Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Looking for a Small Car / Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
ER-95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Small Car / Truck

Hey guys,

I've got 2 trucks in mind. Either the Losi 1/36 Micro T or the Losi 1/24 Short Course Truck.

I like em both, it would be used just inside the house basically and jumped off home made ramps Only leaning slightly towards the trophy truck due to 4WD and oil filled shocks.

The Rides:

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...tCode=LOSB0240

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Team_Losi_1_36_Scale_Micro_T_RTR_Stadium_Truck_p/losb0230.htm

Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a Small Car / Truck

I own a 1/36th Micro High roller, and honestly can't recommend the 1/36th scales.
My MHR suffers from absolutely abominable range. I swear I think if it got 5 feet from me without interference it would have been far I live in a small city apartment and couldn't make it across the living room without standing up and taking a few steps closer to it.
That and couple it with the all in one electronics so I can't even swap it to a 2.4ghz setup without paying ludicrous price to losi(I think the RX board for 2.4ghz is like $90) makes it IMO that much worst. And due to the terrible range in the 2+ years I owned it I've driven it maybe 3 times total...

You could maybe use a brushed 1/18th scale indoors as they are only like 3 inches longer and wider than the 1/24th.

or the Redcat Racing Sumo Micro Crawler 1/24 looks interesting or sure if it uses standard 3 wire servos or the 4 wire like the stadium truck that shared its name uses. Only downside I see is it uses 4 AAA's (which was my gripe with the truck)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tremor isnt bad. depending on how big of an indoor area you have it could be driven indoors.
But of all the scales, 1/24 is the only one I would have to drive indoors. I honestly dont care for anything smaller than 1/10....but if I had to pick one to drive indoors it would be a 1/24.

For a crawler, Id like to try the losi trekker. its got a cool semi-scaler look to it. kinda pricey compared to the redcat sumo, but a different sort of crawler as well. Better electronics to. That said, ive seen some pretty cool modded sumo crawlers on youtube.

There is also the redcat sumo 1/24 buggy/truggy. They are just a touch bigger than the losi 1/24 and cause they have larger tires (not scale looking) they are better for jumping as they dont flip over as easy.
I had an earlier version that was great except for the limited radio range (very poor)
But the newer versons have a 2.4ghz setup, so I doubt they will suffer from the same issue mine did. There is a few decent upgrades availilble. They are not as fast out of the box as the losi...but a fair bit cheaper, as low as $58 on ebay. And they are really plenty fast for indoors.

The losi will have ball bearings, a larger motor (180 instead of 130) a 3 wire servo and not a 4 wire. If you want something you can go crazy upgrading, then the losi is a better platform. If you want something that will zip around the living room and hit jumps or drive outside in your driveway, then the redcat sumo will do the job without hurting the wallet.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 AM
ER-95

The range on the Micro-T pretty much scared me away..

Price limit of about $250. Any other recommendations? Doesn't have to be micro. For outdoor as well?

The Losi Mini Eight looks nice but to really wake it up, I would need about another $100 for the 2S Lipo and charger.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

there is also the HPI Racing 1/32 RS32 kinda want one, but haven't read any real reviews of them
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 AM
ER-95

The Team Associated RC18B2? Pretty nice price.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARKWWW&P=6
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ER-95

The range on the Micro-T pretty much scared me away..

Price limit of about $250. Any other recommendations? Doesn't have to be micro. For outdoor as well?

The Losi Mini Eight looks nice but to really wake it up, I would need about another $100 for the 2S Lipo and charger.
so, looking at minis? 1/18 or 1/16?
The slash 1/16 is kinda fun. The vxl version is much better...but if you can make a small backyard track then the brushed version can be lots of fun.

rc18 is the mini standby. Good all around chassis, very easy to work on. can handle brushless with a few upgrades.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM
ER-95

Double.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM
ER-95

Something that can be driven outside and inside. Can handle jumps and still fly down the street. The RC18 looks to be my fit. Gotta be brushless for speed and acceleration.

I want the most bang for my buck, is the RC18 the best option?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I have an original RC18b (shaft drive versus the RC18b2s belt)
find it quite durable, as I've hit it quite a few times and nothings broke

Will say one thing about brushless in this scale it is EXTREMELY hard to handle. I made my HPI recon brushless, and honestly that thing flew. Just note that smaller RC's if you hit them they will more then likely break more parts as they are smaller, have less material behind them, but the same speeds the larger scales crack up at.

After going brushless in the recon I will say my RC18 is staying brushed.
I've also made my merv brushed from BL too as that also was too hard to control IMO.

If you plan on running BL in the house you might end up driving the RC through the wall by accident as they go extremely damn fast
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
ER-95

LOL, I wouldn't go full throttle in the house. I see what your saying with smaller scales being less durable. Also not needing as much power due to weight and size.

Just when I do go outside, I wanna have that power ready.

Would you go with the Losi Eight Mini or Team AE RC18B2?