Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

2 stroke supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke supercharger

Hey guys,long time no seen....By the title i assume you locked and loaded your flamethrowers and came in for another "noob post"....Well,it aint like that....I know all the supercharger thing not working on a 2 stroke because the inlet port and the exhaust port are open at the same time yada yada yada.....But,i came across this and you guys need to see it just for the hell of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CPyeqZFORTk
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2 stroke supercharger

I sure would like to see one on a dyno...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Giorgos_cupra

I really doubt that will happen....If it goes on a dyno i believe it will produce less hp,depending on the drag the sc puts on the "clutch"
Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 AM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

The only way I see that working is with a reed system installed to keep the gases in on the intake side. I have no use for it since I run a reed case and its doesnt seem to be designed for that. One thing that I noticed is that those bajas on the videos seem to run as good as a baja with half decent motor and those are not stock motors. In the one with the onboard video, It has a red sparkplug boot. Give me a test with before and after on stock motors. Or better yet, get some team drivers or Beta testers that can back up the claims. I for one would love to test it for them.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 AM
supertib

you can supercharge and turbocharge 2 strokes..... doesn't need to be reed induction, regular old piston port works just fine........ we have been doing it for 2 decades now with snowmobiles......
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Giorgos_cupra

ORIGINAL: GT100

The only way I see that working is with a reed system installed to keep the gases in on the intake side. I have no use for it since I run a reed case and its doesnt seem to be designed for that. One thing that I noticed is that those bajas on the videos seem to run as good as a baja with half decent motor and those are not stock motors. In the one with the onboard video, It has a red sparkplug boot. Give me a test with before and after on stock motors. Or better yet, get some team drivers or Beta testers that can back up the claims. I for one would love to test it for them.
For reference only,my stock's zenoah g270rc sparkplug boot is red.The boot has nothing to do with stock motors or not

On a further notice,i dont know if you can supercharge a 2 stroke or not.All my years in forced induction scene was with 4 stroke car motors.I've seen and done nearly everything,but when it comes down to 2 strokes,i have no personal experience.I believe though it's just a gimmick and it wont,ever,give you any hp gains
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
GT100

ORIGINAL: Giorgos_cupra

For reference only,my stock's zenoah g270rc sparkplug boot is red.The boot has nothing to do with stock motors or not
My point was actually that those bajas do not have the motors that HPI put on them from factory. They're not fuelies so there's a chance that whatever is in there is modded since its not the factory stock motor.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM
GT100

ORIGINAL: supertib

you can supercharge and turbocharge 2 strokes..... doesn't need to be reed induction, regular old piston port works just fine........ we have been doing it for 2 decades now with snowmobiles......
Yes, you can super/turbocharge anything with a piston but that doesn't mean that it will work as properly as a 4 stroke with a super/turbocharger. If I recall, some snowmobile motors are from 600-900cc. That would make it almost worth trying since the piston size and amount of pistons is a lot greater.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM
mooman007uk

not going to debate blown 2 stroke piston port motors working or not, i'll just say it would make good bed felllow with an ashtray for a motorcycle
i wonder if this thing actually creates and holds any measurable boost, if so a honda gx35 4 stroke could be made to produce some decent power.... hmmmmm been wanting to tinker with a 4 stroke for a while now
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM
krakkah

It will work fine. Once that piston has gone up into the cylinder closing off the ports its all in there going up.

Yes a GX35 would be fun to play with. Would need some carby mods perhaps? Depending if its draw through or blow through.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: supertib

Yes, you can super/turbocharge anything with a piston but that doesn't mean that it will work as properly as a 4 stroke with a super/turbocharger. If I recall, some snowmobile motors are from 600-900cc. That would make it almost worth trying since the piston size and amount of pistons is a lot greater.

2 strokes can definitely hold boost.. and they do it dam well...
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say yes it possible in theory, if u can get more "air" in than what's escaping out the exhaust u will have positive crankcase pressure.

I wonder will the motor have enough power to run a compressor at that kind of efficentcy.

I'm doubtfull the current carbys will be able to meter to fuel with the intresition to positive pressure.

Sounds like a lot of stuffing around for a 30% power increase in a allready somewhat unreliable motor.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 AM
GT100

Well, as I stated before, I'd love to be their tester on this item, so if anyone from RB is reading, please contact me. I have a piston port modded zenoah on an FG that goes 85 consistently. I'd like to see what this product can get me after install.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 AM
mooman007uk

a blower on a 2 stroke that is piston ported will not make any significant boost in the combustion chamber...period...any net gain in power is because the blower acts as a scavenge pump...however by playing with pipes and stinger length/diameter enough pipe pressure can be made to hold boost in the cylinder...with power valves in the exhaust port or poppet valves in the exhaust then boost is also achievable, however you have to take into account the hp loss overdriving the impeller when considering net power gain...i know of one guy who managed it on his sled, after eons of time and money he achieved 3psi turning the impeller at 65k

so in this instance, on our basic piston port motors, i'd say, with confidence, that the blower is no more than a scavenge pump...with a net gain after driving the pump of about zero

an experiment to try...take a complete motor...rotate the crank until both ports are open...take an airline and blow air thru the carb..you can also put a compression gauge in the plug hole, make an intake mani with air coupler, blow compressed air thru the intake at about 10psiand rotate the engine and see if you can build boost in the cylinder...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM
CEN USA

OK guys, this post might get a few feathers ruffled but, here it goes.

All of you theory jockies are a true asset to the RC hobby industry. It causes companies who develope these new products to show proof of concept and test results. I believe that RB innovations has tested this product with some good results otherwies they would not have the confidence to spend the loot it takes to bring it to market. So I say RB innovations should be able to prove their product.

But, until it is proven all the theories mean very little other than building the content on these forums! I say keep the theories coming and push the manufacturers to prove what you guys say cant work will work!!

oko so this wasn't such a tough post after all!! lol

Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

a blower on a 2 stroke that is piston ported will not make any significant boost in the combustion chamber...period...any net gain in power is because the blower acts as a scavenge pump...however by playing with pipes and stinger length/diameter enough pipe pressure can be made to hold boost in the cylinder...with power valves in the exhaust port or poppet valves in the exhaust then boost is also achievable, however you have to take into account the hp loss overdriving the impeller when considering net power gain...i know of one guy who managed it on his sled, after eons of time and money he achieved 3psi turning the impeller at 65k

so in this instance, on our basic piston port motors, i'd say, with confidence, that the blower is no more than a scavenge pump...with a net gain after driving the pump of about zero

an experiment to try...take a complete motor...rotate the crank until both ports are open...take an airline and blow air thru the carb..you can also put a compression gauge in the plug hole, make an intake mani with air coupler, blow compressed air thru the intake at about 10psiand rotate the engine and see if you can build boost in the cylinder...

You dont need exhaust valves, and the boost isn't measured in the plenum with a 2 stroke.............Guys have been successfully building turbo 2 stroke sleds for 2 decades..... piston port and rotary port alike...........The resonant wave inside the tuned pipe balances out the increased intake volume and pressure..... You can more then triple the volume of atmosphere present in the chamber ..... The magic is in how a 2 stroke tuned pipe works....It is a self balancing reactive pressure system in that the more pressure we feed it, the more pressure it packs back into the combustion chamber ( relatively speaking of course ) .............
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM
GT100

Well, I do have to say. Its nice and shiny.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
badz

Well, as I stated before, I'd love to be their tester on this item, so if anyone from RB is reading, please contact me. I have a piston port modded zenoah on an FG that goes 85 consistently. I'd like to see what this product can get me after install.
I doubt they'd ever do it, even though it'd be awesome to see the results and actually trust them. I'm pretty sure though that RB Innovations made a supercharger for the small nitro engines also a few years back and those proved to be basically useless......not really going to gain any power off a piston port engine with a "supercharger" as they call it...would need to be a reed engine, every sled I've ever seen one on has reeds of course, they work pretty decent on sleds but aren't great by any means...I've seen sleds with decent port job and aftermarket pipe rip a sled up that was 200cc's larger and had a speedwerx supercharger on it with a race pipe......if it was a 4 stroke engine...now that'd be a different ballpark.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: badz

I doubt they'd ever do it, even though it'd be awesome to see the results and actually trust them. I'm pretty sure though that RB Innovations made a supercharger for the small nitro engines also a few years back and those proved to be basically useless......not really going to gain any power off a piston port engine with a ''supercharger'' as they call it...would need to be a reed engine, every sled I've ever seen one on has reeds of course, they work pretty decent on sleds but aren't great by any means...I've seen sleds with decent port job and aftermarket pipe rip a sled up that was 200cc's larger and had a speedwerx supercharger on it with a race pipe......if it was a 4 stroke engine...now that'd be a different ballpark.

You are wrong..... the reeds work against you when boosting...piston port and rotary valve are better for boosting then reed valve..................there has been hundreds of boosted sleds over the past 2 decades.......And the best ones are not reed valve........
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 AM
mooman007uk

...when the likes of yamaha, suzuki, honda, aprillia...etc etc have never released a turbo 2 stroke it should tell you something right there...

i did shoot rbinnovations an email last week asking the actual boost that this is capable of producing in psi as i was thinking of slapping one on a honda gx35...as yet no reply....

i had a nitro rb turbo ...had to try it against my better judgement...should have listen to my better judgement cos it just made it harder to tune, added weight and engine drag and ran hotter as it blocked 90% of the airflow over the motor and the impeller no doubt heated the intake charge some too...nothing like paying to lose power...lol
Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM
ttoks

turbo/supercharging a two stroke does work, is everyone completely ignorant to how a tuned pipe works? you may blow most of the extra fuel/air into the pipe yes, but the pressure wave from the pipe will push a fair bit of that back into the cylinder.

will you get boost at cranking speed, no you won't, is it possible to get usable gains at operating rpm? the sled guy's have proven it countless times in the last 20 years.

weather or not the Rb up there system actually does anything is another question, i highly doubt it, a small turbo on the stinger of a tuned pipe would be more effective i would think.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

Hey bud I don't think that test will be very usefull.
10psi limits by a 3mm outlet on a air gun is not going to flow to much at all...And even the length of the air gun will effect it.

U would need a air gun and hose that is larger than the carbys barrel.... Does such a thing exist?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 AM
phmaximus

Who wants to invest in some testing with one of these and a lipo.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRIC-...1b55ba4&_uhb=1