Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Did you fly today?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Did you fly today?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:47 PM
nervousheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you fly today?

Every forum seems to have it, except this one. I thought it would be nice to log in your day.

I'll start it off!

Yes I flew this morning, the weather was marvellous, slight wind gusts, but it was a good day. I just did some flips and rolls, couple piros here and there, 3 packs and I was done. It was a good day.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
millsy14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Did you fly today?

No flying for me today, just finished up building a SKYMASTER viperjet for a customer and ran engine for first time, Jetcat100rx. Sweet apart from minor fuel leak on fuel filter housing. Nipped up now all good!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 AM
Kozzy_98

Gets too dark too quickly!

(After School, at least
Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Kaos

Got in 5 flights on my T-Rex 450 this morning. It was dead calm when I arrived at the RC field. Did a warm up flight, then practiced pirouettes, flips and rolls. Also did some FFF with half-pirouette turn around. It was pretty windy during the last flight, so I limited maneuvers to a few pirouettes and a little FFF. All in all, a good day.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM
nervousheli

It's been raining ALL day almost. But I managed to sneak out!! Yay!! Not that windy aswell. The grass was full of mud and water so I had to be careful where I land. I took out one of my 450s fbl, yep I set the throttle hold to -3%. Took the 450 up in the air. The usual couple of flips and rolls, couple of piros here and there. Then I decided to land her. Put her back to NM slowly drop her down to about half a meter. The disc was flat, flip the TH switch and she auto nicely to the ground. Smoothe! She done it all herself!! I'm really happy that my 450 is configured nicely.

At my local park

Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
nervousheli

yep I went out to fly again today. It really looked like a calm day no ground breeze. May be just a little bit, but not that much at all. I took my heli as usual to the big park. Fired up the 450 and she was flying well. Then I took the heli up higher, and didn't even realise there was a lot of wind activity up above, and my little 450 was blown. Whoosh! The 450 struggled to fight the wind but eventually I got her back. After that flight I realised I need a TRUE wind fighter! A Trex 700!!!! It's time for me to start saving some more $$$$.

The big park that looked very peaceful down on the ground level.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Kaos

ORIGINAL: nervousheli

yep I went out to fly again today. It really looked like a calm day no ground breeze. May be just a little bit, but not that much at all. I took my heli as usual to the big park. Fired up the 450 and she was flying well. Then I took the heli up higher, and didn't even realise there was a lot of wind activity up above, and my little 450 was blown. Whoosh! The 450 struggled to fight the wind but eventually I got her back. After that flight I realised I need a TRUE wind fighter! A Trex 700!!!! It's time for me to start saving some more $$$$.
I can really relate to that! After thinking about it for a few weeks now, I ordered a new T-Rex 550e with iKON and two ROC 6S 5000 mAh LiPo batteries. Cant' wait!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:03 PM
nervousheli

yep I'm definately considering a bigger heli, just weighing up the costs.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Kaos

Well, I got in 3 flights on my T-Rex 450 this morning, all in the highest winds I've ever had the nerve to try. I have to admit that I sometimes don't give my 450 enough credit, especially since I upgraded it to DFC and the iKON flybarless system. It was amazingly stable in the winds and turbulence. Yeah, I had to work the collective/power quite a bit, but I never felt like I was going to lose it. I even did some FFF up and down the runway - a bit of a thrill, but certainly manageable. I say "thrill" because there was quite a bit of climb and descent transition during the turn arounds that require large power adjustments. All in all, a good morning of learning.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:31 PM
nervousheli

how did you mount the IKON on your 450 PRO? any pics?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Kaos

Side mount:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64030.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1888131  
Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
nervousheli

very nice
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 PM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: Kaos

Side mount:

Very nice cable arrangement. How does that IKON FBL system work for you? I have a couple of CopterX CX1000 systems (they are OK, but I hate tethering them to my desktop to setup and adjust), a couple of the Align 3G systems (setup is a breaze but fff characteristics SUCKKK, it tends to pitch up terribly at any elevator setting lower than the Parkinsons nod), and one BeastX clone (my favorite among all).

Back to the topic of the OP, I flew a couple of planks in the midst of severe thunderstorm warnings. The weather system that brought Texas and Oklahoma the tornados this past week was coming through Georgia today.

Despite the weather, my buddy and I maidened his 105" 1/4 scale cub, and then I let him fly my Giant Super Sportster on the trainer box.
He did well, and enjoyed the super sportster better than the trainer I have been working with him on.

I did get a chance to fly the Align 450SE when the wind got to bad to fly the big birds. This is the one that I have the BeastX clone on with a mikado Vbar head. Man that thing flies well.

I am enjoying this thread, and will lurk from time to time. I usually lurk over in the HK450 thread. I am one of the Georgia Brothers that Brian (RickyBob) makes fun of from time to time.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Kaos

[/quote]
Very nice cable arrangement. How does that IKON FBL system work for you? I have a couple of CopterX CX1000 systems (they are OK, but I hate tethering them to my desktop to setup and adjust), a couple of the Align 3G systems (setup is a breaze but fff characteristics SUCKKK, it tends to pitch up terribly at any elevator setting lower than the Parkinsons nod), and one BeastX clone (my favorite among all).
[/quote]

The iKON is my first flybarless system, so I'm no expert, but I'm very happy with it. I had some bugs to work out initially, but none were the fault of the iKON. The first problem was that I had the blade grips set too loose, so the 450 shook like a dog pooping double-edge razor blades the first time I spooled it up. Once I figured that out, it runs smooth as glass. The other problem was with the stock Align ESC/BEC that comes with the 450. The BEC portion was not up to the task of supplying higher current to my now-new-to-me aggressive stick movements. As a result, I had a brown-out when I made my first rolls from a hover. It occurred on the 4th one, all within perhaps a 30 or 45 second window. So, I installed a Castle 10A BEC and voila, no more brown-outs.

Now that I have it about 98% dialed in, it is solid. Fast forward flight is like flying an airplane. It is not pitch happy, just solid. Every time I fly it I get more confident that it will do what I ask it to do with no surprises.

So after only a couple of months with this system, I decided to order a new T-Rex 550e with another iKON - I'm that confident with it. My kit and new iKON should be here in about a week. I can't wait!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM
nervousheli

I had given a sacrifice to the HELI GODS today. Yep, one of my 450s. It seems winter time is set for us down here. The winds are just not playing nicely. I was flying to low, tried to do a flip, and a wind gust just blown my 450 heli, like it was nothin. Bam! Straight to the ground.

Damage Report:

Tail boom
1 knighthead bar
Tail blade
Tail servo
HK450 DFC blade grip.
CF pushrod
etc. almost a write off.

I still got another 450, but I don't think I want to sacrifice another. I think I'm done flying, until either I get a bigger heli. Or I just sim it out through out the winter time, like a big grumpy grizzly bear. A 500/550e is definitely on my wish list. That's definitely on the cards.

I hope everyone else is going ok and getting some air time. []
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 AM
pushinoldrc

I had given a sacrifice to the HELI GODS today. Yep, one of my 450s. It seems winter time is set for us down here. The winds are just not playing nicely. I was flying to low, tried to do a flip, and a wind gust just blown my 450 heli, like it was nothin. Bam! Straight to the ground.

Damage Report:

Tail boom
1 knighthead bar
Tail blade
Tail servo
HK450 DFC blade grip.
CF pushrod
etc. almost a write off.

I still got another 450, but I don't think I want to sacrifice another. I think I'm done flying, until either I get a bigger heli. Or I just sim it out through out the winter time, like a big grumpy grizzly bear. A 500/550e is definitely on my wish list. That's definitely on the cards.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Damages sound fairly expensive. My suggestion is to sim out over the winter, and watch the auctions, you might just get lucky.
Hugj over in the 450 thread (the other Georgia brother) has a very nice HK 550 that is too big for his style of flying and has mentioned that he will sell it. The price he mentioned is steap, but a whole lot less than assembling one from scratch.
B

Old 06-03-2013, 02:04 AM
nervousheli

ORIGINAL: pushinoldrc

Damage Report:

Tail boom
1 knighthead bar
Tail blade
Tail servo
HK450 DFC blade grip.
CF pushrod
etc. almost a write off.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Damages sound fairly expensive. My suggestion is to sim out over the winter, and watch the auctions, you might just get lucky.
Hugj over in the 450 thread (the other Georgia brother) has a very nice HK 550 that is too big for his style of flying and has mentioned that he will sell it. The price he mentioned is steap, but a whole lot less than assembling one from scratch.
B

That's kool. He lives far from me. So postage would be extra. I'm thinking of getting this one it's local I think?? . Everything is all included, except the fbl gyro. I got several beast gyro clones. They will do. I'd really prefer if it came as a belt driven tail. Gotta keep looking, I just need to save for something like this, and for the expensive lipos(TP).

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=1727

Old 06-03-2013, 01:46 PM
pushinoldrc

That is a SUPER nice heli, and the price ain't so bad either.
$700 plus seems a lot, but after you figure in all the sundries, it's actually a pretty good deal.
Like I tell my kids when they want something...SAVE UP!!!!
Bryan
Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Nice thread idea for a change! But he%% no I couldn't fly, yesterday or today! Spent ten hours with the plumbing crew tearing up three feet of sewer in the front yard to get at the friggin tree trunk that decided to grow inside the lateral to the street! My wallet is thinner than it has been in 30 years to boot! But I am hoping to get out tomorrow .....
hook
Old 06-07-2013, 12:09 AM
nervousheli

I've been on the sim for the last couple of days. No flying.  I've also been hanging around my LHS, bought some parts for my 450. Checked out some of the big birds, that the hobby shop had on show. [] Slowly rebuilding my 450, it's costing me a bit, but I guess that's just how this hobby goes. I know, it's an expensive hobby, and only few people are lucky enough to have. [] Hope fully with in a couple of weeks, I should be able to finish rebuilding. I'm starting to get the itch, withdrawal symptoms of not flying. If it's a good day with in this several days, I might take out the other 450 I have. I hope everyone else is going ok and having their airtime! It's winter here now, so it must be summer somewhere else in the other side of this world.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Kaos

Today, I completed the 11th and 12th flight on my new T-Rex 550e DFC. I activated the governor yesterday and now have 4 flights in that condition. I really, really like the governor (built-in Talon 90 ESC). Also put 3 good flights on my trusty T-Rex 450 Pro DFC. I did lots of consecutive pirouettes on both machines, concentrating on keeping them stationary. I think I managed to twirl the 450 about 10 times while remaining in one spot. Heh!