Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

that is a very good point about the splined cranks... Twisted splines, shifted counter weights, basically all of the bad stuff that happens during a full scale prop strike would apply here. []
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had thought of this but for me I elected not to cut into the back of the fiberglass fuse. Would be much easier to work around on a wood build up model. Either way, it is going more and more like the full scale in how we operate.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM
okieloco48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, my name is Joe and I do product design and development for Authentic Scale. I have one of the new production P&W R9/2800-200 engines laying on my work bench. We are in the final stages of minor changes and test running the R9. We should be shipping them out to pre-order customers very soon now. Some of you guys are right, the price has went up but look at it this way, for what you are getting it is well worth it. We have went to great lengths to not only make the engine run very well but to offer the only SCALE engine for your fighter plane or bomber on the market today. From the front, the engine looks just like its full scale counter part. It has dummy twin distributors, magneto, prop governor, oil pump, spark plug wires, spark plugs, etc. The constant speed prop hub and blades are as scale as they can be made and have the capability to statically change pitch on the blades. As for the Twin Wasp (2 rows of 9 cylinders), it is in the works as is a complete line of single cylinder, 4 stroke gasoline engines starting at 10cc and going through 150cc. As time goes on we have plans to build several other scale engines. The Rolls Royce Merlin V12, think about it, way cool for your big P51!!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM
77chickenhawk

Hello Joe nice to meet you.

Antonio told me many many months ago of all the options you already had set in stone. And the price was going to be around $3500. So back then you guys knew all the things that you were going to be doing. So why the dramatic cost change? I know that it's completely priced out of my price range unfortunately. I was really looking forward to getting at least one of these engines but I just don't know if I can afford that price now. And the one I was really wanting was the 18cylinder or the 14 Cylinder. I'm thinking those are going to be in the $10,000 range if the nine cylinder is five grand. 3500 is a tight squeeze but doable. And even five or six grand for the 18 but I just don't know. All I know is I'm bummed.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 PM
okieloco48

Hi, I know what you mean about being bummed, we are too! The problem in pricing a product, that has over 600 parts in it, is the cost we have to pay to our many suppliers. Sometimes we are at their mercy. As all items that are on the market today, we have suppliers from all over the world and can substain cost hikes without notice. Antonio was very sincere in wanting to sell this engine in the $3500 range but as final assembly and production nears, we are getting a true assesment on the cost of producing such a complex engine not to mention the cost of developing this engine. If you can save a few hundred more bucks and be able to purchase the R9, you will never hold a model engine in your hands that is such a work of art as the R9 not to mention the sound and performance. Here is my constant day dream, looking into the front of the cowl of my F8F-2 Bearcat and seeing a functioning SCALE Pratt & Whittney engine. Way cool!!! Joe
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pictures or video yet?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM
77chickenhawk

I appreciate your input Joe. Yeah I was also wondering about videos also. I'll see you have that one quick clip is on the website would be nice to see some other videos with the Hamilton standard prop and video with some different RPM readings
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM
okieloco48

Hi Guys, the way I receive products from Authentic Scale is a large box with literally hundreds of parts in it. I then meticulously assemble the parts into an engine looking for any discrepancies or shortcomings. We have a couple of situations, right now, that we are not happy with. Our suppliers are working to correct these discrepancies. The end result is to produce an excellent engine. As soon as I have the engine assembled, with corrections made, I will be running it on my dyno test stand and will make a very comprehensive video. Also after final assembly, I will take a lot of photos from all sides and angles of the engine. The short video you see on the website is the first run of the original prototype engine. It was only run for a short period then completely broken down and assessed. All the photos and video should be coming very soon so try to be patient. I know I have the same problem, I am very impatient to start getting these engines out there in you guys hands because I have new projects on the way (the single cylinder engines). As for the constant speed (variable pitch) hubs and blades, they are finished but do not come with the engine. They are an accessory part that you can buy to suite your own particular needs (3 or 4 blade application). The engine comes with a standard prop hub with multiple bolts to hold the 2 blade prop in place. Later! Joe
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM
ltdive

Hi Joe i have pre ordered your PW2800 200 and can;'t wait for it to arrive in will be going into a Century Jet sea fury.
A lot of Sea Furies converted over to PW 2800 and 3300 so ir will look great inside my cowl
i m thinking of doing a Spirit of Texas Sea Fury scheme for it instead of the usual military paint job
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM
ltdive

The price is worth it if you are after a true scale look and sound plus 9 cyl give a lot of torque to swing large props
The moki are nice but it seems most people under prop them to get max rpm and then fly at half throttle it is a waste of power available
Sale planes need scale engines and scale size props running at more scale engine speeds then radials sound amazing
Nothing sounds sexier than a radial with a big high pitch prop screaming past you
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 PM
okieloco48

Hi Guys, first I would like to address the comments on the splined crankshaft. This crank is very strong and the splines are large. As for impact loads (crash) the crank and splines can substaine considerly more load than a wooden prop or the laminate blades of the constant speed prop. If you tuist this crank there will be nothing left of the airplane or engine (strait in, full throttle, on the paved runway, LOL!). Joe
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
okieloco48

Hi Itdive
WOW, you sound a lot like me! There is no sound on earth like the sound of a fighter plane, with a large radial engine, on a low, full throttle pass down the runway. You are right about the torque! The more cylinders you can make fire on one revolution of the crankshaft, the more torque you can make at a lower RPM than other engines, of the same cc, with less cylinders. The R9 has more than enough power to pull a scale diameter prop, even a 4 blade. The adjustable pitch prop hub we offer, will allow you to adjust less pitch for more blades.
I am a real fan of the post WWII piston fighter planes such as the Sea Fury and the Bearcat. I will start building a scratch built, F8F-2 Bearcat to run the R9 in, very soon. The post WWII piston driven fighter planes were the pentacle of piston driven fighters, state of the art. Later! Joe
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 AM
ltdive

SO true about the post ww11 fighters
I was wondering how the testing is going on the R9 my dealer in aus is saying june , any idea when as i have put in my deposit to be one of the first to get one and the anticipation is killing me

Old 05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
okieloco48

Hi Itdive
I assume you are in Australia? Here is the deal, we have a couple of concerns with the R9. We have made the revisions to the design to correct those concerns and have sent them to the machine shop to produce revised parts. Now, we are at the mercy of the machine shop. I would hope that we can start shipping engines sometime in August but it could be sooner or later. I know this is not much of an answer to your question but it is the best we can give at the moment. If you have prepaid a deposit, then you will definitely be one of the first to receive the engine. Later! Joe
Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw this engine first hand and had the opportunity to talk with Antonio at this year Toledo show. The engine is indeed a work of art. The attention to detail is impressive and will be appreciated by even the most discriminating scale builders. Antonio's knowledge of this engine, and the full scale R-2800 it is modeling is equally impressive. I could listen to him talk about engines for hours.

Here are some things I like about this engine over the Moki.

1. designed and built in America
2. closed rocker covers (no more manual oiling)
3. push rods housed in sleeves (no more throwing rods off the engine)
4. supercharged
5. extensive scale detail (I was told that the 'scale' package is a $400 option and includes bolt on scale accessories)
6. an adjustable collector ring with no compression nuts to come loose
7. runs cooler
8. comes with an electric fuel pump as stock
9. sized to fit where you would otherwise use the Moki (unlike the Evolution radials)
10. the metallurgy in this engine is absolutely the best the US has to offer, which is the best in the world
11. Scale props and hubs are being made to match this engine by the same company

The negatives

1. the price. This was not to be an issue but has become one it would appear. I'm disappointed that the price has increased so much. I understand the arguments on the subject, but that does not change the fact that this engine will be beyond the ability of most modelers to afford. This is unfortunate. I hope that in time, as the cost of development and production are recouped, the price can be reduced to be in line with the competition. If I had money set aside for a radial and the Moki and This engine were close in price, it would be an easy decision to go with this one.

2. I have yet to see any video of this engine actually powering a plane. It remains to be seen how well it will perform in the air. It may have been flown already, but we need flight data.

I hope to someday have this engine in a Corsair or similar. Congratulations to those who will get a crack at it in the near future.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 PM
okieloco48

Hi Gary, thanks for the nice compliments! I will try to address a little of what you have listed. #1 Right on, lets keep our money at home. #2 Sorry Gary, they rockers are covered but you still have to manually lube then, just not near as often as the Moki in that they do not sling their lube all over the inside of the cowl, LOL! #3 True! #4 As the full scale engine was super charged so is the model. Also the full scale engine has a roller cam, so does our model. #5 You would have to talk to Antonio about that, not my department. #6 True, a real work of art with tuned exhaust design to increase HP and lower heat. #7 The model has the same attention to detail of the cooling fins as the full scale. #8 True. #9 Sized to fit in your fighter plane exactly as the full scale engine would fit in the full scale counter part. #10 True. #11 Both 3 and 4 blade, maybe more. I have one of the 3 blade hubs laying on my work bench, a true work of art! #1 We are also disappointed that the engine can not be sold cheaper. But think about it, you are getting so much more engine than the Moki that there is no comparison. The Moki was designed to keep the price down by leaving off things like push rod tubes, rocker covers, etc. The Authentic Scale R9 makes no compromise, it is a powerful engine that for the first time in R/C Modeling is true to scale. #2 You have yet to see one fly because as of yet we have not flown one but that is coming real soon! I am designing a scratch built F8F-2 Bearcat to do just that, fly! Again thanks for your comments! Joe
Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 AM
ltdive

Yes they are a work of art and very true to scale that is why i am getting one for the  SJ SEA FURY nothing can compete with this engine and anyone that looks into the cowl will be rewarded with the sight of a TRUE scale radial and see them cry with envy
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 AM
ltdive

Oops typo Century Jet Sea Fury a Top gun scale plane
Old 06-01-2013, 04:40 AM
okieloco48

I am designing my Bearcat to also accept the 400cc P&W R9/2800 Twin Wasp (18 cylinder) that will be coming out later. The cowl dimensions will be virtually the same but the power and torque will be twice as much if not more. A real sky rocket! I will have to learn to manage the plane with twice the torque and about 40% more motor weight. I read an article by a R/C Icon and he said he is not impressed by guys that excel in 3D flying but rather the real R/C pilots are the guys that can successfully fly a scale fighter plane with a high wing loading. I tend to agree! Joe
Old 06-01-2013, 08:12 AM
ltdive

wow 18 cylinders hmmm i see a bigger sea fury with a 34" 5 blade up front
Oh and my CJ fury is using their working scale exhaust stack of 9 pipes out each side so i'll get real heat and stains down the side instead of painted ones 
Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
ltdive

Century Jet
Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
okieloco48

I will build a scale header system for my Bearcat instead of using the stock collector ring. As it is a 9 cylinder, I will run two exhaust pipes into one to make 4 pipes out each side. The two I run together will be firing on different revolutions of the engine thus not causing any back pressure. Joe
Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:22 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you Joe for the good post on my observations. I agree, your engine is in a class all it's own. It's cost, while high, must be considered in perspective of what you get.

This is a leap forward in model engine design IMO (as will be the liquid cooled scale Merlin). One could argue that it is almost like the leap forward we took from the nitro ducted fan for jets, to the actual gas turbine engines of today. Finally, model jets could look and sound like their full scale examples.

I would say, although building a plane for this engine is certainly very cool, many excising examples of compatible airframes are on the market already. I respectfully would ask, just put the thing in something and fly it, take lots of video, and post it for our pleasure.

I love round engines and the planes they went in. Hope to have one of your engines in a Top Gun airplane in the future.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 PM
okieloco48

Hi Gary, I remember the first time I saw a model powered by a miniature jet turbine engine. The look was awesome, the speed was very impressive but the sound was out of this world! It was just like being at an airshow and watching the real thing. With that said, it couldn't compare with the first time I saw a model with a big radial go screaming by on a low pass and the reverberation of sound when it passed by me, again just like the full scale! There is very few things that make cold chills run down my spine but that is definitely one of them! Maybe one day I will build a Grumman F7F Tigercat with twin R9s. Now we are talking about an awesome sound.

I agree with you, we need to install the R9 in a readily available ARF and get some air time on it. Later! Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.