

Wild Bill
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM
F4u5

ORIGINAL: wildbills21

Jeff,

I see in the background a Kate, was that Sir Carls.

Wild Bill
It was indeed...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 PM
wildbills21

Jeff,

I'm jealous, I always loved that plane.

Wild Bill
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 AM
F4u5

'Tis a beauty, and flies like a big trainer. Carl knows how to build them...and light!

JQ
Old 05-30-2013, 06:33 AM
wildbills21

Jeff,

Any chance your going to bring it to Fondy, if so I'll trade you some stick time on the new Alby for the Kate. Nothing happened to the first one, this is the second one built.

Wild Bill
Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 AM
F4u5

Yes Bill, I will likely bring it to Fondy....make Carl jeer at selling it. You can sure have some stick time.

JQ