Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM
nobbybasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

Hi collin i have been following your build of the hunter and the comments about the model from other forum users, myself i am an experianced model flyer getting on in years now, i have part built a turbine hawk in the past but gave up with it in discust the quility was bad and i sold it on. now is the time for me to start again and this time i will acceive my dream of flying a turbine powerd model, the hunter is my choice and i have today brought the model, i dont own a turbine yet neither have i ever operated or owned one but that will follow.

What i am asking for from all of you very experianced model jet flyers/builders is some help and advice, thank in antisipation.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bashed, what I can tell you is you could not pick a better model to achieve your dream. Go for it man. Jump right in there and make those memories.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Pat Barnes

Mike - very impressed with your seat! Nice work, and the best near scale one I've seen in a 1/6 Hunter!

Cheers - Pat
Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Barnes

Mike - very impressed with your seat! Nice work, and the best near scale one I've seen in a 1/6 Hunter!

Cheers - Pat
+1
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM
speed is life

ORIGINAL: Pat Barnes

Cheers - Pat
Pat, Sean, everyone, thanks for the kind words.
I'm happy with the "look", I do think it came out as "near scale" as I could do considering the unavailability of 3 view drawings and really good measurements off a real one.

a couple more shots of the seat during assembly: one of the right side and the baro altitude timer, the left side with the drogue gun assembly.

Cheers,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80527.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1868421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18716.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1868422  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
nobbybasher

i know this man that that calls himself phil greeno, in my day he was called mr s.g no not senor greeno, .the likes of john chamberlin/ russell buckner and of course mr yankee.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Jamie C

This afternoon i was sent this picture of a special order scheme which Ripmax has sorted out for a customer. It is in Lebanese Air Force markings. A nice change from the norm and looks quite good.

Name:	Tr50331.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1878053  
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 AM
jimmers123

Hi All
I have test flown my hunter,  super aircraft  with no giro fitted, and with a Jet cat 140 all that was requirad was 2 cliks of up elvator the landing was very easy. Thanks to my frends for all their help.
Regards Jim

Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Jim

About time

Dave
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Jamie C

Jim,

Would be nice to see you at Topgun next weekend with this.

Jamie
Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 AM
smchale

Congrats Jim! I've been getting a lot more flying on mine (K140) and really like it. One issue I have is the nose door closing before the nose gear. I think my UP3 just isn't strong enough to hold the door open as air hits it. Works perfect on the ground. I ended up removing the door for now and the gear has worked flawlessly, but I know this isn't the solution. What is everyone else using for valves I the air system?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

How fast are you going when you hit the gear? With a 140 you can be going real fast real quick! All my scale models I take off with minimum power and clear the gear as I rotate and don't "pull" into a climb where the gear doubles/triples in weight with G...

Dave
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 AM
mikedenilin

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I use a restrictor in the door air line to slow it down. Mike
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
stivvy

Hi Guys - hope you can help.

My Hunter is 99% complete, just the spaghetti wiring, air lines, plumbing etc to sort.

Onto balancing - it was a real shock when I found that I will need around 1.5kg additional noseweight upfront ! Thats around 3.5lbs old money.

The only thing I have done (which I might change), is mounting 3 Jet-Tronic air valves under the turbine hatch between the saddle tanks. They only weigh around 250g at most.

Total AUW dry including the noseweight around 15kg (33lbs).

Anybody out there had similar issue and is this extra deadweight a problem problem ?
Turbine is a 140 Simjet, 28lbs + thrust.

Thanks

Steve D
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: stivvy

My Hunter is 99% complete, just the spaghetti wiring, air lines, plumbing etc to sort.

Onto balancing - it was a real shock when I found that I will need around 1.5kg additional noseweight upfront ! Thats around 3.5lbs old money.

The only thing I have done (which I might change), is mounting 3 Jet-Tronic air valves under the turbine hatch between the saddle tanks. They only weigh around 250g at most.

Anybody out there had similar issue and is this extra deadweight a problem problem ?

Thanks

Steve D
I mounted as much as I possibly could up in the nose... Really tight, but I got ecu battery pack up in there and all my air valves;-)
CG is spot on. I would do all I can to take out the 1.5kg of dead weight. Weight wise you should be ok though, as mine is a little porky at 32#'s and flies fine with a JetCentral Super Eagle (30#thrust).. Good luck

Z
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
stivvy

Thanks for the info Z.

How much weight did you have to add up front ??

Steve
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Dave Wilshere

Thanks

Steve D

250 grams...3 valves are less than 100 grams.

You haven't coated the back end in heat shield paint and foil? What tail servos??
What batteries in the nose? If you have little Li-Pos then weight will be more...

Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Jamie C

Stivvy,

As Jzuniga said i would be reducing that weight as much as i can, both receiver packs and the ecu pack in mine are as far forward as they can go on the tray provided which fits above the nose wheel unit. I have recently changed the motor from a 140RX to a 90RXI and i have removed the pump and ecu from under the equipment tray you see in the picture. I have 10 ounces of weight at the tip of the battery tray and the CG is on the mark recommended, it was set so it was slightly nose down with the CAT full ( which is just aft of the nose unit ). The removal of the pump and ecu has only made a small difference, so i have left it as it is.

Name:	Xv62933.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1887353  
Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 PM
jzuniga

Thanks for the info Z.

How much weight did you have to add up front ??

Steve
As far as extra, or rather dead weight? none. But I did move the ecu battery (3 cell a123) and valves/ mini servos up in the nose. I also put my two rx battery packs underneath the cockpit area... try to get everything as far forward as possible and you shouldn't (fingers crossed) need to add any lead in the nose. Good luck

Z
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Jamie C

Stivvy,

As Jzuniga said i would be reducing that weight as much as i can, both receiver packs and the ecu pack in mine are as far forward as they can go on the tray provided which fits above the nose wheel unit. I have recently changed the motor from a 140RX to a 90RXI and i have removed the pump and ecu from under the equipment tray you see in the picture. I have 10 ounces of weight at the tip of the battery tray and the CG is on the mark recommended, it was set so it was slightly nose down with the CAT full ( which is just aft of the nose unit ). The removal of the pump and ecu has only made a small difference, so i have left it as it is.
Nice install JamieC...

Z
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Jamie C

Cheers Z, i have to admit that it is not my work but that of a friend. Steve Elias is famed for his installations and this one is typical of his work.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
jzuniga

ORIGINAL: Jamie C

Cheers Z, i have to admit that it is not my work but that of a friend. Steve Elias is famed for his installations and this one is typical of his work.
Well kudos to him then... I've decided that I'm never going to be a master type builder, but I try!

Steve, upon further research, I see that I put both my rx packs in the nose, with a smoke pump, radio gear, valves etc. The ECU battery is in the cockpit compartment.
I built a stronger shelf, (mount area) and mounted all of that stuff to the forward bulkhead. I achived all this cause I cut my nose off and have better access to everything. you can see in the one picture one of the mounting bolts for the nose at the top above my micro servos... good luck

Z
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM
jzuniga

tried to upload pics, but, trusty RCU

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

[:@]

Z
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I thought I'd revive this thread. I'm converting mine from EDF to turbine. Ordered the tanks, bypass, and pipe. I'll post photos as I progress with the conversion. I also decided to do some weathering to bring out some of the detail. In the photo, the wing on the right has been weathered and the wing on the left has the factoring weathering. You can see how a little extra weathering has made the detail pop out.

Kirk

Name:	Ig11825.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1898862  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
smchale

Awesome bud! Convert it and fly it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.