Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Old magazines vs current generation magazines

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old magazines vs current generation magazines

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old magazines vs current generation magazines

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

The publishers will only publish what will sell. If that is only dumbed down, that is what you get.

Les
Maybe, but to fly at most fields you have to be a member of the AMA. If not for that reason I wouldn't be a member. The magazine is forced on me whether I want it or not and I can tell you I would never buy it or subscribe otherwise.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my MAs in the recycle bin. It has been suggested to have them sent to a school or library. I don't do that because MA does not represent model aviation as I practice it. I have MA back to about 1975, and it brings a tear to my eye to read those old issues and compare them with the present magazine.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Its a real job to design,build and test an airplane then make drawings for it and write an article for it. It can take many months. All that work could be worth several thousand dollars. For which a Magazine will pay maybe $100 to publish it.
You do that once and never again.
So all magazines get is reviews.
You want the old days? Then send in your designs.
In 1973 I wrote an article for RCM. It took many months and was just an article,not a design.
I had to prod them to get any pay for it. They said I was now a published author in a national magazine. Big Deal.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Its a real job to design,build and test an airplane then make drawings for it and write an article for it. It can take many months. All that work could be worth several thousand dollars. For which a Magazine will pay maybe $100 to publish it.
You do that once and never again.
So all magazines get is reviews.
You want the old days? Then send in your designs.
Have you seen what they pay?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

See my edited post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, the type of engine review I really miss...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 AM
RCSCALEGUY

Reason magazines may suck to most of us is that they are not directed or marketed to modelers. The magazines of 2013 are directed at Hamburger, Cheese Burger crowd. Do you want pickles, mustard, lettuce?
What I mean as most people who consider themselves modeler only build ARF's. ARF+glueâ‰*does not equal a builder. Someone who forms that radius on the stab, develops that perfect hinge line, gets the incidence on the wing perfect, mounts the firewall with a few degrees of down and right thrust. Ask ARFer's about that and they know nothing, all they do is B and complain it doesn't fly right. Well if they had learned to build as kids like I did, I had type written manuals. I had to read it, plans they were half size not even full size. Then open a box of wood and dream of flying. Can I get some sprinkles on my donuts. Well I agree that the modeler is not marketed to, but society in RC says I want it now. So you get to fly your ice chest, or models built on the other side of the water with what ever materials are available. You don't get to pick the balsa, What there are grades of balsa? I have a stash of old model magazines, and the writers had balls to say it like it was back in the day. Now they have to tame it down because everything is good, RIGHT "PC"! Well that's what were left to believe, but any modeler knows something that is built well flys well. And there is no pride like building and flying a model that flys well. I built that bird. She flys just as good as she looks. Cookie cutter eat your heart out!

IMO
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Hey, don't any of you remember Model Builder Magazine. It was published for 25 years!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM
CafeenMan

The answer is that if you want to be a builder and you want to learn more then the internet is your friend because the model airplane media isn't. I like to gripe about it but I'm not going to let it stop me from getting what I want out of model-building.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM
ssautter

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

I read RCM for nearly 20 years and I was still learning from it.
You do outgrow magazines when you attain a certain level of experience.
Hopefully you outgrew typing with one hand....
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Don't know why you'd subscribe to a magazine where you can get all the information on the internet for free.  If I want something to read on the toilet, I'll buy me a tablet.  I miss the old magazines too, though.  I still buy old magazines when I come across some good ones with articles I'm interested in, no matter how old the info.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I like MA. They've made great changes over the past few years. I like the way that it is turning out though it could have more construction articles in it (though they would be popular only with a relative minority right now).

Oneaew, here's that April 1987 RCM magazine cover that you wanted to share. The Enforcer was a design by Laddie Mikulasko of Canada. The girls are his twin daughters, Marilyn and Beatrice. They've graced a lot of RCM covers - I remember one that goes back to when they were about 12 - 13 years old. Very pretty girls... Here's the cover.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51737.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	1889435  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

thank you i have built about 5 of them > two with os 91 engines and the rest with the ducted fans on them i just sold my last on last year very good flying planes and i still got the magazine on my prfile on on this site is a picture of my last one this takes me back a few years i just turned 81 in may
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
c5boy

M.A.N. has way too many electric and helicopter articles. "I believe they have their own magazines." The AMA mag looks nice now. But now they have the scale and giant scale sections only every other month. So whats the point. I too like the scale mags. from the UK.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
N1EDM

You'll have to explain the origins of your handle... to me, AEW means Airborne Electronic Warfare... Did you have anything to do with that.

I'll have to re-read that article - the whole magazine for that matter. That was when a magazine article was a magazine article.

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

aew>> is the first letter in my names
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
JKinTX

Exactly WHERE have they changed any in all these decades? You still have a bunch of dumb-a**** paid to write and produce articles and products to another bunch of the same stripe that think the first bunch is somehow better and smarter than they are.
What is the difference?
The answer is in who controls the $s involved...

JAK

Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: EloyM

Hey, don't any of you remember Model Builder Magazine. It was published for 25 years!
Yes, and I have a stack full of them sitting on my book shelves and they are as dead as a concrete lawn jockey too!

JAK
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM
N1EDM

Do you guys have any issues dating back, say, to the early 90's or earlier? I'd suggest that you read a few of those issues, then come back and read a present day magazine. I think that the earlier magazines were aiming at a higher audience, and they hit it beautifully. Nowadays, I don't think that their aim is as high. Personally, I liked the more technical articles from back then.

Today, you get a banner on a magazine cover that talks about installing, say, wheel well doors. When you get to the article itself, it seems to leave a lot to be desired in the lack of detail or explanation...

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
JKinTX

I have them dating all the way the back to the 1940's and there is NO such animal as you claim. The exact same crowd is at the top and bottom of the ladder both then and now.

JAK
Old 06-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Profile Pilot

I miss RCM. I am coming back from a 9 year break from the hobby and was kinda shocked to see that RCM was no longer. But so are the good local hobby shops that I used to go to. Many of the magazines that are around seem to be going electrics and ARFs, which is cool for those that like those. I am glad to have RCU so I can search for what I am interested in because I don't seem to find a lot of it in the magazines that are on the newsstands today.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Do you guys have any issues dating back, say, to the early 90's or earlier? I'd suggest that you read a few of those issues, then come back and read a present day magazine. I think that the earlier magazines were aiming at a higher audience, and they hit it beautifully. Nowadays, I don't think that their aim is as high. Personally, I liked the more technical articles from back then.

Today, you get a banner on a magazine cover that talks about installing, say, wheel well doors. When you get to the article itself, it seems to leave a lot to be desired in the lack of detail or explanation...

Just my $.02

Bob
Bob, the problem lies in the word count....most articles have a limit and that limit TODAY is a problem....in the 'old' days the editors LIKED longer articles!

Jerry
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Cycotravlr

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I must admit that at my ripe old adge of 59 I am very new at the Sport/Hobby if RC airplanes.  I am a member of the AMA amd do enjoy reading their magazine.  That being said, Building is my primary enjoyment of this hobby.  I read Model Aviation because there is still so much to learn.  Sadly, every magazine I read, MA or any other, has more to do with Electrics or ARF's, than building.  It appears to me that the modeling industry is going to bury itself through it's own greed.  ARF's are fine for many people, but if more emphasis must be placed on the art and craft of building or this hobby will be lost and only be something the rich and famous can talk about.

Thank you,
Perry
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 AM
CafeenMan

PSB - I very strongly disagree. There will always be builders - people like you and I who love to build. There are kids today who have been subjected to almost nothing but ARFs who are building. It will all be ok. Really.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nothing from sig or any of the kit makers either....I noticed that as well...

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

The actual MAN has a nice cover. Took a while to see the plane...

But the 'buyers guide' makes me wonder. No Futaba equipment or engines from OS, Magnum, DLE, DA, just to name a few.
Looks like Cox, Saito, Evolution and Zenoah are the only engine makers...

Does this seem like a guide or maybe nothing but a bunch of paid ads?

It stinks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.