Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Trailer rash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailer rash?

I know minivans are the ideal vehicle for hauling equipment to pattern contests. I have given them a little consideration lately. However I need a truck and am not in the position to own two vehicles. A trailer is perfect for me as it can be used to haul things like lawn tractors and motorcycles and tools, and during pattern season I can leave my gear in it after 5 hour drives home from contests.

I am going to drive my truck for another year and buy another truck after my next yearly salary increase. I hope to have a trailer before Nats. If anyone knows a good place between Cincinnati and Virginia to buy a trailer, I'm all ears.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I know minivans are the ideal vehicle for hauling equipment to pattern contests. I have given them a little consideration lately. However I need a truck and am not in the position to own two vehicles. A trailer is perfect for me as it can be used to haul things like lawn tractors and motorcycles and tools, and during pattern season I can leave my gear in it after 5 hour drives home from contests.

I am going to drive my truck for another year and buy another truck after my next yearly salary increase. I hope to have a trailer before Nats. If anyone knows a good place between Cincinnati and Virginia to buy a trailer, I'm all ears.
Joe, [link=http://www.cargotrailersales.com/index.html]here's one[/link] in southeast PA, a bit out of the way but perhaps worth it if you can get exactly what you want by 'rolling your own' with a custom design.

Probably something similar closer to where you live, found with a little googling.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Jetdesign

Thanks, I'll check it out. It was suggested to me to find a facility that manufactures trailers to eliminate the 'middle man' - there are a few trailer places around here, but you pay for it to be displayed and listed.

BTW, a 6cyl RAM 1500 gets basically the same mpg as a Dodge Caravan. I thought that was cool to find, makes me feel better about a full-size truck. They have the same engine.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Joe,

You'll definitely be better off getting a full size truck.  A trailer is just something else you have to manage, find parking for, and sell for a big loss once you tire of it.  Also, every time you hit a bump, piece of road trash, or railroad tracks with a trailer you're risking tearing up your plane.  Even if the fuse is fully secured, you can still tear the motor out - I think you engineers call it "free body diagram analysis"?

Besides, chicks dig guys who drive a full size truck. . .
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM
cdodom

You could do this!!!

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...194047271.html

You could probably get to NATS really quick!!!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 AM
lenhard2007
My Feedback: (6)

just bought a 2014 stealth trailer and very glad i did. i used velcrow straps and picture frame hooks that are screwed down to hold everything in place
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75134.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1889338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40077.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1889339  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Best two days of my RC life, the day I bought my trailer and the day I sold it.

They're a major PITA in every way outside of sitting at the house or field. Finding a parking spot anywhere you go, even at some fields not to mention the hotel and steakhouse.

I bought a Montana van with blown head gaskets 3 years ago for a song and repaired it and now have driven it for years, including a trip to the Nats and it gets 26mpg. My truck sits at home and collects dust as it gets 16 mpg, 12 towing that damn trailer. The van, with the seats removed, 3 airplanes with stabs on isn't a problem along with all the gear for two guys and luggage.

I now use this minivan and it's the best of worlds for me, the guys that buy a big truck and then add a shell to the rear might have well bought a van. The only thing that truck can do (RC wise) is tow that big trailer. The van can even tow a small trailer easily. During the flying season I often leave my airplane in the van for weeks at a time because my flying field is on the way home from work and I can stop in and fly a flight. I bring the batts into the shop and charge while at work.

I'll likely never own another trailer but I've had my eye on a Ford Flex for sometime now..........................

My kids think I should pay for their college before airplanes, the nerve of some kids........

Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
barron

I bought a Ford E-250 cargo van. I can put 3 1/5 scale warbirds support equipment plus other gear.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Mastertech
. . [snip].. .

They're a major PITA in every way outside of sitting at the house or field. .
. .[snip]. . . it gets 16 mpg, 12 towing that damn trailer. . .[snip]. .
They can even be a PITA sitting outside your house if the Homeowners Association gets "up in your grill" about it . . .
Forgot about the MPG hit as well . . . ugh . . .
I have a topper on my truck, however I'm almost an empty-nester and it has a crew cab . . .

Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Silver Bullet

If you must have a pick up, you might look at a Chevy Avalanche. They quit making them this year so you'll have to get a used one. Remove the rear bulkhead, leaving in the rear window, lower the rear seat, and you have the full bed length plus the area that had the back seat. There is a locking bed cover so everything can be secured, out of sight and protected from the elements. Best of both worlds.
Cadillac also might have had its own version.
They aren't cheap though.

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

I don't know how that "soccer mom" stigma became so inextricably attached to minivans, but I wanted one years ago when we could have only one vehicle and it was my wife who insisted never-never-NEVER!!!!
I'll hazard a guess and say neither she nor you play soccer?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 AM
cmoulder

Nope!

But, from Seinfeld, not that there's anything wrong with it.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Jetdesign

JR, what brand trailer did you guys have at the field? The only reasonably priced trailer with a side door I can find around here is a Homesteader 5x8 for $1750. There are a few nice trailers (Haulmark, Look) for a lot less but no side door.

Decisions, decisions. I am getting tired of making them. I don't really want to buy a new truck or van until I have to, hopefully I can get to another pay raise before I need to do that. Trailer is at least a temporary solution. I don't have a car payment, so I'd prefer not to add one yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM
svrcp
My Feedback: (1)

Joe mine is a Homesteader 5x8 , I can check for you down here if you like. If you get one side door is a MUST. 1800 was the going price a few years back. Hope you enjoy flying in valley , thanks for coming down and jioning us at contest. See you again next year.

Jr
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jason Arnold

Here's some pictures of my model trailer. In this instance we fitted three 2m pattern ships in it for the 9 hour trip from Sydney to Shepparton, Victoria for the Masters.

I would normally fit two models with stabs on. It's got the torsion type rubber suspension. Whole trailer weighs less than 200 kg and sits nice behind the car.

Cheers,
Jason.
I had this same trailer Jason, except mine had a 2' extension that came to a point in front with another lid in front. 9' total length. I think they were from Australia too.
I traded the 'coffin trailer' off and got this one http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/the...ketrailer.html .
It's easy to tow and my mileage only changes by 1-2 MPG and it's so light I can pull it with my Subaru. They are fiberglass and have torsion bars. We loaded up 3 people and a bunch of warbirds a couple years ago and headed across the state for an event, it was a blast.
If you find one of the coffin trailers they ride better than any trailer I've had.

As far as carrying them in the cabin like the minivans, I'm not a big fan.

I've tried the large box trailers and hated them for the fuel loss and power required for the tow vehicle. For local runs or distance runs with friends helping to foot the fuel bill they are not bad.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Jetdesign

Can you guys comment on your experience with keeping composite planes in a trailer during the summer? I think this is my last consideration - trailer won't fit in garage unless I get a shorter version or do some work to the garage door frame (will be quite some time before I get to that). So either a short trailer in the garage, or a standard trailer kept outside.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Jason Arnold

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Can you guys comment on your experience with keeping composite planes in a trailer during the summer? I think this is my last consideration - trailer won't fit in garage unless I get a shorter version or do some work to the garage door frame (will be quite some time before I get to that). So either a short trailer in the garage, or a standard trailer kept outside.
G'day Joe,

My trailer is white and in summer (>40C) it is not hot inside. A mate has a dark blue trailer and it's like an oven on a hot day.

Moral of the story, make sure your trailer is white.

Cheers,
Jason.