Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Should you belong to certain AMA clubs ? read on ...

ORIGINAL: pa_28r_200

Awesome...us heli guys aren't the only red-headed step children anymore. Get used to it, been dealing with the "you can't fly that here" since the early 90's. Just join multiple clubs and move along.....although I must admit it has gotten better.
Something for thought a year or so ago the AMA had put a bill through congress that the FAA could not regulate modelers that were a member
of a CBO aka AMA, Somehow I think the FAA will be kind nervious about exempting AMA members when they begain to look at how disjointed
they can be because of club restrictions to certain kinds of models.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can find a club that does not have>>ama>> members join it but i dont think you will so just take the club rules or go fly out on the desert where there are no rulesi think this talking about the ama>> the club rules> has been going on to long> accept what the people tell you or stop flying sorry that it the way i feel iam 81 and have been around a lot of clubs since 1940 to now>>
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: ira d

Awesome...us heli guys aren't the only red-headed step children anymore. Get used to it, been dealing with the ''you can't fly that here'' since the early 90's. Just join multiple clubs and move along.....although I must admit it has gotten better.
Something for thought a year or so ago the AMA had put a bill through congress that the FAA could not regulate modelers that were a member
of a CBO aka AMA, Somehow I think the FAA will be kind nervious about exempting AMA members when they begain to look at how disjointed
I don't think FAA will be nervous about exempting AMA members, ira; with the congressional directive that FAA not regulate modelers that are members of a CBO, the FAA giving special privileges to CBO members is meaningless. If CBO modelers find FAA regulation too restrictive, they could ignore FAA's rules, even those that grant them more privilege than hoi polloi citizens, per the edict from Congress. The NPRM, if ever released, will be telling but I think the 'dual path' crud that came out of AMA's involvement in the sUAS ARC is as good as dead.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM
[email protected]

where are the none {ama] clubs in what state
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 PM
pa_28r_200
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

if you can find a club that does not have>>ama>> members join it but i dont think you will so just take the club rules or go fly out on the desert where there are no rulesi think this talking about the ama>> the club rules> has been going on to long> accept what the people tell you or stop flying sorry that it the way i feel iam 81 and have been around a lot of clubs since 1940 to now>>
That's real easy to say when you can "go fly out on the desert where there are no rules". And it's not "rules" that are an issue. It is banning a particular type of aircraft for nothing more than a close minded attitude that they are different than the norm & they have no interest in flying (In my case heli's). Luckily that "dinosaur" mentality is slowly becoming extinct, or it is here anyway.

And I will say that one of the clubs I belong to cannot have turbines because it is on government land in a preserve and explicitly prohibited due to the fire potential. We can either take it that way or leave. We choose to stay. Maybe it will change someday, but for now we are pretty much locked into it.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM
ira d

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

Awesome...us heli guys aren't the only red-headed step children anymore. Get used to it, been dealing with the ''you can't fly that here'' since the early 90's. Just join multiple clubs and move along.....although I must admit it has gotten better.
I don't think FAA will be nervous about exempting AMA members, ira; with the congressional directive that FAA not regulate modelers that are members of a CBO, the FAA giving special privileges to CBO members is meaningless. If CBO modelers find FAA regulation too restrictive, they could ignore FAA's rules, even those that grant them more privilege than hoi polloi citizens, per the edict from Congress. The NPRM, if ever released, will be telling but I think the 'dual path' crud that came out of AMA's involvement in the sUAS ARC is as good as dead.
Me thinks you may very well be right.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM
ira d

where are the none {ama] clubs in what state
I think we all know that non AMA clubs are very very few and far between. occasionally you mayfind a place where a group of guys will fly
but these are uselly temporary and not suited to all types of models.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM
ira d

That's real easy to say when you can "go fly out on the desert where there are no rules". And it's not "rules" that are an issue. It is banning a particular type of aircraft for nothing more than a close minded attitude that they are different than the norm & they have no interest in flying (In my case heli's). Luckily that "dinosaur" mentality is slowly becoming extinct, or it is here anyway.

And I will say that one of the clubs I belong to cannot have turbines because it is on government land in a preserve and explicitly prohibited due to the fire potential. We can either take it that way or leave. We choose to stay. Maybe it will change someday, but for now we are pretty much locked into it.

And if the truth be known I would bet it's the club not the gov thats worried about the fire potential or at least they werent worried untill
someone suggested they worry.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
[email protected]

once club members get something in there head its hard to change i know a man who belongs to 3 clubs he does not like turbines and he raises a big stink about them so we can have them only about 3 months out of the year at my club>>
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
ira d

once club members get something in there head its hard to change i know a man who belongs to 3 clubs he does not like turbines and he raises a big stink about them so we can have them only about 3 months out of the year at my club>>
I know and thats why I think the AMA need to begain to work with clubs to try to overcome some ofthese issues.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
[email protected]

ill go along with that
Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 PM
astor dan
My Feedback: (32)

I havent heard the issue of potential fires. Our club is at an old military coverted to civilian airport in a unused portion of the field. It is a county ran airport and we have been at our field for over 20 years, with a great rapore with the county. we used to allow turbine jets however one got away one day and crashed into a large piece of woods ajacent to the field, It was terribly dry, the plane caught fire and the woods was so thick, they could not get to it quickly and it became a major fire taking several units and a lot of manpower to get under control. needless to say, turbine aircraft was permanently banned. Jets are still allowed but not with turbines. I know of several fields that have banned turbine jets because of the fire hazards.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
[email protected]

people who never seen a jet burn dont know how fast the woods or grass can burn i seen a free flight plane land and burn the wick that makes the elvator go up did not burn out so it caught the grass 3 sq. blocks burned befor the fire deptment got it out think ot a jet burning 2 or 3000 ft from the run way
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM
ira d

ORIGINAL: astor dan

I havent heard the issue of potential fires. Our club is at an old military coverted to civilian airport in a unused portion of the field. It is a county ran airport and we have been at our field for over 20 years, with a great rapore with the county. we used to allow turbine jets however one got away one day and crashed into a large piece of woods ajacent to the field, It was terribly dry, the plane caught fire and the woods was so thick, they could not get to it quickly and it became a major fire taking several units and a lot of manpower to get under control. needless to say, turbine aircraft was permanently banned. Jets are still allowed but not with turbines. I know of several fields that have banned turbine jets because of the fire hazards.
I wonder why your club is not worried about other types of models causing fires, A jet with lipos or any craft for that matter can start a fire as quick as aturbine. One thing
that have learned over the years is that many problems need to beapproached from more than one way and the best solution is taking ideas from all involved at least in
many cases.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
rctech2k7

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

ORIGINAL: rctech2k7

One of my club is a jet club http://www.makosrcjetclub.com/ but it allows any other models to fly there like heli, 3D, park flyer and more... There's nothing can compare if every member can fly their own aircraft.
that's basically how it is in my area. fly what you bring . no restrictions as long as you follow the field rules and AMA's rules except for two clubs
Hopefully they would do the same for jets whenever as possible. I have another club right now which are willing for change as there are more and more who accept this modern propulsion though everyone once in a while can see different kinds of aircraft at the field...
Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 PM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

These B.S. rules are all the result of this LIB crap we live under today. The ideal that if something is perceived to be a risk then it must be outlawed. Pretty soon RC itself will probably be outlawed because the libs have found out they can be used as bomb carriers. We have already seen the FAA getting their hand into the RC airplane thing coming up the BS rules. This is all due to LIBs I tell ya.
I for one am sick of Libs and their BS
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM
j41captn
My Feedback: (5)

you funny.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
rctech2k7

I wonder why your club is not worried about other types of models causing fires, A jet with lipos or any craft for that matter can start a fire as quick as a turbine. One thing
that have learned over the years is that many problems need to be approached from more than one way and the best solution is taking ideas from all involved at least in
many cases.
They might need to make an emergency respond plan for potential fire and prepare suitable fire fighting equipment. As it well said here that anything present of ignition regardless of the source, with combustible material and fresh air can cause fire. If they will open their mind and learn this engine they will find how safe and reliable it is. Of course we have to understand that this engine because of its power and capability it can cause damage if mishandle this is why to be a turbine jet pilot is not just having a higher level of fun and excitement but it comes with responsibility. Well, anything regardless of the size a long as it has energy and power requires care.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM
astor dan
My Feedback: (32)

In our case of the serious fire we had, it was not the club that banned turbines, It was the county commission that mandated no more turbines. You know if you want to continue with the relation ship you have and continue to use the beautiful field we have, ya kinda gotta to go along with their wishes. I personally love the turbine jets as they are beautiful to watch. I do get it however that the speed they obtain and the masaive amount of room required for them that you just cant fly them at every field. We also had a problem of altidude restrictions. being so close to normal airport traffic we had a 400 ft restriction.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM

I know and thats why I think the AMA need to begain to work with clubs to try to overcome some of these issues.
I'm not sure what the AMA can do, short of issuing edicts, to "try to overcome some of these issues".
Is that what we want?
Compare it to the federal government.
I prefer "states' rights", myself.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

I wonder why your club is not worried about other types of models causing fires, A jet with lipos or any craft for that matter can start a fire as quick as a turbine. One thing
that have learned over the years is that many problems need to be approached from more than one way and the best solution is taking ideas from all involved at least in
many cases.
My hunch is that given the popularity of Li-Po powered aircraft,
versus the relative scarcity of turbine powered, electric aircraft fires, percentage-wise, are much rarer.
Just an opinion, tho.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our club just banned FPV and autonomous aircraft last month. That is an aspect of the hobby that could get us in trouble, so we separated ourselves from it. Even though the AMA (for now) has rules regarding them. We are just protecting ourselves from what is to come, since our membership is not involved with that aspect of the hobby.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
[email protected]

there are 50 emails on this club deal about turbines >> why dont we just drop it >> stop your crying>> the clubs have the right to say no turbines>> been that way for years now your not going to get anywhere crying about it get the guys together and lease your own field
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen turbines fly on one occasion. This was at Scobee Field on the west side of Houston. I was there for a control line contest to be held in the control line part of the field the next day. I was the only CL flier there and it was quite windy, so I went over to the RC field where a couple of turbine guys were flying. One very experienced, the other fairly new. I was impressed that their setups were quite complex. Preparing for a flight took a good while. They seemed very careful and meticulous in what they were doing. When one would start his airplane, the other stood by with a fire extinguisher. Only problem they had was one airplane lost its brakes and rolled about a hundred yards past the end of the runway. It was just flat mowed grass, so no problem.

Charley Bauer has a control line scale U2 with a turbine. I've never seen it fly.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
lorenzofgrs
My Feedback: (-1)

Come to MEXICO,
No ama rules, jets can be flown in every club, no limits no problem......just be nice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.