Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it?

So i got a plane at a barn sale. Dont know the brand of the plane but it has a O.S. Max FX 46. I doesnt have a fuel tank or any electronics. Half of the main wing needs to be recoated.

They guy said he had less than an hour run time on it. I beleive that because the motor looks brand spanking new.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is it?

I'm going to guess a kit built Goldberg Eagle !
It's a 46 size trainer and will be a nice flier when finished.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
littlemel

Any idea what its worth in the condition it sits in?   I recently got into flying with a Ares Gamma 370.   Dont know if I want to keep this plane due to the fact that if/when i crash its not as easily rebuildible  as a foamy.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe $100.00.
If you fly electric you could sell the engine for around $70-80.00 and then convert the plane to electric, finish the wing covering, install some servos and fly it.  It's a trainer so it will float nice and will fly and land nice. Sure it is more work to repair after a crash but stick-built planes fly nicer than foamies.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 PM
littlemel

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Maybe $100.00.
If you fly electric you could sell the engine for around $70-80.00 and then convert the plane to electric, finish the wing covering, install some servos and fly it. It's a trainer so it will float nice and will fly and land nice. Sure it is more work to repair after a crash but stick-built planes fly nicer than foamies.
Thats what I figuered price wise. Engine is the most valued thing, plane is almost a give away. I'll definatly give some thought as to make it electric.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the wingspan is around 62 inchs then it is a .40 sized trainer however that engine appears to be grossly oversized for that airplane, perhaps is optical illusion but I suspect the airplane is actually an older .25 sized trainer. So what is the wingspan?

John
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is odd.. it looks like a Goldberg Eagle 2, which has a 63" wingspan.. .29 to .45 two stroke... but that .46 does look huge
that airplane will surprise the heck out of you if you've flown nothing but foamie's. very VERY stable and easy airplane to fly.
Even if you're committed to electric only, (and nothing wrong with that mind you ) that airplane will fly beautifully, assuming it's not warped and doesn't weigh a ton.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM
littlemel

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

that is odd.. it looks like a Goldberg Eagle 2, which has a 63" wingspan.. .29 to .45 two stroke... but that .46 does look huge
that airplane will surprise the heck out of you if you've flown nothing but foamie's. very VERY stable and easy airplane to fly.
Even if you're committed to electric only, (and nothing wrong with that mind you ) that airplane will fly beautifully, assuming it's not warped and doesn't weigh a ton.
Wingspan is about 48 inches. Im not against flying glow at all, its just that Im not very experianced with flying yet. Nitro engines are a blast. I will say though that the nose of this plane is really heavy, granted you would have electronics further back, but I think almost too heavy?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: littlemel

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

that is odd.. it looks like a Goldberg Eagle 2, which has a 63'' wingspan.. .29 to .45 two stroke... but that .46 does look huge
Wingspan is about 48 inches. Im not against flying glow at all, its just that Im not very experianced with flying yet. Nitro engines are a blast. I will say though that the nose of this plane is really heavy, granted you would have electronics further back, but I think almost too heavy?

With a 48 inch wingspan that .46 is WAY overkill on a trainer lol.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM
littlemel

I will go measure but its close to 48
Measured it. 50"
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: littlemel

I will go measure but its close to 48
Measured it. 50''

That confirms it as I suspected it is .25 sized airplane and very well could be a Goldberg but that really does not matter. If you try to fly with that engine it will be awful and I seriously doubt whoever did that, actually flew it. Now if you are interested in flying it as a glow ship and that just might be far more interesting to you from your posts.

What you need is a good 25 and they are everywhere most all old modelers have them in drawers and things. That 46FX is very marketable or better yet barter. I could have that engine traded for a great 25 in minutes at almost any RC club meeting.

That airplane will fly wonderfully if you just get the right engine and the repairs are just hanger damage very easily fixed with plenty of help right here but also do not be afraid to get involved with your local club where mentorship is always avalible for the asking.

John
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM
littlemel

Thanks for all the info guys!  Anybody interested in the motor?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

50inch span, Goldberg Eaglet.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
stinson sr-9f

IT is A EAGLET with ail added .I learned to fly on one at the age of 9 very easy going fun with A o..s25 .
Old 06-05-2013, 04:04 PM
DeferredDefect

I believe it is a Carl Goldberg Eaglet, a smaller version of their Eagle, with a 50 inch wingspan. 

They were to be using .09 to 20 sized engines, though, if I remember correctly - anything over a 40 would scream!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

You can pick up a .25 size engine very cheap, check the ads on RCU or go to a swap meet.
If you want to stick with nitro, keep the engine. You will very likely need it later and be sorry if you sell it now.

I have 2 of these and they are great. Once you master the trainer, you want a low wing trainer and
there are tons of 40 size planes out there, the 46 would be a great match here.

Once you fly these, you won't go back to your foamy
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

Once you fly these, you won't go back to your foamy

yup what he said
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
CafeenMan

Flying it with that engine may have something to do with why there is no covering on one wing. Bet it will go straight up though.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Kit built models are not difficult to repair, perhaps even easier than most foamies.  Plus you can repair them to look like new instead of beat up.   but that engine is way to much for that plane.  But do keep it and put it on a 4-Star 40 or Tiger 2.  They are both great low-wing trainers.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like most have said, get a 25 or 35 size engine for it and go fly. Save that engine for another plane later.

When you cover the rest of the wing ~~ do it in another color, that way it stands out when you are flying. Red would work good .

Also the spring on the nose gear is backwards . lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Lol! Good catch, Red. 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM
littlemel

ORIGINAL: red head

Like most have said, get a 25 or 35 size engine for it and go fly. Save that engine for another plane later.

When you cover the rest of the wing ~~ do it in another color, that way it stands out when you are flying. Red would work good .

It has steerble nose gear, with no linkages hooked to it. Now you guys got me thinking......nitro or electric? I could get some setups for both cheap.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Go to a local club and have the plane looked over. There are probably some more flaws you haven't seen yet.
Electric or nitro has been discussed here a lot and it is your personal preference.

I have both and I like the convenience of electric flying, no mess, no starting issues, no needle adjustments, dead sticks are rare.

But I really like the glow and gas engines, it's fascinating how these little machines work, I'd try a steam engine if there weren't so heavy [8D]

And they make noise, wunderbar !

Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Trainers with lots of power are fun to fly...

Bob
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 AM
exocet-RCU

The first plane I built totally by myself was a Goldberg Eaglet in 1984. I flew it with an Enya .15 and a 7x6 prop. It flew amazingly well with no bad characteristics. The .15 was plenty of power for it. Nice memories.