Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thoughts and ideas regarding gyro on ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thoughts and ideas regarding gyro on ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts and ideas regarding gyro on ailerons

Perhaps you could have a "Y" connector coming off of the gyro. depending upon your setup you might need an electronic servo reverser plugged in between the gyro and one of the aileron servos. Im not saying that this is infact for sure the way to do it. im just kind of thinking outloud, taking a shot at it.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: turnnburn
What I am looking to accomplish primarily is to make my final approach to be more wings level and less wings rocking and rolling. Additionally this airplane tends to drop the right wing pretty hard if stalled or if too much up elevator or too rapid of elevator control is applied during flare and just prior to touchdown.
Wing rock has two main sources, either dutch rolling, or turbulence.
Dutch rolling starts as fishtailing, the high dihedral effect of such a swept wing then makes the plane roll in reaction to the yaw of the fishtailing. A gyro on ailerons will damp the rolling from side to side but won't stop the fishtailing. A gyro on rudder will damp the fishtailing which in turn will also damp the wing rocking. Highly swept wings have a high gain from yaw to roll, so often you see the wing rock much more than you can see the fishtailing that is the root of the problem.
Turbulence tends to come as random direction and strength rather than a rhythmic back and fore of dutch rolling and would need an aileron gyro to damp it.

My Trim Sabre will suddenly start to yaw and roll off line to one side if slowed too much on finals, it's a warning that it is too slow rather than a need for a gyro to try and damp out the warning! If you are getting wing drop from pulling back on the elevator, a gyro won't stop an asymmetric stall and will probably make it worse, the real cure is to learn where the critical point is and not pull back into it. If the plane is dutch rolling/wing rocking at slow but safe speeds then a rudder gyro will help a lot, an aileron gyro will improve the look but will still leave the slight fishtailing. Either way it will look and feel better.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this ugly dutch rolling on my DH110. I was of the opinion that damping the rudders would be the cure but, for some inexplicable reason I fitted a gyro to the ailerons................This has completely cured all it's problems.

http://youtu.be/n4YvrU78w78
Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 AM
lxfly

Does anyone have experience with the newer 3-axis stabilization systems for example the german gyrobot, the bavarian demon Cortex or any other ?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had an f-86D and the rudder gyro did help but did not elimiate it completely. The rudder cant correct the exact motion alone. A gyro on the ailerons would help alot if paried with one on the rudder.

My question is if you have aileons on separate channels, maybe to use crow, do you need two gyros?

Seems kinda scary to do that.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:55 AM
HoundDog

If someone needs all that crap to fly maybe they should just have some one with a little skill fly their planes or get an LECTRIC Boat.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hello I have flow the Eagle tree Guardian in several of my planes, works well.

Also trying this gyro. Our club president has already flown it in his JL F-35 3 weeks ago and it worked well
http://www.bluelight-tech.com/productsGyros.htm

I have a SM F-18C that I will try it in in a few weeks, the great thing about the
BL-3GRC (ICE-MAN) it is has 2 pitch, 2 roll, and 2 yaw inputs and outputs. You can buy it on Amazon.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: lxfly

Does anyone have experience with the newer 3-axis stabilization systems for example the german gyrobot, the bavarian demon Cortex or any other ?
yes, been using the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D but not in my jet models, some others have been using it in their jets
Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: essyou35

My question is if you have aileons on separate channels, maybe to use crow, do you need two gyros?
There are single axis gyros with two input and two output channels so that they work with elevons, crow, and any other mixing that you wish to do. For example the ACT Fuzzy Pro gyro, I use that on the elevons of a Typhoon. There are gyros with two servo outputs but just a single input, they will operate two aileron servos but will not cope with mixing such as delta or crow, you need a gyro with two separate inputs.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:10 AM
Aero65

Essyou35

I was able to use crow without issue on my guardian equipped MB339. After I installed the Guardian I just used the same programming that was there already. (it does use dual aileron inputs)

Maidened my Mig-21 with 6oz of extra lead in the tail and after a exciting take off, I just dialed up the Guardian gain and no problems. (have now removed the 6oz oops too aft cg)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FLoY3bz5i8[/youtube]

HoundDog

I used to feel like you, but when you realize that using Gyros is actually very scale as many if not all modern jet airliners, and fighters use them. It makes flying more pleasant and fun and that is what I'm after; Along with less damage done on the weekends flying.
An additional benefit is you can run a aft CG and in some cases you airplane will perform better. My MB339 SM generation1 weights 51 lbs. at takeoff and flies with a PST1300R, it never used to be able to climb in knife edge. Now with gyros and a aft CG it can.
Thank you to Skymasters Li Kai for showing his videos on aft cg and stabilization it works great (use under extreme caution)

Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 AM
Dustin Buescher

I was board with my boat...

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

If someone needs all that crap to fly maybe they should just have some one with a little skill fly their planes or get an LECTRIC Boat.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 AM
Aero65

Hi Dustin

I prefer Motorboating, although RC boats can be fun.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 AM
Dustin Buescher

I used my motor boat for one season. has not moved in a year and a half!

My kids are getting to the age where they may enjoy it, So it may get put back in the water....

Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: essyou35

I had an f-86D and the rudder gyro did help but did not elimiate it completely. The rudder cant correct the exact motion alone. A gyro on the ailerons would help alot if paried with one on the rudder.

Seems kinda scary to do that.
Futaba GYA 351 was a dual channel single axis. The new GYA431 is also but you must be using sbus to do dual channel and remote gain.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Aero65

Hi Dustin

Loved the F-104, looked great did you use any gyro's in that? Ray Johns said it looked good. I have the small Avonds one, im defiantly putting gyro's when I repaint it.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Dustin/Duke,

I went a completely different place with motor-boating.

Dave
"Motor Boating SOB!"
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: Aero65

Hi Dustin

Loved the F-104, looked great did you use any gyro's in that? Ray Johns said it looked good. I have the small Avonds one, im defiantly putting gyro's when I repaint it.
I have flown the Avonds F-104 a lot and found it very steady, it doesn't fishtail or dutch roll so it doesn't need a gyro on any axis unless you feel you want steadying against turbulence
Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok can I put a gyro on my "lectric" boat?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 AM
HoundDog

I realize that. Just tried to get a rise from some Jet Jocky, Most of ya have too much class for that. ... U guys really (for the most part) do a really good job. The club I fly with in the winter (Arizona Model Aviators, Mesa AZ.) puts on the Arizona Jet Rally for the last 25 or 26 years stright, every November ... great show Hope Ya all can make it some day.
Keep the AB on in the climb.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Dustin Buescher

ORIGINAL: Aero65

Hi Dustin

igyro. Worked great!

Dave. Lol no comment!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Terry Holston

ORIGINAL: Dustin Buescher

I learned the hard way a few weeks ago that the analog 2721 and 370a don't play well together.

so if the video say analog ok, disregard. The instruction certainly say digital only.

something to consider with gyro use is the fact the servos are basically constantly changing direction. This means servo life is reduced and battery consumption is increased. How much? Who knows....

as for what surface is the best to stabilize? I say give me an aileron gyro before anything else. I've flown the little Sabre with aileron only, I did not know until the customer told me. I figured it had rudder aswell. An aileron gyro builds confidence because the plane stays where you left it, but on the other hand it can mask a stall... Beware.

LOL..........................Told ya................................LOL
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM
CafeenMan

I don't fly jets but I have put a gyro in a Stik model just for kicks. It was a heading hold/rate gyro that I set up so I could turn it completely off. It was funny putting it in HH and then doing aileron turns.

If I were you I would start with a gyro on the rudder only. You can always add one to the ailerons if the rudder gyro isn't doing what you want or maybe just switch the gyro to the ailerons instead of rudder.

If you don't know how to set up a gyro then get some help and make sure you have it on a switch that is set up so it can be turned off. You'll know it's off if you turn on the radio, give no rudder command and move the airplane around the yaw axis. If the rudder moves then the gyro is on.

If the rudder moves until you stop turning the model and goes back to center then it's in rate mode which is only trying to stop it from rotating but not put it back on heading.

If the rudder stays kicked over even after you've stopped turning the plane then it's in heading hold which is trying to put it back on it's original heading.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Aero65

To cool Dustin, thank you for the build thread on the other site BTW.

Dave, one day shopping at Costco in a hot Hawaii day makes you think that way

Hi Harry, I agree with you, however mine is a bit heavy and I fly from a pretty short strip but wide 350 X 80. The last few times I flew it before I put it up for a rebuild it would PIO during landing.
I think I may have made the ventral fin too heavy also, as I kept bashing the heck out of it. Anyway Id like to be able to fly it a bit slower on final if possible (I know its a 104) without pio so im trying a gyro.

Here is a video of it, you can see the pio at the end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z82WtqRedDk[/youtube]
Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Planecrazy232

Duke,

You have big brass ones to be flying that plane off that little strip!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Aero65

Hi Planecrazy232

Our "good" overrun is about 150' to 200' so not too bad but at the end of the 150 there are drainage holes ever 4 feet fun. One of the guys has plates to cover them however he is not always around.
Soo not that big but thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.