Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

Love hearing of all the success!
Hey Dave, I don't remember where it was in this thread, but I remember you siliconing the wire that connects to the steering bolts on the nose strut. I'm guessing they can rotate & hinder operation if not siliconed? Do you always do this, or only if a problem exist?
Thanks, Jay

Yes, with the gear down I silicon around the wire and steering posts. When the gear retracts the wires stay inline with the pin and like this I don't need bands or springs. They form a 'wave pattern'

If you look at the bottom shots of my model, you can see perfect dear operation as no scuffs [8D]

Dave
Sounds good, Thanks Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andrew Bird

I got 6 flights in yesterday in some lovely weather (including one flight where I got a bit carried away and managed to land with the main tanks empty and UAT half empty ). The plane is fantastic!
This thread is turning into a love-fest! I'll join in and say I can't believe what a reliable, gorgeous, great flying machine this is. Here's some pics from the other day. Take a look at that sweet swept V-stab. Eat your heart out boys.. . . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79569.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1886056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68214.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	1886057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13572.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1886058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79630.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1886059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95849.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1886060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq95726.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1886061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eh79163.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1886062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec99416.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1886063  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Db55849.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1886064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hu90098.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1886065  
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM
rcand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cbooth1979

Hi,

So just to confirm, is everyone balancing with the model upright? I always balanced it upside down with the gear up. I was thinking of moving my cg back a bit but wanted to make sure were all on the same page as far as how were balancing it
Many years ago an Aeronautical engineer told me when balancing models, to consider the center of mass. So with the UF, which has a low wing and think about where the turbine weight is, above the wing, also thr massive vertical stab, you balance upside down.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Yeah I have always balanced every low wing plane upside down. I balanced upside down for the the first flight, then after the repair I balanced upright since everyone was doing it that way. I balanced at 230mm each time and feel no difference in the way it flys.

ORIGINAL: rcand

ORIGINAL: cbooth1979

Hi,

So just to confirm, is everyone balancing with the model upright? I always balanced it upside down with the gear up. I was thinking of moving my cg back a bit but wanted to make sure were all on the same page as far as how were balancing it
Many years ago an Aeronautical engineer told me when balancing models, to consider the center of mass. So with the UF, which has a low wing and think about where the turbine weight is, above the wing, also thr massive vertical stab, you balance upside down.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM
TUMBLER

When I got the plane the gear worked great, but my buddy told me he had silicone the steering cables. I did it but then it made the wheel turn. Never could figure out why, so I picked it all off and went back to rubber bands pulling the cables apart upon retraction. I know the silicone method works, but for some reason it messed mine up.

Love hearing of all the success!
Hey Dave, I don't remember where it was in this thread, but I remember you siliconing the wire that connects to the steering bolts on the nose strut. I'm guessing they can rotate & hinder operation if not siliconed? Do you always do this, or only if a problem exist?
Thanks, Jay

Yes, with the gear down I silicon around the wire and steering posts. When the gear retracts the wires stay inline with the pin and like this I don't need bands or springs. They form a 'wave pattern'

If you look at the bottom shots of my model, you can see perfect dear operation as no scuffs [8D]

Dave
Sounds good, Thanks Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

The Behotec gear has no centring. You are supposed to put a length of 3mm robart tube (3mmlong) in the M4 tapped hole and nip the set screw with loctite on that to add a small amount of friction. This holds the leg straight.

Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 PM
izzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Behotec gear has no centring. You are supposed to put a length of 3mm robart tube (3mmlong) in the M4 tapped hole and nip the set screw with loctite on that to add a small amount of friction. This holds the leg straight.

Dave
Dave. I lost u there. What is this from. I did not do anything like this or know what you are referring too
I did silicon the standoffs but what is the 3mm robart tube for
Can u elaborate
Thanks
Izzy
Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Dave Wilshere

Izzy

The nose leg has no centring sprint. So to stop the nose leg "freely" pivoting, use the tapped set screw hole in the yoke/trunion and place a short length of tube in the hole and nip the set screw down on it. This ads friction to the pin and will stop the leg turning

Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a picture of it in the manual that came with the gear. It's not in English but the picture explains it all

Parker
Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 PM
izzy

ORIGINAL: BoomerSooner

There was a picture of it in the manual that came with the gear. It's not in English but the picture explains it all

Parker
my gear did not come witha set of instructions
thats why i dis not see this

thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
BlueBus320

Does anyone have a pic of this? Or even a pic of the pic in their gear manual? I get the big idea (stop the strut from rotating while retracted), but the details are a bit fuzzy to me.
Thanks, Jay
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Dave Wilshere

If you are level when the gear is retracted its not an issue as the trailing link leg "flies straight"

Heavy grease on the pin works as well

Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks Dave, I think I got it though. Doesn't seem like it will show in pics if I understand right. basically just insert a small piece of tubing into the setscrew hole, then put in the setscrew with thread lock & only tighten enough to create friction on the strut. I guess your servo will easily overcome the friction & strut will not rotate. Correct?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Dave Wilshere

Thanks Dave, I think I got it though. Doesn't seem like it will show in pics if I understand right. basically just insert a small piece of tubing into the setscrew hole, then put in the setscrew with thread lock & only tighten enough to create friction on the strut. I guess your servo will easily overcome the friction & strut will not rotate. Correct?

Yes...exactly that. Just a little friction all that is needed.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 PM
BlueBus320

Excellent, thank you much sir
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 AM
spike5150

Picture 12 shows the tubing/friction setup for the nose gear centering.

http://www.altecare.com/c36c50manual.pdf

Also these are English instructions that seem to match the German ones supplied by CARF with their set. Main struts are not the same, though.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
BlueBus320

ORIGINAL: spike5150

Picture 12 shows the tubing/friction setup for the nose gear centering.

http://www.altecare.com/c36c50manual.pdf

Also these are English instructions that seem to match the German ones supplied by CARF with their set. Main struts are not the same, though.
Thanks for posting Spike!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st Flight today at Phoenix MFC
Awesome jet can't wait for next time.

Name:	Hf98703.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	1887971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61657.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	1887972  
Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul0088

1st Flight today at Phoenix MFC
Awesome jet can't wait for next time.
Really like that color scheme Paul!!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Dave Wilshere

Working on a new scheme UF. Nose door detail. I open the fuselage hole and then cut the door to fit. From here,I'll reduce the door size to give me 0.5mm clearance on the sides and 1mm front/back

Last weekend with Ian George's Pinky. One flight running out of fuel low, showed what an amazing aeroplane this is...

Name:	He97236.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1888862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13234.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1888863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31240.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1888864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21414.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1888865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju11963.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1888866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri69508.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1888867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik92205.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1888868  
Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Thruster

Hi Dave - nice pics and good day’s flying other than the squeaky moment you mention!!

Mind you on reflection self induced due to not filling the wing tank []

That said I was amazed, as were the bystanders at how the UF handled the situation – was doing a medium/slow speed low pass and having got parallel with myself went to throttle up and……………………………nothing. Major panic moment trying to work things out but converting what speed there was to height and then hauling her backside right on the stall (in clean configuration), round ¾ of a tight circuit to get her back to the strip (narrow grass strip with fences etc) – straight ahead landing at the point of issue was out of the question as there was a road at the end! The surrounding terrain was seriously unforgiving and would have resulted in UF fragments for sure.

Even with her power off, slow and near the stall feeling the elevator, never once felt like she was going to drop out or do anything silly – very stable throughout.

All comments were in the vein of “Thought that was a goner” but wow and that was from other experienced jet jockeys.

I learnt so much in those few seconds and just that flight was worth the purchase.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 PM
paulhat

Hi Thruster.

Nice save!!
Did you use flaps at all on final?
I have been thinking of what I would do if in the same situation as you.
Was thinking that if I had enough airspeed flaps would probably help (take off flaps not landing)
What do you think ?

Paul.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM
TUMBLER

Here is mine flying at The First in Flight Rally. Nothing special but the pass at 2:25 shows it still moves pretty good on only 22lbs of thrust. Flew it 14 times there and got comfortable with the landings but then flying at my home field was a whole different story. Have to come in over trees and land on a runway that needs another couple hundred feet to be safe. I have since added more flap and it is better but you have to be perfect every time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=IeLIOPTyWi0
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Thruster

ORIGINAL: paulhat

Hi Thruster.

Nice save!!
Was thinking that if I had enough airspeed flaps would probably help (take off flaps not landing)
What do you think ?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I would agree if height/airspeed was available then I would have used T/O flap - in fact I did deploy flap when turning finals but she slowed and would have fallen short of the strip as I was very low and as mentioned the surrounding terrain was not friendly, so popped them away and she came in clean. I also elected to belly land her on the grass but could have popped the UC if needed. She came to a halt quite quickly and about 30foot inside the threshold, that’s how close it was.

It was one of those situations where there were few options but the plane really helped as she floated and never misbehaved – I am sure that had it have been one of my other models the outcome would have been matchwood.

It’s strangely given me a comfort factor with the UF now, just a very exciting way to get it!

Ian
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
paulhat

ORIGINAL: Thruster

ORIGINAL: paulhat

Hi Thruster.

Nice save!!
What do you think ?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I would agree if height/airspeed was available then I would have used T/O flap - in fact I did deploy flap when turning finals but she slowed and would have fallen short of the strip as I was very low and as mentioned the surrounding terrain was not friendly, so popped them away and she came in clean. I also elected to belly land her on the grass but could have popped the UC if needed. She came to a halt quite quickly and about 30foot inside the threshold, that’s how close it was.

It was one of those situations where there were few options but the plane really helped as she floated and never misbehaved – I am sure that had it have been one of my other models the outcome would have been matchwood.

It’s strangely given me a comfort factor with the UF now, just a very exciting way to get it!

Ian
Thanks for that Ian.
Yes it definitely sounds like you got away with that one nicely

Stalled my first UF (100% pilot error) while trying to get the gear to come out (gear was stuck up and I fly off a dirt strip that would have messed up the belly bad).
In hindsight I was flying real slow when it stalled. Quite amazing really.

Hope I never have a flame out with the UF. If I do I will remember your post

Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.