Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft Stingray

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
StephenUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft Stingray

Hi guys

I've recently bought a second hand Yellow models Stingray, ready to go less the turbine.

Further to a previous post, my idea was to fit a Wren 44 gold from my Boomerang Nano.

However, can anyone who's got this model tell me what motor they are using? I read online that the plane is actually designed for a JetCat P60, which clearly has quite a bit more thrust at 13lb than the Wren 44 at 10lb.

Also can anyone post a picture of their installation of the running gear? Looks like a very tight fit underneath the canopy to me.

Many thanks Stephen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82357.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1886988  
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft Stingray

I know of two guys who have flown this jet on PST600's and it hauls all the mail, 220mph-ish? Its tough to land so fly it in a wide open space, approach speeds are meteor like.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

I saw A Stingray fly a few years ago with the Wren 44. It was impressive! The guy who owned it flew it all weekend. It slowed down real nice for landing. I was so impressed I had a long talk with him. He thought the 44 was the perfect power plant. The trick was to keep it light. Mini servos. He carried 50 ounces of fuel. It was his opinion that a 60 added too much weight. Along with the extra fuel you need to carry he thought it made the plane heavy and tricky to land! IMHO the 44 should be a perfect power plant! Keep it light and fly the wings off it !!!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Yep the what they said.

They are fast, and weight is not your friend.

I would put a 44 in it... and only 32 oz of fuel. (that would still give you 5 min of flying)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The 44 gold should do well, back when the stingray was designed the P60 was a 10-12lb turbine. Look at the YA website for this plane, it calls for a 10-12 lb turbine. http://www.yellowaircraft.com/jets/stingray.htm

I am building a Stingray and I am planning to try the new K60G in it. It is a little more power and weight than the 44 but less power and weight than the P60 and also fuel draw  is in between the 44 and P60. Everything that I have read is that this a  very nose heavy aircraft, plan on air tanks in the nose and batteries in the tail. I am planning to use the rudders as additional air brakes along with the brake on the top of the fuse and the barn door on the bottom. but if you are heavy, it will have a nasty stall when you get it to slow. This is all only what I have read by reading every single thread I can find about the Stingray. Like I said, I'm still building mine. I am shooting for a dry weight of close to 10 lbs, to help landing.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one with maybe 500-700 flights on it. I don't find it particularly hard to land but I've dorked it on landing a few times. It really bites hard if you stall it however. It will flip backwards and drop like a leaf.

Personally i don't think a belly pan speed brake underneath is needed. I do however find that canting the rudders in helps landing on a calm day. You also needed to be careful on the dorsal speed brake linkage to have good mechanical leverage.

I have a p-60 on it. It is not that fast but looks fast because it is small. I also cut a couple of inches of the vertical stabs because I thought they looked funny. Did I mention it is small? Good eye test.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 PM
StephenUK

Hi all,

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated. I will put the Wren in it.

Can I ask how I go about using the rudders as air brakes?

Matt would you mind posting a picture of your running gear installation?

Thanks again

Steve

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: StephenUK

Hi all,

Thanks all for the info, much appreciated. I will put the Wren in it.

Can I ask how I go about using the rudders as air brakes?

Matt would you mind posting a picture of your running gear installation?

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve,

Here is a pic, and a link to a thread I did on some of the install back 7 years ago.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3721953

For the rudders/airbrakes, you just put them on 2 separate channels (the nosewheel will need its own channel too) and mix an air brake function on a knob or switch that pulls them in together. They are surprisingly effective with very little pitch change. I had them canting out on the Bobcat and it almost made the plane stop in air.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51511.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1887269  
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 PM
StephenUK

Thanks Matt much appreciated

Steve