Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha 2, help needed.

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha 2, help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Stian90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha 2, help needed.

Hello, i'm quite new in this RC world.

But here it goes, i was just given an Pure Ten alpha 2 from a friend. it's been sitting still and collecting dust for about 10 years.

so first off i had to clean it since every single part was covered in greasy dust and gravel.

I then wanted to take it for a spin to test it. Started up easly and when holding it off the ground it sounded mad and fast as hell, so i was excited.
However on the ground it werent really fast, i can jog faster than it.

I also noticed it was leaking nitro from around the exhaust connection area and the tires was old and poor, wasnt sure if the nitro tubes were in good shape either.

So i ordered some parts after figuring there were no exhaust manifold gasket installed on it.

I've now installed the gasket, new rims and tires also got some new nitro tubes.

I tried running it again but it's still not any faster, so maybe it's the tuning, am i correct that i should turn it all the way in and then 2.5 turn out and then try it and turn 1/8 clockwise till it im satisfied with the speed?

It has the GX-12 Engine.

Also, does anyone know off some nice bolt on springs?
Tuned pipe?

If pictures are needed let me know.

Sorry for the long post and poor english. It's my second lanuage.

Hope i can get some pointers and tips.

Cheers
Stian
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha 2, help needed.

Yes start from 2.5 turns out and then lean it gradually untill you have gone too far...then richen it a bit.
It should be going alot faster then my sprint...tuned pipes would not be a great benefit to you on this tyoe of engine...ensure the clutch and mixture is ok and go have some fun.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Stian90

Thanks for replying on my thread.

I havent been lazy so i have googeled around quite a bit.

I've checked that the pins in at the wheel hub is there, and i checked the clutch.
Also changed the plug.
Problem is i don't know how the clutch should be, it was dirty and greasy as hell so i gave it a good wipe. What diametre should it have?

Lean it till i've gone too far? is that when the exhaust dissapears?

And why wouldn't a tuned pipe work well?

Cheers
Stian
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Anthoop

You should be able to see if the clutch is worn excessively as it will not wear evenly...so will be out of round....picture here is the same as yours?- http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...lP6f4ZDtjQ.jpg

Lean it untill it either the smoke stops or the performance suffers...too far...as you lean it the performance should increase.

I am not saying a tuned pipe wont work...just that it is not going to make enough difference to bother buying a pipe just for this engine. The engine is not a power house and a tuned pipe wont make it into one.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Stian90

Thanks again for replying, you're really helping me out

Yes that is the same clutch that i have, ill have another look at it if its round or not.

I understand what you mean with the tuned pipe.

The shocks are hardly working on this car, can i replace them with these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kyosho-P...item4ac4c20397

Will a GX15 engine performe mutch better than the current GX12 ?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Anthoop

I would guess those shocks would fit but I do not know for sure....you could message the seller for some basic dimensions.

The GX.15 will have marginally better performance over the .12
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Stian90

Guess i could do that, didnt think that far. hehe.

Well today was partially a success, i finaly completed messing around with it, checking component, cleaning etc.

Went out to get the car tuned, and eventually i did, it ran pretty darn fast and sounded like a proper nitro engine.

After a 2 tanks with pure fun it started acting up, the front wheels we're locking up somehow, i then figured that my front swing shaft(drive shaft) was hopping out front wheel shafts.

So i went back home and started messing about again, checked the front diff and found out that the bevel gear is quite worn (ordering a new one) and that therese supposed to be some sort of O-ring inside those wheel shafts(where the drive shaft goes in) i guess its to keep it at the correct distance from the bottom of the wheel shaft. those o-rings in there was ruined and looked like foam, so i made some new "o-rings" from a fuel tube and got those shafts working nicly again.

Went back out to drive again and it was working really well, then the exhaust started coming loose and the engine aswell, got it tight again and after 10 seconds it came loose. after doing this a couple of times the speed adjustment screw started coming loose somehow from all the shaking, got that tightened again and now the car wont run at all. I tried tuning it back to factory setting on the adjustment screw (2 1/2 turns out) But it wont run properly, on full throtle it sort of goes up and down on the revs and dies shortly after, i tried tuning it a bit inwards and then a bit more, and ended up all the way in, and it was still running weird.

And somehow the glowplug and ignitor got wet with nitro while trying to get it started. no idea how it got wet up there.

Any tips on what to do?

(I'm really pissed since it was running so nicly before everything came loose)

Cheers
Stian
Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Anthoop

Sounds like you had some fun.
For your running problems it could be many things...need to check everything through. Plug ok and tight...exhaust not leaking...fuel lines...fuel tank...carb and backplate not leaking...head tight..etc.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Stian90

Yeah it was quite fun when i got it running properly, i felt like i was starting to get the hang of it.

Yeah i plan on having a look at the engine today if i get time for it, i noticed i was missing some screws for the pull start.

Not sure where to get suitable screws, its just for the outer cover on the pull start.

Any tips on good sites to get replacement parts for kyosho pure ten alpha? i havent really found any good sites that has a good amount of parts for a reasonable price.

Cheers
Stian
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Anthoop

I would get screws from a hardware shop....or measure the size and look on Ebay type sites (if you get stuck I will have a look to see if I have spares).
For parts, again keep your eyes on Ebay for rollers/cars/bits, I have seen a few on the UK site.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:36 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just fixed up one for a friend and it started right up.. surprisingly considering it hasn't been run in at least 10 years. Thankfully his was barely used and the clutch was fine. one thing on his was the diffs were in backwards.. couldn't move if it wanted to. He swears he didn't touch them.. LOL Same age issues you had as well. tires were shot and needed to be replaced and glued and all the fuel lines were shot. it ran at a decent clip, I would say maybe 35 ish.. a far cry from my Nitro 4tec, but for a large car like this not bad with a .12 engine. I tried the spare OS 15 he gave me and it was a bit faster. This car will never be a speedster.. Good thing Anthoop helped you out with this one as this car is foreign to me..LOL One upgrade on the one I have is all aluminum suspension. They look great but I think the arms are a bit too long, no matter how much I adjust the pivot balls, the dogbones wanted to fall out. I got it to work, but its close.. Thankfully this is not my car or I would be going crazy trying to fix it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Stian90

I did find a set of screws and some spare parts, but the shipping was quite expensive for me. Gonna keep looking around.

Cenracer, i also had trouble with the dogbones falling out, but i figured out the problem.
On the diff where the dogbone sits, in the joint theres supposed to be an oring in there also on the other side to keep the dogbone centered. If you don't understand what i mean let me know and i'll show you a picture to show what i mean.

The oring/sponge spacer has item ID AE55 if you look at it in the exploaded view you'll understand what i mean
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...p_alpha2_p.pdf
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM
cenracer1

Yeh.. I know about those as they are fairly common in cars that still run dogbones. I think the arms are for a different car than what they should be.. but who knows. I will look at it again tonight to see if maybe the o rings are not the right size. I can always substitute fuel tubing.. There is a little play in and out so we will see.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Stian90

It's probably good to have a little play on the dogbones. And yes, fuel tube worked great as orings for the dogbones.

Anyone got parts for this car? or know of suitable shocks?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:07 PM
cenracer1

unfortunately my friend didn't have any spare parts for his and thankfully he didn't need any. Whats wrong with your shocks? I would be willing to bet most of the parts are stock kyosho buggy shocks except maybe the shafts. I refilled the one I have with 60 weight oil. Shouldn't leak and wont lean too much.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Stian90

the shocks i have doesnt seem to be made for containing oil, so i'm not sure which other shocks would work/fit on this car
Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
cenracer1

are they friction shocks? They won't hold oil, but I thought tamiya was the only company cheap enough to use them. Can you post a picture of the shocks? If they are proper shocks, are they leaking? If so from where?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Stian90

When i look in the manual for the car it doesnt show that i have to apply any oil, so i think its just friction with springs.

Werent any oil in them when i got them, and if i were to try place oil in them i'm 100% sure it would pour out again.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 AM
wigelz

I have some Friction Springs i mistakenly brought! i know i am new to the site but have been reading posts for a long time.
I have a Pure Ten Alpha 3 which i have just given a mini service after buying it for a steal £20 of a friend.
I could post them out to you maybe if you like, if you cover postage. i will of course send them first before you cover it.
Picture of the Dampers i have. they have extra springs too
Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Stian90

postage shouldnt be mutch, maybe 5 gbp. How come it was a mistake?

I'm considering ordering these thought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kyosho-P...item4ac4c20397
Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 PM
wigelz

I brought as it said Pureten Alpha 2/3 but they are actually Friction Shocks for the Alpha 2. no use to me at all!
Yeh those shock W5161 are fine. they are hop ups on the original Alpha 3 ones.

If your after other parts i have found this Guy who is based in the UK has alot of parts and is worth a message if you cant find something you are looking for.
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/kyoshospares

Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Stian90

Yeah i figured those shocks will prob work nicly and they also look better imo.

What's the name of the guy? Ebay? Mail?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 PM
wigelz

i have added the link to the post sorry i forgot
Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Stian90

Yeah i've noticed that, that guy has some parts. But its easier if i find a pack of spares that i need, so i sent some emails to some dealers around in Norway hoping to get a package deal.

Also tried sending the ebay guy with the same list, ill let you know if he's cooperative
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Stian90

Getting quite limited the amount of parts avaible for this car it seems.

Just ordered some new shocks, a head gasket for the engine and a set of bearings. also got a little bunch of spares for free as long as i covered shipping

Considering getting a new on-road car. It's a HPI RS4, it's hardly used and i can get it for 90 GBP. thoughts about this car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.