Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RCU Policy Proposal

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RCU Policy Proposal

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU Policy Proposal

I personally use my first name only. I feel that there are too many "Nut Jobs" out there (not saying that anyone here fits that description), and I don't want to put my full name and Location on the web for all to see.. I know that it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to figure out my full name and address, but why make it too easy.. If I want someone to have my full name and location, I will give it out on an individual basis. Just my Opinion tho!

Craig.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeaJay

I personally use my first name only, I feel that there are too many "Nut Jobs" out there (not saying that anyone here fits that description), and I don't want to put my full name and Location on the web for all to see.. I know that it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to figure out my full name and address, but why make it too easy.. If I want someone to have my full name and location, I will give it out on an individual basis. Just my Opinion tho!
Craig.
I agree .
Semper Fi
Joe

dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My name is Marty McGee.
[email protected]
My Feedback: (34)

There's no way I'm using my name here. No way I say....
Ain't gonna happen, no sir e Bob...

Phil Griffin
Birmingham, Alabama...
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (34)

And that was a joke my friends...
Heck, y'all can even have my email addy as an added bonus. I think real names would be good, but I really have no problems with the handles either. Some of them are pretty entertaining.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think adding them to the signature line would be a good idea.
Scott
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Area51.5

I personally like your handle, wish I had thought of it first!!

Craig.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Now here’s an original thought all you have to do is use the name, email and/address of someone you hate and do a couple of real bad deals on here so that someone goes looking for them with vengeance in their heart.

Like I ask people why they allow strangers or that brother in law who can’t stand you to lock themselves in your most private room, your bathroom with all your personal hygiene stuff. That brother in law you can’t stand just might be dancing about in there with your toothbrush in his butt crack.

Real names or a handle it really doesn’t mater much. I’ve used Propworn for years long before the net when we were communicating modem to modem. If you want to know my name during a private sale there is no problem I’ll even give you my cell or home phone. I won’t just throw out personal information on the web to many dick wads out there for that.

Dennis
Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 PM
warbird addict

The only problem I see with posting your real name is that in a lot of cases your city and state is also information thats there for every would be criminal to see and leaves you open to coming home and finding your stuff not there when you get home or worse, granted we are all reasonably comfortable with each other but cannot control who sees what from outside this community. In my case with an oddball real name and living in a very small community and being listed in the phone book it would be a snap for anybody to use the white pages, name , city and state and help themselves to everything I own, I am also a victim of identity theft even as cautious as I have been with regard to divulging personal information, not storing personal info even on my own computer or cloud drives etc. Just saying be damned careful I
ve read stories on here about guys coming home to find entire trailers full of planes gone without even the slightest idea who may have done it, be careful what you post in the way of personal info not everybody is honest, I'm even careful about saying too much to people I meet at flying events until I know them alot better !!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ianober

It seems to be running rampant though Andy. Its not hard to see them either, usually under 20 posts and stirring the pot in a lot of threads. Is it normal practice for Mods to see this and investigate or does someone have to file a formal complaint?
I can assure you that we Mods have a well developed ' spidey sense ' when it comes to seeing posting activity that is outside the normal range and pattern. But before we ban someone we have to be pretty sure that they are something other than genuine. We do get long time lurkers who see something that incenses them and they finally register to vent their feelings on a topic with a barrage of posts which, of course, is also the behavior of a troll / shill ac.

Some of our repeat offenders have got to be fairly adept at concealing their tracks when registering and it makes it hard to track them down but rest assured we do try.

Please carry on reporting any poster that raises your suspicions. We mods do not read every post of every thread.

Although some of us have had to read EVERY POST ON EVERY FEJ THREAD and it is getting really really old.

Re using your name as your handle I always have on this forum but as a college lecturer with a substantial internet footprint going back as far as JANET there were many times I had good reason to make sure my handle could not identify me and would 'spoof' my IP address and email address / location as a matter of course. So I think it unlikely that we would ever ask people to use their names on the forums.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Yes. A lot more people read here than post. But sometimes, after a long time, you just want to get some things off your chest. And then the "regulars" here, some of whom think they are big wheels in the jet world because they post here so much, all of the sudden act like you are violating their personal feifdom. I don't see a lot of the actual big wheels in the real world posting here much, and Itotally understand why. But some of these people act like their opinion is gospel simply because they have 8000 posts, and anybody who does not does not have a real opinion.
ORIGINAL: j.duncker

It seems to be running rampant though Andy. Its not hard to see them either, usually under 20 posts and stirring the pot in a lot of threads. Is it normal practice for Mods to see this and investigate or does someone have to file a formal complaint?
I can assure you that we Mods have a well developed ' spidey sense ' when it comes to seeing posting activity that is outside the normal range and pattern. But before we ban someone we have to be pretty sure that they are something other than genuine. We do get long time lurkers who see something that incenses them and they finally register to vent their feelings on a topic with a barrage of posts which, of course, is also the behavior of a troll / shill ac.

Some of our repeat offenders have got to be fairly adept at concealing their tracks when registering and it makes it hard to track them down but rest assured we do try.

Please carry on reporting any poster that raises your suspicions. We mods do not read every post of every thread.

Although some of us have had to read EVERY POST ON EVERY FEJ THREAD and it is getting really really old.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty easy to set up a sling IP addy and hide under a dead cockroach carcass on line these days, as far as IP address tracking goes. It's very common.

For most to take someone's posts seriously when emotions are high, there needs to be at least two things: 1) a history of reasonably well thought out contributions, or 2) a knowledge that the person is really a person who has no deep hidden agendas and are posting genuinely (not a troll).

As far a names being required, it is a basic fact that people who choose to hide from accountability tend to also act in an anti-social way. But like others have mentioned, I don't want psychos calling us up either because we don't use the same toy airplane component they are fixated with, for example, by giving out everything as far as contact info. I think first names would be nice in a signature line, or whatever. But I doubt it needs to be a new rule. A troll account will just make up a name or a fancy alias, as already has been done.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

What are you saying guys, I use my full name given by my mama and dada on my birthday, OK I have to confest I added the II to remenber a brother that I never had a changce meet [&o]

CARS II, now if you want me to decode that you have to contact me personally

Funny thing is that I have used this name since I was 14 years old, I even use it at work every day and left it carved on a tree at my old High School ( ouch [:@] )
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

ORIGINAL: SeaJay

I personally use my first name only, I feel that there are too many ''Nut Jobs'' out there (not saying that anyone here fits that description), and I don't want to put my full name and Location on the web for all to see.. I know that it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to figure out my full name and address, but why make it too easy.. If I want someone to have my full name and location, I will give it out on an individual basis. Just my Opinion tho!
Craig.
I agree .
Semper Fi
Joe

+2
Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

ever had YOUR identity stolen?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes, I had mine stolen like two years ago, pain in the @?"@, I spended three months trying to close all those accounts they open under my name, they open one I closed it the very next day ( three months of that every day )

Not fun at all [:@]
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David & Scott,

You got me. I didn't use my name in the post. Dang.

My name is Shaun Evans, and most guys on here know that. It's been on record for more than a decade. Both of you guys know it, so I'm not sure why you find it funny....
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually for law abiding AMA members it is quite easy to figure out who the legitimate Jet guys are if they list there real home towns...

http://modelaircraft.org/MembersOnly/pdf/510-M.pdf

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Mod's take action if they see it in the course of normal forum surfing, otherwise its brought to our attention by users reporting the posts.

As a moderator, I dont cruise the forums looking for posts to can, I'm just a volunteer that helps out in that regard, if I see something in a thread I'm reading or get a ticket in the areas I'm responsible for, then I take action. Even in the heli area, I don't read every thread, just the ones that interest me or that I might be able to help someone with an issue with their heli (or any of the other areas I participate in such as this one, as a user)

Makes sense Andy, thanks for volunteering your time to adult day care!! Honestly, its much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Area51.5

I was attacked as soon as i joined last week about this, in my opinion my name is none of anyones business. After three times of id theft over the past 10 years I no longer give real names [:'(]. I can see peoples point however about people trolling but this is something that will always be a problem on the internet. RCU could use some type of IP blocker or something, I have seen some websites that have managed to stop more than one account this way.

Its a question of credibility Area51.5 (or whoever you are). You are missing the point. This thread is about people starting new RCU accounts under fake names so that they can troll and harass others because they don't agree with their point of view. Now you may not be a troll or harassing anyone else but you sure don't have any credibility with anonymity. So when you post something and others question you, don't be surprised. Besides, what do you have to hide? You work for the CIA? Black listed? Rogue Agent?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Actually for law abiding AMA members it is quite easy to figure out who the legitimate Jet guys are if they list there real home towns...

http://modelaircraft.org/MembersOnly/pdf/510-M.pdf

Good Point! Bottom line is RCU has already stated that they have no intention of forcing folks to use their real names so the "RCU Policy Porposal" seems a little moot right now. But if I owned RCU, I would practically do anything Shaun asked, if Shaun would get rid of that gawd awful avatar of his.. LOL.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Shaun,

I think it's funny your'e complaining about someone not saying who they are and you have a screen name, and failed to sign your name to the post......

David Reid
Touche'

Bob Burrill
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

David & Scott,

You got me. I didn't use my name in the post. Dang.

My name is Shaun Evans, and most guys on here know that. It's been on record for more than a decade. Both of you guys know it, so I'm not sure why you find it funny....

Shaun,

There are several people that have been online in the "jet forums" since the old jet list days most of those guys know who you/we are and you/me/we have identified ourselves numerous times over the years. I think it is so easy to hide behind the online "handle" and be an @$$ some of us just use our real names and do the same thing......

DR
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Makes sense Andy, thanks for volunteering your time to adult day care!! Honestly, its much appreciated.
Thanks, my time as a hockey ref for 8 and 10 year olds helped a lot
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW, that takes me back a bit, you forgot to include the days of the Compuserve list and the AOL Rooms in there yeah most of the regulars have identified themselves plenty of times.

Ralph

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Shaun,

There are several people that have been online in the ''jet forums'' since the old jet list days most of those guys know who you/we are and you/me/we have identified ourselves numerous times over the years. I think it is so easy to hide behind the online ''handle'' and be an @$$ some of us just use our real names and do the same thing......

DR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.