Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Nose Weight location

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Nose Weight location

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Taxus812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose Weight location

Boy lots and lots of questions. Here is the latest. Can you attch nose weight to the cowling way up front near the prop ? Is this commonly done ?

This tail heavy cub has 2oz of weight on the firewall. I was thinking I could move it out and possibly drop some.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nose Weight location

Where is your flight pack located??

I have NEVER....in 40 years of flying, seen a tail heavy Cub....why is it tail heavy??
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in answer to your question yes, but it can damage the cowl in some instances by putting undo stress on the mounts. I have used lead shot mixed in epoxy and pasted it evenly around the cowl though. But make sure you have moved everything you can as far forward as you can first.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Taxus812

Thanks. So to the question of why is it tail heavy. The answer is there is no obvious reason it is, other than that it is. It is an old hanger 9 ARF that I am rebuilding ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11512195 ). The specification is for a CG of 3 1/4 " back from the leading edge measured at the fuselage. It was VERY tail heavy the day I got it. It had a brass heavy nose prop nut (6+ Oz) plus 1.3 Oz of weight on the firewall that all with a 20oz four stroke motor. (it flew fine like that as well btw). I decided to recover it and investigate the tail weight while all the covering was off. I didn't find anything obvious (you can see the pictures). There is no fuel soaked wood or weight in the tail. My only thought is the elevators are solid wood. In a previous post I also investigated if I was just simply balancing it wrong (which in part I was but I was close). I moved the battery as far forward as I can and moved the throttle servo forward as well. I added a fiberglass cowl and change the landing gear. With no weight it balances at about 4" back from the leading edge. To get it to the 3 1/4 mark stated by the manufacturer, I need to add weight (a lot to have any effect). I know it doesn't mean much but If I remove the wing I can balance it on the CG with no weight I bugs me because it also states it is supposed to be about 7 lbs flying weight and its more like 8.5 - 9 lbs. (with 850 Sq surface area) I may make new elevators some day and I also plan to recover the wing but I have conceded and im just going to fly it for now.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
RC MANIAC119

Too many guys, sometimes put too much emphasis on matching exactly on the factory specs. That C/G is just a recomendation, a starting point. the only REAL way to tell.....is get is close, AND FLY IT!!!

The airplane will tell you what it needs..by the way it flys!! Keep it simple............

Good luck, Rookie
Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The first order of business taxus is the vast majority of particularly ARF's come out about 15% heavier than what is advertised! Its a fact of life and another very popular lie is the "-fill in the blank" is the best best trainer ever and the reason is simply that's what sells airplanes.

If your airplane only requires two ounces at the firewall to properly balance the forget it attach the weight and fly the airplane. I also responded on your other thread in which I suggested you forget the stab and just level the airplane visually That is the proper thing to do on that airplane because it has positive incidence on the stab so just forget the stab.

If this is your first airplane then do not fall in love with it! Just attach the two ounces and fly it as the gentleman above suggested.

John
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes these weighs come in handy. Just attach to the prop shaft infront of the prop. You can add up to 2 oz of weight to the very front of your plane.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK246&P=FR

Frank

Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Taxus812

Thanks JonI did see your post and it really helped me out a lot. Not my first bird but the first that I really cared about the details. Its all set now. I posted what I learned on the other CG post to close it.I ended up not even needing the 2oz of weight at all
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM
RC MANIAC119

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

Where is your flight pack located??

I have NEVER....in 40 years of flying, seen a tail heavy Cub....why is it tail heavy??

That's right.....NAILED IT!!!!