Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Should I get a pilots license?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Should I get a pilots license?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 AM
Daniel Spurlock
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a pilots license?

I would say first finish h/s go to a aviation tech school get your A&P you will find a job with that and also meet alot of people who own airplanes and then the sno ball is rollng.You would also b able to afford your pilots certificate.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set your goal, go for it, and have a life plan.
Edwin
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Jaybird

Well, I'm 52 with BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology from the University of Maine at Orono (class of '83). At graduation there were no engineering positions except for paper company work and the top students in my class went there. I worked retail and manual labor jobs for several years while getting married and starting a family a few years later. I didn't gat a salaried engineering position until 1985. Once my son was in high school, I got my private pilots license in 2004. If I'd had the chance to start flying when I was 15 I would have jumped at it! Learning to fly is a great education in itself with both the technical aspects of flying, aerodynamics, airspace, FAA rules and regulations plus the discipline required to learn, ask questions, make critical decisions in all the areas of flight.

Should you get a pilots license? Well, not unless your career plans are aviation based I guess.

Would getting your pilots license be a great educational experience as well as one of the most fun and challenging adventures you could try? Yes!

In 2004 my license took most of a year and cost about $6500.
I rent from the local airport at $110 hour including fuel. I have a special savings account that has money from every paycheck deposited into it just for flying.

Learning to fly will never get less expensive, only more as prices continue to rise.

This past Spring I flew in a glider south of Miami, Fl with an instructor who just turned 18 that day and he was one of the nicest young men I'd ever met. Very compitent and confident and an excellent instructor. He'd started flying gliders at age 15 and had his pilots license as well so it can be done.

Good luck and clear skies!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90606.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1887296  
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

< bachelors of science in computer engineering here.
yes .. you do start there, or higher.

If you are coming out of high school and know that you want to be a plumber or you want to be a machinist.. college may not gain you a whole lot $$ wise.. although if you hope to own your OWN plumbing company some courses in finance and business may be beneficial... it all depends on your life goals. I still believe that more education is better than less. You will never sit there and say "dammit i wish I didn't know math"... although the opposite may be true...

most people I know in the trades do well for themselves... but I don't know one that doesn't work his fingers to the bone and put in massive amounts of overtime, including being on call on weekends. I guess I put in my fare share of overtime as well.. but its all typing at this keyboard... and I can do it in front of my TV so it doesn't feel like overtime.

-slug in the engineering dept...

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

ORIGINAL: mattnew

way to encourage a kid not to be educated....

and you'll start after a 4 year degree higher than 67k. Its an invaluable experience

You can get educated without college. What is wrong with a trade school degree?

When is the last time you tried to find a job?
There is no way you are going to START at 67K+ with a BS in science.
Trade school is usually only two years for a degree, and way cheaper per year. You don't have the investment to get the earning potential.
mattnew...If you can get people entry level jobs only having a BS degree for 67K starting pay, you should start a job placement service.
With overtime I make close to 100K/year for less than 50 hr/wk. The slugs with BS degrees in the engineering dept work a lot more hours than I do to make the same. Salary jobs don't pay OT. HA

Greg
Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

I've had my license since 1976. SEL, Instrument

One thing you will find is that the cost is a lot more than just the cost to get your license. If you rent a plane, you are looking at $100 up per hour- wet. That is if you can find something to rent at $100 (wet). If you own a plane, keep in mind the addage " A boat is a hole to throw money into." Then multiply that times 3.

I own a 1965 Citabria and am the Sec/Treas of a flying club with a 172 and 182. I know the costs.

That said, I love flying and encourage anyone who is interested to go for it. Just keep in mind that the costs don't end when you get your license. Neither does the learning. Make sure you are ready financially and mentally.

Good Luck

Dale
Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make pretty good jing as a toolmaker also. Never gone more than 3 hours without a job offer since 1984.
For those who think getting a trade is not the same as getting an education you are sorely misguided. I can't tell you how many design meetings I have sat in on with guys (and girls) possessing degrees from big schools where they were asking for direction on how to do and make things.

Next time you look at a power plant or the space station think about guys like me cause I made stuff on and in them.

No matter what, it all takes some work and effort either path one chooses.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

mattnew...As they say "You can always tell an engineer, BUT you can't tell him much."

In all of the shops I've worked in, the engineers submit what they think they want. We correct them and let them know what can actually be done. The engineer changes his submitted plans to what we suggest, and then we proceed from there.

This thread is going way off topic, but to t-max97...make sure you weigh all of the possibilities. I think we all agree that further education is very helpful in reaching your goals in life. Don't wait too long to get a pilots license, there are no guarantees on how long any of us have to do what we really want.

Greg
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 AM
mausolfh
My Feedback: (19)

If you have the chance to obtain a pilots license go ahead and do it. I started out in High School in CAP and it was a great decision. After that I went on to college and received a BS in Aero Engineering all the while engaged in aeromodeling. Aeromodeling and the CAP gave me the imputus to further myself in an aviation career. After college I joined the military and became a military pilot (three tours in RVN and one in PAK later). Still, during this time I was an avid aeromodeler and enjoying the best of both worlds. I then retired and went on to United Arilines retiring from there as a B767 Captain. This job allowed me to fly with aeromodelers all over the world and was an unforgettable experience. Now fully retired I have jumped into aeromodeling in a big way. Look for my articles in High Flight magazine and come see me at the Joe Nall, WOD, and some of the other major events around the country. The sky is no longer the limit.

Hank Mausolf
AMA AVP
District IV
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey you all, I am 56 and when I grow up... I want to be an astronaut..
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: OldRookie
mattnew...As they say ''You can always tell an engineer, BUT you can't tell him much.''
In all of the shops I've worked in, the engineers submit what they think they want. We correct them and let them know what can actually be done. The engineer changes his submitted plans to what we suggest, and then we proceed from there.
Greg
There are always exceptions. It is discouraging that many engineers lack mechanical intuition. It is extremely rewarding being an engineer with mechanical intuition. I went the tech route for a little while. I was a carpenter and got tired of banging up my knees and knuckles. That's when I started looking at school again and found out about mechanical engineering. Its the best thing that ever happened to me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with delaying college until you are ready (if ever). College is much more rewarding when you realize what you are going for and have the ability to appreciate what is there (most kids don't appreciate the resources and hardly even use them - with two 4-year degrees, I've been to a few colleges).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a pilot's license too. Whether or not it is worth it depends on your expectations. If you want to fly to different places for vacation, or the "Hundred Dollar Hamburger", you need to realize the cost that is involved. If you just want to get in a plane and fly around, it is much more cost effective.

Airplane mechanics make decent money. There are airplane mechanic tech schools, you get a college experience and get to be around airplanes, and come out with an irreplaceable skill set.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM
toolmaker7341

Sorry jaybird when I hire an engineer for my company I have to tell them forget what you have learned in school and we will teach how the real world works. Some of the best enginners I know do not have a degree. What these schools are turning out is pathetic. Maybe you get 3-4 that arn't half bad but this country needs more than that out of a class of 50 or more.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Jaybird

No need to be sorry. I found my degree, at the time, to not be worth much to employers who wanted experience. My abilities as an "engineer" came from the things I did growing up like building plastic models, drawing and designing, observing my older brother as he explored RC aircraft and helicopters and my father as he built control line and eventually RC too. I was sent to college by my parents "so I could get a job", but it took quite a while before the degree itself meant anything to any employers. My natural skills and attention to details got me the work that I needed to survive not the books and papers I had to write. The MET prgram was quite different from the standard ME as it had many classes with hands on work in the machine shop and drawing board (there were no CAD units anywhere and the programing we did was on the TRS-80 with a cassette).

So again I say, if you have the chance to learn to fly, do it! How many of your peers would even consider it as a goal? I think it takes a special kind of person especially at 15 to think beyond the easliy obtained goals to something as challenging and rewarding as learning to fly.

Jaybird
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

''I want to be a pilot but I don't like school''.
''I want to fly planes and own my own but I don't want a job that can pay for it..''
''I want to have fun all my life and not get stuck working.''

That about sum it up? Ah, the blind enthusiasm of youth.
I don't know where you get your information but I never said I didn't want a job, I never said I want to have fun all my life without having to work and If I did I would just apply for food stamps, disability and a nice new Obama phone ,I want a job and I'm actually trying to get one now, and while I don't like school as in sitting down looking at a book and listening to a lecture doesn't mean I don't like learning. This post is completely ridiculous and not true what so ever.

As for everyone else Iv'e read all the replies and there are to many to reply to but thanks for the input. This thread is really going way off topic though, whether I get a pilot's license doesn't really have any bearing on me going to college or not, It's not a done deal or anything but my parents think it's a good idea.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Jaybird

Bravo!

Where did all that venom come from?

It really is amazing how many "soapboxes" get pulled out and people start ranting about things that weren't even part of a persons inquiry.

Don't take it personally, t-maxx, almost everyone gets flammed here and it's hard to get a straight answer on topic.

If your parents support you and it's a personal goal you have, then go for it! A great inspirational book on the subject is called "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. It's a true story about a boy about your age and his older brother flying a Piper Cub across the country. Great reading and an amazing story.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=TP5lDzQIg8gC

Best wishes and I hope to hear about your adventures!

Jaybird
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

ORIGINAL: t-max97

I'm 15 (16 in a couple weeks) and thinking about trying to get a private pilot's license. I want to get one because I think it would be awesome to just hop in a plane and go fly when and wherever you want, I think just flying in general would be awesome. It would be awesome to eventually own a plane and after some research it doesn't look like it has to be as expensive as you would think. The obvious downside is it cost's alot to get your license (probably around $7,000) and how often would I really use it? On the other hand you only live once and why would you not do something you want to do just because of money if you can? Two of my great granddads where pilots, one even built his own plane and one was an aircraft mechanic, so it's kind in my blood lol. Any input?
t-max97,
How much flying have you done, and what have you flown?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: t-max97

I'm 15 (16 in a couple weeks) and thinking about trying to get a private pilot's license. I want to get one because I think it would be awesome to just hop in a plane and go fly when and wherever you want . . .
The owners of the aircraft generally frown on that.

Have you looked into the cost of renting or owning a private plane? That's what halted my license pursuit once Igraduated from college and the Avaition Club was no longer subsidizing my flight hours. Much cheaper to fly R/C. ;-)

Though, I did get married two weeks out of college to the secretary of the Avaition Club! 33 years agolast Tuesday. So it did pay off - she tolerates my R/C flying.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Jaybird

Frown on what? Using your license to fly a plane around for the fun of it?

That's what I do with my license and rented plane and nobody frowns at me.

He hasn't asked if he should learn to fly model airplanes so I don't see what good it does to try and divert his interest or send him to college at this point. Maybe when he askes those questions then the responses would be relevant.

Just sayin'

Jaybird
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Again, aviation whether it is full scale or RC is not cheap. All grown ups here are trying to tell you the better educated you are the best paying job you are going to get.

You asked for opinions and that is what you are getting, if you don't like our opinions, don't ask again.

As the old adage says, Hire a teenager before he forgets all he knows

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Jaybird

He asked for opinions on persuing an avaition license...nothing else. Others have seen fit to assume a lot about him and his background and intentions. If you read back through his responses they are pretty straightforward and he has defended himself against personal attacks which have nothing to do with his question and are based on assumptions and prejudices of those "responding".

This seems to be be a typical cycle for most threads...question asked, responeded to, misinterpreted, personal agenda proposed, that's attacked, topic lost and opinions multiplied.

T-max....get started already before the trolls get you!

Jaybird
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

You only live once is true. You don't get to hit the reset button and start over. At the end of your life you WILL look back and wonder what if. . . . I was given a presidential appointment to West Point. I didn't take it. As a young kid of 16-17 years old, (1968) when the military was not seen as a respectable institution, I threw it in the trash. Along with President Johnson's signature. My dad was a Green Beret - won the Silver Star, 2-3 Bronze Stars, Purple Heart with 3 oak leaves and was twice recommended for the CMH. (Which he turned down). We worked his ass off trying to make things easier for me, laid his life on the line every day and I threw the one thing away that would have made him most proud. You don't get to go back and relive your life. Hell, you don't even get to re-do yesterday. If you want to get a pilot's license as part of your career ambitions, go for it. But do the right thing for the right reason. Do it because it's meaningful, not because you think it would be cool. Maximize your potential, learn all you can learn, apply yourself to your goals and ambitions. Don't walk through life picking and choosing what's cool. Be true to yourself and the life you want to live. The time is approaching very quickly for you when it won't matter what your doing as long as it puts food on your table. Assuming you have a table.

Go Tech
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM
JRAC19K
My Feedback: (4)

I have my pilots license.  Yes renting a single engine plane will cost anything from $100 - $130 /hr for a single engine.  If I were you, I would look into joining the Air Force.  That is a career in itself.  If I had to do it all over again, I would choose that route.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:06 PM
DeferredDefect

Hi T-Max,
I'm 19 years old and have always wanted to fly. I built and launched model rockets when I was young, and moved up to radio control aircraft a few years ago. Moving away for university would have forced me to either downsize or stop altogether any hobbies that I had, including building and flying models. Instead, I decided that I'd enrol in a local college program that would allow me to get my flying "fix" and get a proper education.
Below I've attached a few pictures of today's lesson:

At the end of the day, I will have a Commercial, IFR, Multi-Engine rating, as well as an engineering knowledge base. Ancilliary courses will also allow me to get various degrees in a much shortened timeframe as well. This will give me a far broader range of opportunities down the road and keep my options open.

There are quite a few schools that offer this, and although there are many ways to getting your "ticket", I'm having a blast with this route!

Best of luck,

Graeme
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26334.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1887358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59704.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1887359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93268.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1887360  
Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Aviation is a wonderful field. At least go take an intro-flight. Summer jobs at the airport pumping gas and stacking hangars are the best. And they will allow you to meet charter pilots, corporate pilots, military pilots, mechanics, air traffic controllers, FBO operators, and many other people in aviation. And you generally get a discount on lessons.
There are two periodicals that are a must for anyone that likes aviation, one is Flying magazine. The other is Aviation Weekly. The technology crammed into airplanes today is nothing less than astonishing. These magazines will give you some insight into the latest stuff. And they are generally laying around the lobby , just waiting for you.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
fred985

save up a few bucks and take a ride to most any small airport and go upfor an hour of instruction. it will go into your new log book and count for your ticket someday. you can take instruction at most any age,,,but i dont think you can solo intil 18 years old. you may find an instructor with a J-3 cub,,,the best trainer ever made. Heck, i had the money and got a 450 stearman and got my tiocket in it 43 years ago.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say go for it!
At age 15 I earned my pilots license. Was in an Eagle Scout post at the time, that owned a Cherokee 140.
Have to say, looking back, it was best experiences of my life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.