Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
BJ64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

Any suggestions re tightening up my fuel pump so it doesn't bind-up, but at the same time not leak like a sieve?

BJ
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BJ it sounds like the surfaces are not perfectly flat. it does not take much. That is really the only thing that makes sesne. You should be able to stand on those screws and there should not be an issue with alignment. the surfaces are just not square.

Andy

ORIGINAL: BJ64

Any suggestions re tightening up my fuel pump so it doesn't bind-up, but at the same time not leak like a sieve?

BJ
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Get a piece of glass and very fine emery paper, rub your pump surfaces over that until you have two perfectly flat faces,
Also do the same with the pump wheels, the pump wheels should just be touching the cover plate, too much of a gap and the pump dosnt work as well too little and it sticks.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 PM
brianljohnson

I have been playing with kero start on my jj1400.  I am using the Xicoy burner and V10 FADEC. Progress has been slow but am making good progress now.  I started by simply attempting to copy the parameters from my AU-540 to the V10 in order to get the new FADEC running on gas first.  That was not easy.  It seems that the parameter usage is very different on both FADEC's.  After much trial and error, I have managed to get an acceptable gas start. Although, not as good as with the AU-540   From there, I have managed to get the Kero Start working but i am still not satisfied with the Start Ramping to idle.  Has anyone tried touse the Xicoy V10 FADEC with the JJ1400. If so, would share your Gas Start parameters please

Brian
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I understand right....your using a gas FADEC to do Kerostart? Really, explain more please. I have an AU-540 Fadec kicking around. Another on a Wren.

DW_Crash
Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 AM
brianljohnson

Sorry DW for the confusion. I will attempt to clarify. No I am not trying to use a Gas FADEC for Kero Start. I am using the Xicoy AU107K, V10 Fadec. I have been trying to methodically transition from the old AU-540 Gas FADECto the latest AU107K Kero Start FADEC. I first wanted to simply get Gas Start running on the new FADEC. I figured that if i could get the new FADEC running the turbine well on Gas then it would be a relatively simple matter to reconfigure the FADEC for Kero Start. I thought it would be simply a matter of copying my current AU-540 Parameters into the new FADEC (set for Gas Start) and the turbine would operate identically as before. That was a huge mistake. The trubine behaved completely differently with the new FADEC. It has taken a significant 'Trial and Error" effort to get it to start and run acceptably. It still does not Ramp to Idle as smoothly using the New Fadec as it did with the Au-540. While the Parameter list does appear the same on both FADEC's The response to the parameters. is different. I do now have a working set of parameters for the AU107K (Gas mode) . From that position I then reconfigured the AU107K to Kero Start Mode. I initially used some of the parameters copied from my Kingtech K80F, tamed down somewhat to attempt to avoid as many flames as possible. then 'Trial end Error" parameter modifications to arrive at a working set of Kero Start parameters. This has largely been sucessful. The Turbine now starts and ramps to Idle on Kero. However, I am still of the view that the Ramp could be better. There is a tendency towards wet starts (not severe). There doesnt seem to be much room for calming it down without putting it on the edge of failing to start. I was wondering if anyone has converted to the AU107K. IIIf so, was hoping to review their parameters and compare to mine. If not, I guess I will have to keep working on my own. I know the the JJ1400 WILL run on Kero Start. I will need to keep working on the parameters to refine them further. I am at the stage where I feel comfortable enough to install the Turbine in my new Falcon 120.

Brian
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Xairflyer

I think it is going to be an experiment, the nearest thing will be the parameters from a wren 75 but they use a different kero burner and I'm afraid Gasper wont be any help either when you are using it on a JJ.

The one thing that gives flames on the kero start is the pump start voltage too high, this varies with types of pumps and how "run in" the pump is.

You dont want a flame thrower on a twin boom aircraft
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 AM
viggkri

Need help!

Hi, i have Jetjoe 1400 With only a few minutes on after bearingchange and balancing, it has run good in my Formost, after changing the startmotor (bearings was bad) i cant seem too get it too run past idle.

Fuel pump is ramping up, but when the turbine Reach 70-75000 it start too coufgh and spit blue flames, i have changed all the fuel lines and try too bench run With and without uat and filter.

a made a smal video too show some of the problems, any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu6Bu...ature=youtu.be

Viggo

Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 AM
frema

well
my experiance is that i had with a new jetjoe 1400
that 3 needles where blocked
if they are blocked nicely divide, then you dont have a big problem
but if the are next to eachother , then this can happen
i saw that your egt was also exceed the 650?

i changed the chamber as well
i bent the holes away from the sticks in the outer chamber
and i bent the sticks , like wren has
after that, a very smooth and fast responding engine with low egt
hope this helps
Kind regards,
martin.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM
viggkri

Problem solved.......

I take the engine apart, found two slightly blocked needles, everything else looked fine, i did adjust the temp-thing and the egt went Down With almost 100.

I marked everything, and the engine sound is fine, i also have the same top rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pios951zUc

My camera had some problems With the sound.

Viggo

Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 AM
BJ64

LoL

There's not many camera's that can cope with the sound of an RC Turbine - particularly within 1 or 2 metres of it once it gets up to full noise.

They all seem to make that weird harmonic shifting sound thing (like listening to shortwave radio used to do).

BJ
Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 AM
BJ64

Now...

I haven't started my JJ 3000's for quite some time now - maybe 2 years (??)

I'd like to give them another start-up, but I'm a bit concerned of the time lapse since their last outing - my main concern being corrosion.

I'm not sure which version of JJ 3000 I ended up with - the later ones are reputed to have come out with Iconel burner-boxes etc. That aside, there's probably other mild-steel components in there (I haven't pulled one down yet, so I don't now for sure).

Given that it's been a long while since I fired either of them up, do you guys think it's ok to spool-up as-is, or should I go searching/feeling for any key points that may pre-warn me of imminent failure?

Or do I just fuel-up, turn on the gas tap... and go for it?

BJ
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 AM
CRX Turbines

BJ,

Run it... If it ran fine when it was running it ought ot be fine.. Do you live near the ocean or in a partucarly humid environament? If not, the just run the thing.

Andy

Now...

I haven't started my JJ 3000's for quite some time now - maybe 2 years (??)

I'd like to give them another start-up, but I'm a bit concerned of the time lapse since their last outing - my main concern being corrosion.

I'm not sure which version of JJ 3000 I ended up with - the later ones are reputed to have come out with Iconel burner-boxes etc. That aside, there's probably other mild-steel components in there (I haven't pulled one down yet, so I don't now for sure).

Given that it's been a long while since I fired either of them up, do you guys think it's ok to spool-up as-is, or should I go searching/feeling for any key points that may pre-warn me of imminent failure?

Or do I just fuel-up, turn on the gas tap... and go for it?

BJ
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM
BJ64

Nope - not too close to the ocean.

And I've had my mounts wrapped in plastic bags for quite a while

But I am aware of the corrosive properties of Jet-A1 - not so much the parrafin itself, but the anti-freeze etc that goes into the fuel as well.

I'll take a bit of carefull eyeball to everything, and if all looks ok and I can't feel any 'bearing knock' or tight-spots etc, I'll give them a spool-up.

Once I've got ignition, I'll pay particular attention to the burn-pattern of the exhaust... listen and feel for anything unusual.... and keep on eye on things in general.

If it whumps or clanks or does anything unusual, I'll cut the fuel pump/s.

I'm well aware of the energy that goes on inside these things - just don't want to be on the receiving end of anything that goes awry...

BJ
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
CRX Turbines

BJ,

If it ran good then it'll be fine.. The fuel wont affect things.I think running it does more damage to the internals than anything else .. it is built to be an oil burner. If you do experienceissues whenyou run it, chances are there may have been something going on with it before you shut it down last.

Andy

Nope - not too close to the ocean.

And I've had my mounts wrapped in plastic bags for quite a while

But I am aware of the corrosive properties of Jet-A1 - not so much the parrafin itself, but the anti-freeze etc that goes into the fuel as well.

I'll take a bit of carefull eyeball to everything, and if all looks ok and I can't feel any 'bearing knock' or tight-spots etc, I'll give them a spool-up.

Once I've got ignition, I'll pay particular attention to the burn-pattern of the exhaust... listen and feel for anything unusual.... and keep on eye on things in general.

If it whumps or clanks or does anything unusual, I'll cut the fuel pump/s.

I'm well aware of the energy that goes on inside these things - just don't want to be on the receiving end of anything that goes awry...

BJ
Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 PM
toolmaker7341

Hey Andy where were you last Saturday? I left the jet meet around 3 pm.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 PM
CRX Turbines

Mike,

I was there both days, Saturdayand Sunday Saturday, I got there about 1:00 and left at around 4:00 I guess and Sunday was a wash. people were pulling out by I would say 2:00. The weather was great but a shame about the wind.

Andy
ORIGINAL: toolmaker7341

Hey Andy where were you last Saturday? I left the jet meet around 3 pm.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Xairflyer

Anyone know of any changes made to the size of the JJ1400 compressor in recent years ?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM
CRX Turbines

No change in the comp wheel

Andy

Originally Posted by Xairflyer
Anyone know of any changes made to the size of the JJ1400 compressor in recent years ?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Xairflyer

Thanks Andy I did think that as I have never seen anything on the Jetjoe website over the years, and all the ones I have worked on are the same.
Confussion has come from a UK importer who has a note on his site about checking the size of the intake to see if it has the new type compressor, gives a measurement of 42mm but nothing to say what it was previous.
I think they are classing the JJ1200 as the old type as it is the same turbine with a smaller compressor and front intake cover.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM
CRX Turbines

HI Xair,

The 1200 was turned into a 1400. I dont know of any other changes to the 1400 aside from different spacer on the rear of the compressor. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or call.

Andy

Thanks Andy I did think that as I have never seen anything on the Jetjoe website over the years, and all the ones I have worked on are the same.
Confussion has come from a UK importer who has a note on his site about checking the size of the intake to see if it has the new type compressor, gives a measurement of 42mm but nothing to say what it was previous.
I think they are classing the JJ1200 as the old type as it is the same turbine with a smaller compressor and front intake cover.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Xairflyer

Thanks Andy do you have any measurements for the spacers, I suspect the later one is longer to reduce the compressor/intake clearance
Old 10-19-2013, 08:52 PM
CRX Turbines

Xair

4.3 mm was the older spacer. 4.0mm now used. The thickness is smaller but the effect this has is to increase intake to comp wheel clearance.

Andy

Thanks Andy do you have any measurements for the spacers, I suspect the later one is longer to reduce the compressor/intake clearance
Old 10-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Xairflyer

Why would the clearance be increased? would this not be less efficent, unless the compressor was coming in contact with the intake?

Interesting I have both sizes of spacers in my spares box and didnt know they were different!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 PM
prahlad

Default Jj3000 not starting

Hi,

I have just purchased a jj3000 and assembled it ( DIY) and am using the ECU of the jj1800 which by the way is a great and smooth engine .

i have just swapped the jj3000 in place of the jj1800 and I have left the old ECU and the pump.

when I start the engine the rpm stagnates at 16000 and does not rise,can you say if the settings have to be enhanced for the 3000 or as per the manual which is the same parameters for the 1800

let me know if you have any ideas

regards

prahlad
Originally Posted by KJ-66
Hi BJ

Yes,silver solder melts easily,but works just fine on the injector needles. The vapouriser tubes are inconel and they have been flared at one end and installed into the rear end cap. The whole assembly is in a jig,ready to be tig welded.

Regards

Craig

Last edited by prahlad; 05-30-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.