Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 Conversion

Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM
bleinmiller
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 Conversion

After reading through some threads on 2.4 conversions, I have a few questions. I'm new to 2.4 so please bear with me.

I have two old Futaba Gold Box radios that I've used for years and would like to continue to use. One is the FP-T6FG/K with AM module and the other is the FP-T7FG/K with FM module.
Next are my 1024's. FP-T5UAP with FM module. Always been curious why PCM and FM radios use the same module, but I don't know much about electronics. I also have a 5UAP PCM with no external module. My question is, which of these can be converted and which ones can't? Thank you very much for any light you can shed on this subject for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 Conversion

You have to be able to turn the PCM off on the radios. What happens is if it is still on, the transmitter will send the PCM signal through the new 2.4 module just fine, but on the other end the new receiver has no clue how to decipher the PCM code. The PCM receivers could read the PCM code. If the module fits the Gold Futabas, it will work fine. The module is the radio part; everything else is about signal generation. The PCM code, just an encoded FM, is sent to the module; the module is the dumb part, just sending out radio waves. How you fed the module is what made it PCM or regular FM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Your modular 72 FM radios and be switched to 2.4 by using a 2.4 module of similar brand as the radio or one of the available aftermarket compatible 2.4 units like the FrSky.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

I considered converting my Futaba 9c to 2.4. But after doing some research I found that converting an old radio to 2.4 was not the way for me. The frame rate on the new equipment is usually faster than an old converted transmitter.

You will have to buy 2.4 receivers which ever way you go. So review 2.4 receiver cost before you make your decision.

If you only need the capability of a 6 channel system there are some very good low priced 2.4 systems on the market. The 8 channel system cost a bit more.

You old transmitters will continue to age. Might be time to say good bye. I did and never looked back.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:37 AM
JIMF14D

Sell those gold box thingies on Ebay and you will probably get enought to buy a serious 2.4 radio.
Good luck.
Jim D
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sawdust

I considered converting my Futaba 9c to 2.4. But after doing some research I found that converting an old radio to 2.4 was not the way for me. The frame rate on the new equipment is usually faster than an old converted transmitter.

You will have to buy 2.4 receivers which ever way you go. So review 2.4 receiver cost before you make your decision.

If you only need the capability of a 6 channel system there are some very good low priced 2.4 systems on the market. The 8 channel system cost a bit more.

You old transmitters will continue to age. Might be time to say good bye. I did and never looked back.
A 9C is only an 8 channel when converted to 2.4.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
TFF

Conversion with a FASST would not be the way to go, too expensive with those radios, but some of the off brands would be economical. I think the 5UAPs are only PCM and if so they can not be converted, even with module. You have to have a PPM signal from the radio.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 PM
bleinmiller
My Feedback: (4)

Thank you all, this is the kind of input I need. TFF, I'll have to look into my PCM radios a bit further to see which ones can be switched and which cannot. Of course, what it all comes down to in the end is the reliability of the conversion. FrSky is the one I hear the most about. If, after further research, I find that it is generally believed to be as reliable as a system such as the Futaba FASST, I may try it out. I'm hearing from some guys on RCScaleBuilder that have been using FrSky in their giant scale planes for 2 or 3 years now with no problems. Thanks again and keep the input coming!!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

All radios including PCM's can be converted to 2.4. If it has a trainer port you can get a module that will plug in there. If not, you will have too use an oscilloscope to find the frame before it gets converted to PCM. Probably best done by a technician.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

The T5UAP transmitter has a switch for selecting between PCM and PPM transmission modes and will work with the futaba 4.2 module when switched to PPM mode. I have that transmitter.

Bruce