Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Lightning STR....wow!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Hack u 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning STR....wow!

Ok this car drives and handles very well. It is fast and kicks *****. Besides the initial confusion of how to get rec and batteries to fit in compartment it is fun. This car could easliy be worth 300+ for the reasons of performance and handling...but it's affordable!!!!! Put me on record...I like it more than my NTC3 maybe because its new and pretty and th Associated is beat up and driven many many miles.....But if I had to make a choice between the 2 I would actually do the redcat!!! I am going to swap out the servos and will change the radio and reciever ( I love my DX3r). And will do a new body. I have decided to use this as my race platform for on road racing this year....starts in May...Redcat should be on trophy platform at least a few times this summer!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Lightning STR....wow!

i have the lightening epx pro. all stock, except i have a 35amp ezrun esc instead of the stock novatech unit.
run it on a 2s lipo and its wicked fast. its a very durable onroad as well.
wore out the stock tires after awhile.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run mine on 3S and the stock tires lasted a few min.
The following users liked this post:
RCRFan29 (06-19-2020)
Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Hack u 2

On the Electric Lightnings I like the Alunimum plate down center. I have the EPX drift and pro but I only took them out of box to inspect and look at. Yeah I am a bigger and bigger fan everyday for Redcat. How do the chassis hold up with all the rocks and debris...soft plastic/ hard. The ground clearance is nice on the STR.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hack u 2

On the Electric Lightnings I like the Alunimum plate down center. I have the EPX drift and pro but I only took them out of box to inspect and look at. Yeah I am a bigger and bigger fan everyday for Redcat. How do the chassis hold up with all the rocks and debris...soft plastic/ hard. The ground clearance is nice on the STR.
well, i got mine used.
when i moved the Rx, i damaged the antenna. it went 20feet from me, then took off WOT down the street. crossed a main street and then hit a house at full speed with a 2s lipo pack. car was fine, tho by the time i got to it the tires were completly worn down(from spinning all 4 tires while up against the house) the car's body was dented on the front.

i have also jumped this car off a skate board ramp with no damage.
my buddy has a tc3. now, the tc3 out handles the lightening for sure. but the tc3 also seems the break down every other time he takes it out. he has had the steering get jammed by rocks, the camber link break, the motor move and strip the spur and more.
with the exception of killing tires, the lightening holds up very well!

i have a couple of bodies for it, plus i have street/rally and drift tires for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32698.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1588390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17965.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1588391  
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM
electricrc68
Banned

that first pic looks amazing!!!! i have got to get myself an on-road.....maybe a tamiya kit to get the feel of a kit.....
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
SumoRcNoob

im thinking about replacing the 2.67cc engine in my Redcat Lightening STR with a 3.0cc engine from my Tornado S30. Has anyone done this?  aslo what othr mods have people done to their Redcat Lightening's??
Old 06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Shady9503

I personally have not replaced the stock .16 in the STR but i know someone who did, putting the SH .18 in the STR makes it a complete rocket, i couldnt believe it very much worth the upgrade
Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 AM
ou2mame

Its basically the hpi rs4,which has an 18 stock, so that power should be pretty decent from the sh18. I like that engine, if my rs4s 18 goes I'll throw in the sh18 i have laying around. I wonder how many rs4 parts fit. We used them on the tornado and short course cars we got.